Occidental Allegro Playa Dorada-why do people hog the sunloungers??!!!!

abba23

Sep 30, 2004
Hey me and my family came over at the end of August and stayed at the Occidental Allegro in Playa Dorada for 2 weeks. We really enjoyed it.

Can I just say how nice and polite all the Dominican staff were. Whereas many of the German staff who ran the childrens clubs were very rude and arrogant!! They were very rigid with the set up of all the activities. Whereas I got the impression in Dominica that there was a manana attitude which I liked. But the German staff were very rude when telling people to leave the pool or to get out the table tennis area. However they did not ruin my holiday - how could they?!!

The entertainment staff at the hotel really brightened up our holiday. They all had their own little catch phrases and little sayings which just made us laugh!!! They seemed to work really hard to put on a good show!

But I don't think I could have survived without the A/C. I have some family who live in Puerto Plata and we stayed over at theirs a couple of nights and we were really dying and wishing to be back in the hotel with the A/C. Its pathetic isn't?! We are so English!!

And what is it with those people who get up at god knows what time to put their towels on the sunloungers around the pool????!!! I sat round the pool for many hours and saw that many of those sunloungers were left for about 5 hours til anyone came to sit on them!!! Especially the ones in the shade. There was times when my mum really would have appreciated sitting in the shade for a bit but couldn't as all the sunloungers were 'reserved'. It was a joke. People need to get a life and chill out and share the sunloungers!!!!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The towel over the sunloungers happens in other Islands as well. One of my sisters that travels every winter to a diffirent Islands has said the same thing. Towels on the chairs at the crack of dawn but no one ever sits in them. May I suggest that the towel be accidentally blown away. :nervous: I mean is there a name, personal items on the chair? If not just use it. :bandit:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The problem is that there isn't enough shade to go around nor enough lounge chairs. I was there in July and we had to put our towels on chairs at 7am to get some space. The sun is hot down here and when you can't find any shade to sit in, the day can be a bit long... We actually got into an argument with a couple because they ended up pulling their chairs up almost on top of ours to crowd into the bit of shade we weren't using. The girl complained long and loud that she couldn't sit in the sun because of her allergies, but an hour later she had pulled her chair into the sun and was cooking along...

TorontoTourist

Nov 16, 2004
bulls***T

Unless there was a name or personal items on any chair, that towel could have been left from the night before, if it was me and no one came back in 10 min, I'm sorry but you paid for that chair too, you can't go to a restaurant and put your coat on a chair in the morning and expect to have it still there at lunch.

And I'd be the first to tell the person when they came back that yes it's now on the floor, and they are the rude, selfish one! Stick up for yourself!

abba23

Sep 30, 2004
well I will let you into a secret! my younger brother was quite annoyed about the towels on the sunloungers aswell and after a night out drinking he passed the pool and a couple of the towels ended up in the pool!! whoops!!!

Me and my mum, as we are more mature, ended up moving the towel and using the lounger till the person came to use it and then we moved to a different one. No harm done!!!

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
TorontoTourist said:
Unless there was a name or personal items on any chair, that towel could have been left from the night before, if it was me and no one came back in 10 min, I'm sorry but you paid for that chair too, you can't go to a restaurant and put your coat on a chair in the morning and expect to have it still there at lunch.
And I'd be the first to tell the person when they came back that yes it's now on the floor, and they are the rude, selfish one! Stick up for yourself!

I agree...it is so rude that people try to "save" spots on the sun loungers. What I do when a I need a lounger and someone has deliberately left their towel for hours to save it--is simply move the towel and use the lounger. If the person comes back, I just say, "oh, really, that was YOUR towel? Well, someone must have moved it. Aww, that is too bad" (all said in a sweet voice and with a smile of course :) ). Works for me. Usually there isn't conflict. AND if someone was to get "rude" with me, I'd tell them in the nicest way possible, that it's just "TOO BAD baby!" ;)

dominicanflea

Aug 28, 2004
It sucks but...

As posted before, this is not the only place that it happens, in all honesty, it is very much a European thing. We encountered it in Spain, Egypt, Cuba, Dominican Republic, and even Thailand! I think it is rude and annoying, there would be enough chairs for everyone it people did not reserve them as most people only spend a total of around 3 hours at the beach... but as the old saying goes, 'when in rome...'
I think if everyone bands together and tosses the towls off, it may stop this annoying trend but that is in perfectland, more than likely you would just get in a fight with the 'reserver' and then it would make for poor vacation memories.... what to do??

bubba

Dec 15, 2003
10 Minute Rule

It happens at all resorts, I have seen people tie 5 towels together and then tie them to loungers. I usually watch a chair(s) for 10-15 minutes or if I see the person who put the towel on the chair leave the area I fold them up and set them to the side.

I have had a couple of people try and get in my face until I stand up. I am 6 foot 3 inches and 275 pounds so that usually ends that.

It is just the "rules don't apply to me, I am better than you" attitude.
This attitude comes from many nationalities not just Germans.

abba23

Sep 30, 2004
Just to make a point when I was only saying the German staff were rude in our hotel. I wasnt saying it was German people who were hogging the sunloungers as I think it was people of all nationalities. Just thought id make that point!

Keith&Cris

Aug 22, 2002
www.keithbroad.com
I'm Candian eh?

I'm Canadian, so perhaps I'm a bit of a 'woose'! Because so far I've treated those towels as legal bonified "claim stakes". But since reading this thread, THOSE TOWELS ARE GONE!!!!!! After 15 minutes, that lounger is mine and the towel is hucked somewhere into the bushes! Heck, those things are 'legal tender' or at least worth money if not returned, so anyone negligently leaving them un-attended on a lounger.... too bad, fool!

abba23 said:
Just to make a point when I was only saying the German staff were rude in our hotel. I wasnt saying it was German people who were hogging the sunloungers as I think it was people of all nationalities. Just thought id make that point!

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Hoarding Sun Loungers

The hogging of loungers is prevalent at ANY A-I. You have to be up and out to get your chair by 7:30 or 8:00 a.m. This happens all over the world. Staying on the Costa Del Sol in Spain, it happens every day with every nationality. This behaviour is certainly not exclusive to one resort. It is the way of it. That's why we decided to buy a place, we don't have to reserve our chairs!!!!

radiogirl99

Oct 8, 2004
I understand that the reserving of towels ritual is standard at most A-I's, but I think if all of them made a rule against it and actually enforced it, then that would make for a better solution. It is really frustrating to stand and look around at all of the chairs that sit empty with a towel draped over them while you don't have anywhere to sit. People really abuse this system when they leave their chairs sitting empty for hours while they eat, go shopping, and do whatever else. I don't think it makes for a very fun vacation when you have to wake up at the crack of dawn to reserve your chair for the day. I agree with the people who say that if there are no personal items on the chair you should just take the towel off and act dumb when the people come back to claim their chair!!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
It would be even better to actually stick the towel in your bag and make them pay the towel deposit fee upon check out. That should show them how well their 'lounge chair strategy' panned out.

You can always return the towel to the hotel if you would feel guilty about 'stealing.'

Niceaction

Jun 6, 2005
Im going to this hotel next Monday.

Believe me, after i've had a few in the evening, if I see any towels by the pool, they are going in it!

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Just go to Sosua Beach instead. Enough sunbeds and shade to everyone. Stay away from those bacteria innfected pools.

tom green

Mar 4, 2006
can anyone tell me how much the golf costs and just how from from the the hotel it is ,,i will be staying at the occidentol allegro playa dorada ....thank you ,,