Question to all DR residents!!!

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
It would be interesting to find out the answer. There are a lot of negative feedback about this country posted daily. We talk about "corruption" we see it everywhere because it is "small change corruption" how about the "big $ corruption" in our countries? Corruption affects the poor more than anyone in society. I do believe than when you have a problem and you call your friends or spread some money around the "problem" dissapear. Can you do it back home? Back home; your lawyer is the one that'll be singing on his way to the bank. When your "problem" in the DR is solved, did you call it corruption or do you see yourself as corrupted?

We have to look for the word "hypocrisy" in a dictionary near you.

Dominicans are fellow human beings that have the same "wants" as we have. They also want to retire in their 50's 60's to a nice gated community and enjoy the company of a nice 18- 19- 20 year old girl. Unfortunally a factory worker, a peasant or a middle class family can not hope to achieve this dream. Can you really crucify a poor person for trying to steal from you some small change to feed their family (in most cases)?

All of you in disagreement are invited to look into another retirement paradise.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
tomgallo said:
...Can you really crucify a poor person for trying to steal from you some small change to feed their family (in most cases)?...

of course i can! what you're saying is really stupid. no offence. so i say: 'well that guy over there has way more money than i do, and he also has a better job than i do, so if i steal from him a little it won't bankrupt him". does that mean just because someone is better off than i am i have a right to steal from him?

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
If I catch someone stealing, regardless if its to feed their family of buy crack, you bet I can blame them.....right after I pop a cap in their asses.(I always wanted to use that phrase)

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
liam1 said:
of course i can! what you're saying is really stupid. no offence. so i say: 'well that guy over there has way more money than i do, and he also has a better job than i do, so if i steal from him a little it won't bankrupt him". does that mean just because someone is better off than i am i have a right to steal from him?

oooops.. My point of view is not intended for high school dropouts!!!!

What I said is to be interpreted not as "stealing" break and enter etc... By reading my post I meant "stealing in the cheating sense" i.e overcharging etc.in a situation where you can say "no, thanks". Stealing is a criminal act, a felony. No one can condone stealing not even to feed a family.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tom: Generally speaking

people that might try to overcharge you during a purchase are likely to have more money than you.

Of course in the tourist areas, everyone is out to feather the old nest. Why not? These are people that are looking for fun and if I can make them laugh and charge them a few busck more for these trinkets, why not??

Of course, then there are the real pros, the real estate developers that sell options to purchase as if they were the property titles...You know who I mean on the North Shore...But these are out and out thieves.

Yesterday, someone stole my grandson's Game Cube. Not any of the cables or power plugs were taken, just the box. Either =very stupid or very much in a hurry...no matter. this is the second small, niusance robbery we have had this past two months. Eventually, someone will be caught and very badly hurt, "trying to escape". So be it.

The head of security arrested a group of small boys the day before yesterday as they were sealing the reflectors along the university's roadways. They had bags full of the things. They told the Police that their parents had told them (the kids) "to go out and find your Christmas money".....

Sad, oh so sad...

HB :(

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hillbilly said:
The head of security arrested a group of small boys the day before yesterday as they were sealing the reflectors along the university's roadways. They had bags full of the things. They told the Police that their parents had told them (the kids) "to go out and find your Christmas money".....

Sad, oh so sad...

HB :(

I cannot bear it when kids are shown the wrong way to go!

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
man with a gun

tomgallo said:
oooops.. My point of view is not intended for high school dropouts!!!!

What I said is to be interpreted not as "stealing" break and enter etc... By reading my post I meant "stealing in the cheating sense" i.e overcharging etc.in a situation where you can say "no, thanks". Stealing is a criminal act, a felony. No one can condone stealing not even to feed a family.

Suppose a man with a gun demanded 3,000 pesos, and suppose that man also had a badge and claimed you ran a light or man a wrong turn. Is that stealing? or customs that won't free up your package without a tip. Is that stealing.

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
dogstar said:
Suppose a man with a gun demanded 3,000 pesos, and suppose that man also had a badge and claimed you ran a light or man a wrong turn. Is that stealing? or customs that won't free up your package without a tip. Is that stealing.
That's right dogstar!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
dogstar said:

Yes, that is stealing!

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
what goes around comes around...

I know this Dominican guy who worked the beaches for years selling (scamming) tourists with the fake watches and Cuban (yeah right) cigars and all that other junk people buy...tourists need to remember to pack their brain when traveling and not pretend that they?ve beamed to another planet. This guy made a tone of money selling that crap for years and good for him but then comes the fun part?Being a bottom feeding scumbag he had no idea how to run a real business and when he took that money he ?earned? and opened a bar all he got was a bunch of his scumbag friends come around and all of them being Dominican (the best part) and friends, they all drank fiado (on credit).

Make a long story short all these ?friends? never paid their tabs and bankrupted his biz and what ever money he had left went the way of Baninter?and justice for all.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
tomgallo said:
We have to look for the word "hypocrisy" in a dictionary near you.

