Nagua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bata

Nov 21, 2004
Within the week I will be going to Nagua on a project - 2 week duration. From reading the postings of others, it seems I'll need to be staying outside of the town as noone seems to be able to recommend a place inside the town.
Can anyone tell me something about the town itself, as far as places/buildings? Except for sleeping and breakfast, my days will be spent in Nagua. Is there a supermercado there? What about a couple of decent eating places? I'm thinking wholesome food, not fancy. Is the area known for a particular dish? I am able to speak intermediate conversational spanish so i'm not concerned if the folks in the restaurant etc only speak spanish. If all else fails, my time before leaving is short, I plan to present myself to the local catholic church and ask if there is a priest assigned there that speaks english and get some info from him.
Por ahora ...

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Nagua?

I drove through it on the way to Las Terrenas - It's a pretty big town - stop signs and lots of cross streets, car dealers, etc.You will easily find your way about - there is probably a central square - as it looks to be an older town in the Spanish style. Sit down and have a coffee and it will just come to you.

If you get a break take a weekend in Las Terrenas for the sea and beach scene, which is not there in Nagua. Hire a local driver to bring you - it's a fantastic ride up through the mountains by the rice paddies.

When you come up, could you please buy all the cashews that are for sale on the side of the road and I will buy them off you and sell them to the local vendors here so that they can sell them to the tourists on the beach? Here they are trying to sell all the "free trade" American stuff to the European tourists. You can imagine how well that business is going!!

I would give you my cell phone number but the phone seems to have been preempted by a Dominican. Hey -- could someone who is reading this and speaks really great Spanish call 809-972-2511 and ask them to turn the phone into the Policia Turistica since I am only here to help? I have an income from the States - just down here to live in peace and maybe help out if I can. Thanks - Elizabeth

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Nagua has at least 50K people and at least 100K motorcycles. The town is know for its abundance of pasolas. Nagua is big enough to get mildly lost in and has plenty of stores, car dealers, part stores, small hotels, at least 2 supermarkets, several gas stations, internet places etc. In otherwords everything you would expect from a large town/small city.

As for hotel and resteraunts, i cant tell you the names of any or which are any good. To the best of my knowledge there are no places that specifically cater to foriegners (read as better quality). I wish I could help you more, but that is about all i know. If you find a decent place to eat there, let me know...

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Bata said:
Within the week I will be going to Nagua on a project - 2 week duration. From reading the postings of others, it seems I'll need to be staying outside of the town as noone seems to be able to recommend a place inside the town.
Can anyone tell me something about the town itself, as far as places/buildings? Except for sleeping and breakfast, my days will be spent in Nagua. Is there a supermercado there? What about a couple of decent eating places? I'm thinking wholesome food, not fancy. Is the area known for a particular dish? I am able to speak intermediate conversational spanish so i'm not concerned if the folks in the restaurant etc only speak spanish. If all else fails, my time before leaving is short, I plan to present myself to the local catholic church and ask if there is a priest assigned there that speaks english and get some info from him.
Por ahora ...

Actually, there is a decent hotel in the city of Nagua, which I would recommend. Hotel Saini. I apologize that I missplaced the card I kept with address and contact info. If I find it, I'll post again. Clean, comfortable rooms w/ AC and cable for a reasonable price. As far as other things you asked, I'm afraid I can't help much. I spent 2 days there last year, but I was being shown around by a local and didn't always know exactly where I was. it is actually quite a large town, and there are plenty of places to eat, as well as some night spots. There is a board member who lives there, I believe her username is N.C. Hopefully she or her novio chuckuindy will read this and help you out.

Last edited:

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Nagua hotel

I stayed in the hotel opposite the Caribe Tours office in the center of town.
It was clean with airco and only charged something like 600pesos. Can't remember the name of it or address.
Bartolomeo

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
we stayed in Nauga for a few days in August.

excellent supermarket on main street across from Scotiabank. it was the nicest one we found in the DR.

excellent family run restaurant called Comedor Hernandez. just on the way out of town towards Samana on the main highway. you'll cross 3 bridges first, about 2km out of town. it is an open-air restaurant on the seaside with a great view. very reasonable prices, good Dominican food and seafood.

very clean, mostly upper middle class Dominicans and business people. we ate there about 6 times. don't confuse it with the restaurant beside it that looks very similar as no one seems to eat there. meal prices around $150 $180 RD for the daily specials.

