Hey My DR1 People.. need some advice for a good friend

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Hey everybody.... need some good advice for one of my best friends.....

he`s 25 years old, lives in Santiago, DR. and knows perfect english...... also he has a major in Business management in Pontificia Universidad Catolica Madre y Maestra (PUCMM) and works at a very respectful company in Santiago.......

The thing is that he wants to leave the country and go work and live in the United States, and, of course he doesnt have legal papers to stay..... he has family there that are willing to help him out, friends that have jobs for him, he even has a girlfriend there.... he is an only child and wants to make things happen in his life to have a better future....
he has everything to make it work in NY but has is not a resident nor does he have a work visa, just a normal tourist visa

I tried to help him out but he wants to hear from people that are there and know what it`s all about.... Of course right away i came to my DR1 people for advise for the kid.....

What do u guys think.....
Thanks a lot in advance

STIOP

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
He needs to get a job offer in writing

And request a work visa to the US. Ortherwise he should be patient, marry his girl friend and have her do the filing, or as others have suggested, get a fianc? visa which seems to be quicker.

The basic point is this: He must be legal in the US if he wants to get ahead. He cant go around scurrying from the INS or the security people.

Also, as an illegal alien, he will never, no matter what people say, be paid enough for his work.

I think that a little time and patience can make this happen.

HB :D:D

It occurs to me that he could apply to a graduate program, if he has decent grades...there are a lot of programs.

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
Hillbilly said:
And request a work visa to the US. Ortherwise he should be patient, marry his girl friend and have her do the filing, or as others have suggested, get a fianc? visa which seems to be quicker.

The basic point is this: He must be legal in the US if he wants to get ahead. He cant go around scurrying from the INS or the security people.

Also, as an illegal alien, he will never, no matter what people say, be paid enough for his work.

I think that a little time and patience can make this happen.

It occurs to me that he could apply to a graduate program, if he has decent grades...there are a lot of programs.

What about his girlfriend...? can she get 'em a fiancee visa...? and then proceed with permanent status...?

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
thanks hillbilly

hey thank you very much for your help HillBilly

i`ll make sure that he gets all of your replys to help him out.......

gracias

STIOP

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
STIOP said:

he`s 25 years old, lives in Santiago, DR. and knows perfect english...... also he has a major in Business management in Pontificia Universidad Catolica Madre y Maestra (PUCMM) and works at a very respectful company in Santiago.......

The thing is that he wants to leave the country and go work and live in the United States, and, of course he doesnt have legal papers to stay..... he has family there that are willing to help him out, friends that have jobs for him, he even has a girlfriend there.... he is an only child and wants to make things happen in his life to have a better future....
he has everything to make it work in NY but has is not a resident nor does he have a work visa, just a normal tourist visa

I tried to help him out but he wants to hear from people that are there and know what it`s all about.... Of course right away i came to my DR1 people for advise for the kid.....

Thanks a lot in advance

STIOP

Why do you want to be a 2nd class citizen in another country when you can be a 1st class citizen in your own country.

It is not worth it! Yes, you would be able to have a garage sale; bigger house size and bigger debts. As a human being you would not improve anything but to be a bigger and respected full of debt consumer. Then when you travel with your american passport you would have to say that you're a Canadian.

In the USA you would be classified as a :

a) white latino or
b) latino (meaning indian, mulatto, black etc.)

You are much better off if you come to Canada instead. More of a just society and Canadians are not the "in your face type"

Please, take this advice as a first rate personal experience plus a good deal of research on this topic including advising for a fee.

Good LUck!!!

tomgallo said:
Why do you want to be a 2nd class citizen in another country when you can be a 1st class citizen in your own country.

It is not worth it! Yes, you would be able to have a garage sale; bigger house size and bigger debts. As a human being you would not improve anything but to be a bigger and respected full of debt consumer. Then when you travel with your american passport you would have to say that you're a Canadian.

In the USA you would be classified as a :

a) white latino or
b) latino (meaning indian, mulatto, black etc.)

You are much better off if you come to Canada instead. More of a just society and Canadians are not the "in your face type"

Please, take this advice as a first rate personal experience plus a good deal of research on this topic including advising for a fee.

Good LUck!!!

Why in the hell would he want to leave Santiago to go freeze up in the artic circle, Come on lets be for real. ;)

Why do you think all you Canadians are in DR because it is too damm cold up there!!!