Dominicans are fellow human beings that have the same "wants" as we have. They also want to retire in their 50's 60's to a nice gated community and enjoy the company of a nice 18- 19- 20 year old girl. Unfortunally a factory worker, a peasant or a middle class family can not hope to achieve this dream. Can you really crucify a poor person for trying to steal from you some small change to feed their family (in most cases)?

All of you in disagreement are invited to look into another retirement paradise.
Thanks for the invite but no thanks. Pretty nice of you to extend it though.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Small Time" Dominican Corruption??????????????

The "Baninter" corruption comes in at around two Billion US! That is with a "B"! Or 1/4 of the DR's "GNP"! There are lots of petty thieves here,lots of midlevel government scams,and,yes,even huge corruption on a "First World" scale! Do your "homework",read the DR1 news every day! To say that DR corruption is only "Small Time" labels you as someone who doesn't know what you are talking about! :eek:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PS.!
Dominicans of the lower socio-economic class,most of the Country,tend to take advantage of you,the "better" you treat them.They see you as "stupid",and an easy mark.
I had a maid about 6 years ago who we treated very well.Color TV,fan,eat what we ate,weekends off.After a while she asked if her 5 year old could stay with her during the week,I said "OK".We noticed that food,and some of our childrens clothes were seemingly disappearing.One Sat.,as the maid was prepared to go home for the weekend,my wife called her upstairs,while my sister-in-law went through the maids bags.Frozen meat,tuna,olive oil,childrens clothes,etc.we confronted her,she sang the Dominican National Anthem,"I'm Sorry"! It will never happen again,You got that part right! "Your Fired!"I only did it to feed my daughter!"'Hey,I,m feeding your daughter"!

She was nothing more than a common thief!Weather you steal with a "pen",or a "Gun",or by "hand" you are a thief!
"NO!!!",I don't think stealing to "Feed" your family is any kind of a defense!
Just see these "Feed The Family" thieves getting drunk and playing Dominoes all weekend long!

I like the Muslim way,"Cut Off Their Hands!"

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
samiam said:
If I catch someone stealing, regardless if its to feed their family of buy crack, you bet I can blame them.....right after I pop a cap in their asses.(I always wanted to use that phrase)
I agree with you 100%.

In this world there are many types of poor people who fall into one of two categories:

Category A: Poors with dignity who would never sell their souls or dignity under any circumstances (ie. They will never steal regardless of their situation)

and then there is category B: Poor who don't give a damn about their dignity or soul and steal when the opportunity arises.

Now, why should I pardon a poor person without dignity who stole from me due to his/her circumstances when there are many other poor people (some in even worst shape) who would never in their minds think of stealing?

You steal, you pay, end of story. Absolutely nothing justifies crime in anysense, regardless of the motives.

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
Criss Colon said:
The "Baninter" corruption comes in at around two Billion US! That is with a "B"! Or 1/4 of the DR's "GNP"! There are lots of petty thieves here,lots of midlevel government scams,and,yes,even huge corruption on a "First World" scale! Do your "homework",read the DR1 news every day! To say that DR corruption is only "Small Time" labels you as someone who doesn't know what you are talking about! :eek:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PS.!
Dominicans of the lower socio-economic class,most of the Country,tend to take advantage of you,the "better" you treat them.They see you as "stupid",and an easy mark.
I had a maid about 6 years ago who we treated very well.Color TV,fan,eat what we ate,weekends off.After a while she asked if her 5 year old could stay with her during the week,I said "OK".We noticed that food,and some of our childrens clothes were seemingly disappearing.One Sat.,as the maid was prepared to go home for the weekend,my wife called her upstairs,while my sister-in-law went through the maids bags.Frozen meat,tuna,olive oil,childrens clothes,etc.we confronted her,she sang the Dominican National Anthem,"I'm Sorry"! It will never happen again,You got that part right! "Your Fired!"I only did it to feed my daughter!"'Hey,I,m feeding your daughter"!

She was nothing more than a common thief!Weather you steal with a "pen",or a "Gun",or by "hand" you are a thief!
"NO!!!",I don't think stealing to "Feed" your family is any kind of a defense!
Just see these "Feed The Family" thieves getting drunk and playing Dominoes all weekend long!

I like the Muslim way,"Cut Off Their Hands!"

Well I was referring to "small time" because this type is the one you'll encounter in your daily life. The Baninter situation may not affect you or me directly and will affect the whole country; that is divided by 11 mill. My meaning was directed to the situation you have just mentioned here. I would not have done what you did in this situation. What she took from you'll not break your bank account or make you poorer. How about her telling the truth? In my opinion, I will not take the risk of being wrong.

I used to think like you in more or less the same lines until I did something similar to another human being to find later that I was wrong. I told myself that I will never behave in that fashion again.

I think that I would go the "Christian way instead of the Muslim way"

-WHAT MAKES YOU RICH IS NOT WHAT YOU GET OR WHAT YOU HAVE, BUT WHAT YOU GIVE.