Mosquito coils

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Anyone out there have an idea on effects of the burning mosquito coil ?,
they seem to be very effective for a bug free night but at what expence health wise ?. Baygon dot com was not real helpfull....
look forward to your comments,
CG

Bata

Nov 21, 2004
coils

CG-LT said:
they seem to be very effective for a bug free night but at what expence health wise ?. Baygon dot com was not real helpfull....
CG

Have used coils and have never heard of or noticed any problems with myself or others. A forum on a Peace Corps web site might give you access to a number of folks who have used the green coils and are willing to provide feedback. Have you considered using a sleep sac and spraying it with a repellent?

I presently have a package of coils and the warning has to do with keeping children and animals away from them, making sure food is covered, using them in a ventalated place with little breeze/wind ... AND the package says they're not for indoor use. My experience was to use them for sleeping though the room was well ventalated ex. shutters for windows, walls that only went up about 4/5ths of the way. Also, I only used one at a time.

Last edited:

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Try out this one!

Bata said:
Have used coils and have never heard of or noticed any problems with myself or others. A forum on a Peace Corps web site might give you access to a number of folks who have used the green coils and are willing to provide feedback. Have you considered using a sleep sac and spraying it with a repellent?

I presently have a package of coils and the warning has to do with keeping children and animals away from them, making sure food is covered, using them in a ventalated place with little breeze/wind ... AND the package says they're not for indoor use. My experience was to use them for sleeping though the room was well ventalated ex. shutters for windows, walls that only went up about 4/5ths of the way. Also, I only used one at a time.

The pests don't bother with me any more they are into freash meat....
What I suggested to my Daughter this week who is visiting was that she put full strength Dominican Vanilla on her body, She said it works like a charm!

Gringo

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
CG-LT said:
CG

A simple problem has a simple solution for a "bug free night", if the purpose is for sleeping hours.

If you want an environmentally safe alternative, purchase a mosquitero, a mosquito net, to drape over your bed at night.

Regards,
PJT

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
perfectly good for your health

CG-LT said:
CG

the coil works by burning and created a smoke or vapour that is poisonous to mosquitos. this smoke needs to be thick enough and hang around long enough to kill the mosquito.

but no worries. you can breath it all you like. your lungs won't absorb any type of poison at all. as a matter of fact it will help clean out your lungs.

you see, the secret that no one tells is that they have invented a posion you can release by burning and inhale but it magically causes no harm. it is alot like those magic cigarettes in the 1940s and 50s that helped you breathe better.

beachlv

Sep 28, 2004
Gregg said:
...they have invented a posion you can release by burning and inhale but it magically causes no harm. it is alot like those magic cigarettes in the 1940s and 50s that helped you breathe better.
With all due respect to Gregg's opinion (an opinion, which I trust he has given honestly and without attempt to harm), I must disagree. There are mosquito coils on the market which are specifically labelled as toxic to humans (albeit, small print). When we lived in the bahamas we used them outdoors with great success, but would never use them in closed environs.

When it comes to mosquito coils, I am sure there are different brands, different ingredients, and therefore different risks associated with use. Please consult the packaging before using without adequate ventilation.

Call me paranoid, but, maybe its not a good thing to smoke it just because someone on a message board said it is good for the lungs. ;)

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
beachlv said:
With all due respect to Gregg's opinion (an opinion, which I trust he has given honestly and without attempt to harm), I must disagree. There are mosquito coils on the market which are specifically labelled as toxic to humans (albeit, small print). When we lived in the bahamas we used them outdoors with great success, but would never use them in closed environs.

When it comes to mosquito coils, I am sure there are different brands, different ingredients, and therefore different risks associated with use. Please consult the packaging before using without adequate ventilation.

Call me paranoid, but, maybe its not a good thing to smoke it just because someone on a message board said it is good for the lungs. ;)

ah, was just kidding. we are in 100% agreement. i meant "magical" in a sarcastic manner.

it is impossible to release a toxin by burning, inhaling it and thinking it will not hurt you.

however, i seriously did know a young teen who smoked the coils like cigarettes. he was a budding juvenile delinquent. probably moved on to glue or gas. it was a summer camp in Ontario more than 25 years ago.

Gregg