the hotel across from the Caribe tours is OK but very noisy. if you don't mind the conchos all night long then you're alright. there is also a disco there.

there is a very nice small Italian hotel, Hotel Cambri. it is also on the way to Samana and just before the restaurant. it is on the land side set back from the road. there is a big sign saying Little Italy and a pizzeria at the corner.
only nice hotel we found. 809-584-7066 www.hotelcambri.com

Nagua was very nice with a strong middle class. there's a pride of ownership. a concho guided us to two places downtown and refused any money. great Dominican town.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Gregg said:
the hotel across from the Caribe tours is OK but very noisy. if you don't mind the conchos all night long then you're alright. there is also a disco there.

I stayed at the top floor and didn't have problems with the noise. Next door is a bar where young people go, not a true disco. Off course it is in center of town, not in a very quiet area.

Bata

Nov 21, 2004
mountainannie said:
I drove through it on the way to Las Terrenas - It's a pretty big town - stop signs and lots of cross streets, car dealers, etc.You will easily find your way about - there is probably a central square - as it looks to be an older town in the Spanish style. Sit down and have a coffee and it will just come to you.

If you get a break take a weekend in Las Terrenas for the sea and beach scene, which is not there in Nagua. Hire a local driver to bring you - it's a fantastic ride up through the mountains by the rice paddies.

When you come up, could you please buy all the cashews that are for sale on the side of the road and I will buy them off you and sell them to the local vendors here so that they can sell them to the tourists on the beach? Here they are trying to sell all the "free trade" American stuff to the European tourists. You can imagine how well that business is going!!

I would give you my cell phone number but the phone seems to have been preempted by a Dominican. Hey -- could someone who is reading this and speaks really great Spanish call 809-972-2511 and ask them to turn the phone into the Policia Turistica since I am only here to help? I have an income from the States - just down here to live in peace and maybe help out if I can. Thanks - Elizabeth

Thank you for the info. Doubt i'll be getting much time on the weekend though.

Bata

Nov 21, 2004
sjh said:
Nagua has at least 50K people and at least 100K motorcycles. The town is know for its abundance of pasolas. Nagua is big enough to get mildly lost in and has plenty of stores, car dealers, part stores, small hotels, at least 2 supermarkets, several gas stations, internet places etc. In otherwords everything you would expect from a large town/small city.

As for hotel and resteraunts, i cant tell you the names of any or which are any good. To the best of my knowledge there are no places that specifically cater to foriegners (read as better quality). I wish I could help you more, but that is about all i know. If you find a decent place to eat there, let me know...

Thank you for the info. When i do return (by Christmas), I plan to post info. re: Nagua for future travelers.

Bata

Nov 21, 2004
sweetdbt said:
Actually, there is a decent hotel in the city of Nagua, which I would recommend. Hotel Saini. I apologize that I missplaced the card I kept with address and contact info. If I find it, I'll post again. Clean, comfortable rooms w/ AC and cable for a reasonable price. As far as other things you asked, I'm afraid I can't help much. I spent 2 days there last year, but I was being shown around by a local and didn't always know exactly where I was. it is actually quite a large town, and there are plenty of places to eat, as well as some night spots. There is a board member who lives there, I believe her username is N.C. Hopefully she or her novio chuckuindy will read this and help you out.

Thank you for the Nagua info. I'll post something for others when i return.

Bata

Nov 21, 2004
Bartolomeo67 said:
It was clean with airco and only charged something like 600pesos. Can't remember the name of it or address.
Bartolomeo

Thank you. I leave in a couple of days so do appreciate so many helpful responses and so quickly. Plan to post some info/thoughts when I return.

Bata

Nov 21, 2004
Gregg said:
we stayed in Nauga for a few days in August.

excellent supermarket on main street across from Scotiabank. it was the nicest one we found in the DR.

excellent family run restaurant called Comedor Hernandez. just on the way out of town towards Samana on the main highway. you'll cross 3 bridges first, about 2km out of town. it is an open-air restaurant on the seaside with a great view. very reasonable prices, good Dominican food and seafood.

very clean, mostly upper middle class Dominicans and business people. we ate there about 6 times. don't confuse it with the restaurant beside it that looks very similar as no one seems to eat there. meal prices around $150 $180 RD for the daily specials.

there is a very nice small Italian hotel, Hotel Cambri. it is also on the way to Samana and just before the restaurant. it is on the land side set back from the road. there is a big sign saying Little Italy and a pizzeria at the corner.
only nice hotel we found. 809-584-7066 www.hotelcambri.com

Nagua was very nice with a strong middle class. there's a pride of ownership. a concho guided us to two places downtown and refused any money. great Dominican town.