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
I have a friend in a similar situation in Santiago - also a graduate of la ucamaima, he has already had his interview, his paperwork is all in, one of his cousin's is married to a minnesota twin so money is not an issue, and he has a job lined up for him in minneapolis, but still he has heard nothing - the US embassy said he would have a reply by July.

Hillbilly's suggestion of graduate school may be helpful. Tell him to look into different programs. Since PUCMM is a good school it may help him get in.

The girlfriend can try - but in the eyes of the u.s. embassy, a educated santiaguero is the same as a sanky.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not quite

But if he had an "interview" that sort of means that he is requesting residence, doesn't it?

Can't do much now until they decide on that.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
tomgallo said:

I have to respond to this... Simply one answer, experience. If I did not leave my home country (which I love) I would not have had an eighth of the experience which make me a human being today. Let the man go and learn something else... experience something else... and decide whether to come back or not. (Hopefully not by yola..!)

It should be mandatory 'world policy' for every citizen of the world to spend a year in the US, a year in Europe, a year in the middle east and year in the Far East...

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Chris said:
I have to respond to this... Simply one answer, experience. If I did not leave my home country (which I love) I would not have had an eighth of the experience which make me a human being today. Let the man go and learn something else... experience something else... and decide whether to come back or not. (Hopefully not by yola..!)

It should be mandatory 'world policy' for every citizen of the world to spend a year in the US, a year in Europe, a year in the middle east and year in the Far East...

Include Africa and Australia just for the hell of it!! It's like visiting Heaven or Hell, you take your pick

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
PuertoRican2 said:
Que venga en yola !
le sale mas facil

Thanx for the offer but i dont think that a Dominican that went to one of the best university in the country is gonna take a yola to Puerto Rico...I don't think he is that desperate.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
PuertoRican2 said:
Que venga en yola !
le sale mas facil

If you guys did not have them tits that you guys have been sucking on for so long you would be the ones taking them yolas toward this way.

jskr1us

Apr 29, 2003
Legality is the only way to go to the US & Prosper

What I am recommending is based on personal knowledge. I don't care how you do it but do it legally and get your residency at least. I am aware of many people who did not do so and now regret not doing so. In one case even though a girl later married an US citizen (she and her daughter entered the US illegally) she was deported and now is barred from re entry to the states. The tragedy is that her daughter only speaks English and is entrenched in the US culture and finds it very difficult to get along in her new situation. Good luck! The US does offer opportunity to all who are willing to work for it (but you do need to work for it you will not be given it on a silver platter as some expect). :glasses:

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
jskr1us said:
What I am recommending is based on personal knowledge. I don't care how you do it but do it legally and get your residency at least. I am aware of many people who did not do so and now regret not doing so. In one case even though a girl later married an US citizen (she and her daughter entered the US illegally) she was deported and now is barred from re entry to the states. The tragedy is that her daughter only speaks English and is entrenched in the US culture and finds it very difficult to get along in her new situation. Good luck! The US does offer opportunity to all who are willing to work for it (but you do need to work for it you will not be given it on a silver platter as some expect). :glasses:

Couldn't have said it better myself. People seem to think that the government will hand you everything like they do in the DR but when they get to the US they realize that they have to work for theirs. I won't lie, I want more money that I could ever spend but I always appreciate a good work ethic. If and when I decide to start up a company, it won't be in the DR even though there are plenty of hard-working Dominicans out there but all the companies took them :ermm: . Ok, I digress. Back to the original question, he could work on that fiancee visa but he should get on the ball RIGHT NOW!!! Good luck to your friend.

sajomagirl

Jan 2, 2005
www.stores.ebay.com
advise for your friend

Hello,
You said your friend have a girlfrind living here (us) she can apply for a K1 visa for him and only takes like 6 month to get here , is a visa where they give you a 3 month of visa and you get merried before your 90 days and then , they have to apply for his change status , because the k1 visa is a temporary visa for get merried in us, I have 8 month living here i came with a k1 visa I got merried a month after get here and now I'm just waiting for my recidence. Maybe this can help a little , if you have any question and I can help don't be scare to write me.
Good luck
Yesenia (sajomagirl)
STIOP said:

Thanks a lot in advance

STIOP