Are travel qualifications any good in DR?

abba23

Sep 30, 2004
I am planning on coming over very soon to live for a while and will be looking for a job once I have got there. I have just graduated with a degree in Tourism Management for which I studied for 3 years. I also Studied Leisure & Tourism at college for 2 years before that. I also have at least 6 months work experience within the travel industry. Will these qualifications help me in finding a good job in the DR?

I also know that speaking different languages is a huge benefit. I have basic qualifications in Spanish and French. I intend to further my Spanish before I come.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What do you consider a good job?

Fluent Spanish is often a requirement for tourism related positions.
You will also have a lot of competition from local bilingual people with tourism degrees.

Why are you moving here?

abba23

Sep 30, 2004
I have family who moved over there a couple of years ago and we recently visited them. I loved it and would like to move over for a while at some point.

What do I consider a good job.....mmmm... not sure really. I would like a tourism related job as it is what interests me and obviously with reasonable pay. But im quite open to employment (if that makes sense?!). I don't have a clue what kind of career I want for myself and just at a crossroads in my life (im only 23). And im easy basically I just want a chilled out life with a job I enjoy which pays the bills and maybe a bit more!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
My sister has a very good friend from back when she was studying French that went to Switzerland for a post-graduate degree in Hotel Administration. He's now touring the world, working in different hotels as an intern. He came here last December researching about the possibility of coming back to work here, he laughed when hearing what salaries are been paid. He REALLY wants to come back but the offers he's got abroad far surpass what he's been offered here.

So... the point is, if you are used to making big bucks, this is not the time and the place.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
sorry but,,,,

abba23 said:
I have family who moved over there a couple of years ago and we recently visited them. I loved it and would like to move over for a while at some point.

What do I consider a good job.....mmmm... not sure really. I would like a tourism related job as it is what interests me and obviously with reasonable pay. But im quite open to employment (if that makes sense?!). I don't have a clue what kind of career I want for myself and just at a crossroads in my life (im only 23). And im easy basically I just want a chilled out life with a job I enjoy which pays the bills and maybe a bit more!

A chilled out life at the age of twenty three ??
A chilled out life in the hospitality buisness ??

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Area?

What are do you intend to live in? Will you get a work visa or residencia? YOu need these to work in certain areas.

Yes there are jobs! From personal experience it is hard to find administrative and management staff with good work habits.

But, I will warn you - the pay is not what you think it will be!!!

Let us know where you intend to settle and maybe we can be of more help to you.

abba23

Sep 30, 2004
I know im only 23 and I want a chilled out life but that is only because my life has been very hectic and have gone through some pretty tough times!! So I would love to be able to chill a bit.

My family live in Puerto Plata, so it will around there that I intend to stay. And you know I may not stay forever I might end up missing the hecticness and the stressfulness of England!!!