Thank you - I plan to print out several of the responses I've received. Once I return home, about mid- Dec. I plan to write my random thoughts with the hope that they will add to the info on Nagua. Imagine it'd be helpful to others, to read as many views as possible.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It has been some time, but

if it is still there you might ask someone in town if Vladimir's restaurant is still there. It used to be down the street from the Colegio Belen. Owned by a very light skinned guy. We always ate there on our way to Nagua.

Ask anyway...

HB :D:D Remembering those days!!

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
My wife lives in Nagua

Bartolomeo67 said:
Bartolomeo
The hotel is Aparta Central. basic but very nice and like he said 600 pesos per night. I stayed there before my wedding. There is also Gran Madrid on the road going out of town to Samana. It is and Italian hotel and VERY clean and nice. Regular rooms were 600 pesos in July, but I rented a suite for 900 (the exchange rate was MUCH better then you know). There are numerous good restaurants there. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. I can ask my wife if I don't know? How long will you be there? I am going down in January to be with my wife again, maybe we could meet for a cervesa or 2.

-Tim

swake

Oct 27, 2002
twincactus said:
There is also Gran Madrid on the road going out of town to Samana. It is and Italian hotel and VERY clean and nice.
-Tim
Ask for an oceanfront room if you must stay there. The merengue hangout on the backside is a real nuissance if you're a late sleeper. ;)
There is a nice restaurant on the main square, where the local young crowd meets on weekend nights.

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Domincans In South Wales

MY WIFE IS FROM NAGAU AND WE WERE MARRIED IN WALES I HAVE TWO STEP SONS WHO LIVE WITH US ONE IS 16 WANDERERSON THE OTHER WILLEY
Y WHO IS 14 YEARS OLD MY OTHER STEP SON LIVES IN NAGUA VITO HE IS 21 YEARS OLD, HOTEL CAMBRIA IS A VERY GOOD HOTEL TEL NO 809 5847066 www.hotelcambria.com I HAVE STAYED THERE AND OTHER FRIENDS OF MINE FROM WALES EVEN THE PRESIDENT OF THE D R STAYED THERE. MY WIFE SISTER LIVES IN WALES ALSO WITH HER CHILDREN, IF YOU ARE GOING TO NAGUA CALL AT 41 MARINO PEREZ NAGUA ASK FOR SIXTO OR MERCEDES MARTINEZ THEY ONLY SPEAK SPANISH BUT THERE NEPHEW RAPHEL SPEAKS GOOD ENGLISH FOR A DOM I HAVE BEEN TO D R 5 TIMES AND CANT WAIT TO GO BACK. I HAVE A FRIEND WHO HAS A HOUSE IN CABARETE FROM WALES ON HOILDAY AT THE MOMENT MY WIFE HAS FAMILY IN P PLATA ALSO MY FRIEND FROM WALES HAS A GIRL FRIEND IN NAGUA BYE FOR NOW VINCE AND GEREMIA

Last edited:

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Beware Hoilday Makers

The Hoilday From Hell Tourists Be-ware About Hoildaying In D R There Are More Bandits Thiev,s And Coruption Than Any Other Place We Have Visited Enjoying Our Stay We Went To Spend A Day At A Beach Named Playa Gringo On The North Coast Nr Nagua Our Children Were Swimming We Sat On The Beach When Two Local Men Rushed Towards Us And Held Us At Gun Point Tore The Gold Chains Off Our Necks They Ran Off Got On A Motor Bike And Were Gone Day Or Night You Are Taking Your Life In Your Own Hands The Goverment Knows What Going On But Do Nothing About Protecting Us People Who Take Our Well Earned Money And Spend In There Country. Mafia Is A Understatment For The People Running Such A Beautiful Island So Beware Do Not Trust A Soul On The Island From Hell They Have Since Caught The Bandits Who Also Held At Gun Point A Petrol Station And Shot One Of The Attendants Who Was Very Lucky To Survived Posted For A Friend From South Wales.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
vince1965, I was at Playa Gringo this past Monday just for a quick stop. Was it not clear to you simply by looking around that it is perhaps wise to take off the gold chains?

Status
Not open for further replies.