Cabrera...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anj

Nov 21, 2004
Hello! I'm planning a trip to DR on Dec 17 for 10 days. I'd like to go off the resort (myself) for a day or two. I was originally planning to go to Puerto Plata (mostly to purchase some amber jewelry and eat some local cuisine). However, someone else on dr1.com told me that Puerto Plata is 90 minutes from my resort in Rio San Juan. In place, they suggested the town of Cabrera as a possible substitute. Does anyone know anything about this city? Is there a jewelry store there that I could buy some things? I'm also looking for some coffee beans, vanilla etc etc... a few other local products. I would rather travel the shorter distance to Cabrera than Puerto Plata seeing as I'll be using a local guagua to get there to keep costs down, however, I haven't been able to get in touch with the person from dr1.com that suggested the city of Cabrera... does anyone here know anything about it?

Thanks in advance for all the help and support... you guys are just great!
*hugz*

Anj ;)

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
Pop trip may be worthwhile.

If you will be in Cabrera a few days a half-day trip to Pop by the north coast is not so bad. It may be worthwhile just to do something different. Cabrera is a small town anyways. What do you think?

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
I live in Cabrera and I love it here. It is a nice small town about 15 minutes east of Rio San Juan. Honestly, you wont find much in Cabrera that you cant find in RSJ except better roads. Also Cabrera has almost nothing in the way of stores that cater to tourists while RSJ seems to have plenty.

It would be nice if you came to walk around town to get a look at a real Dominican town.

Anj

Nov 21, 2004
sjh said:
I live in Cabrera and I love it here. It is a nice small town about 15 minutes east of Rio San Juan. Honestly, you wont find much in Cabrera that you cant find in RSJ except better roads. Also Cabrera has almost nothing in the way of stores that cater to tourists while RSJ seems to have plenty.

It would be nice if you came to walk around town to get a look at a real Dominican town.

You LIVE THERE? COOOOOOL.. then you could be my guide! I'm not necessarily looking for stores that cater to tourists.... I went into a market once outside of POP and that's where I got the coffee and vanilla from, it's my favourite item to bring home, it helps me keep the memory of such a wonderful country all year long (I only go to DR once per year, at Christmas time). The biggest thing that I need to locate is a jewelry store that sells amber. My mom wants a pair of amber earrings, could I get those in Rio San Juan or Cabrera? I'd LOVE to come to Cabrera for a 1/2 or day to spend with you! I've never had any authentic DR food because I was afraid to try it and don't really know what to try (LOL). I speak some Spanish, but I would love to meet someone in DR.. that would be so much fun. My husband and I fly in Dec 18 and leave Dec 26. Could we meet up in Cabrera? Or San Juan? Please email me, or send me a private message (ms.michaud@teacher.com)

Cheers!

Andr?a

Anj

Nov 21, 2004
Spirit7 said:
If you will be in Cabrera a few days a half-day trip to Pop by the north coast is not so bad. It may be worthwhile just to do something different. Cabrera is a small town anyways. What do you think?

I would like to go POP, but someone quoted me a price for a van that was 4500 pesos!!!! I don't have that mucn money to bring with me. I want to go, but that's WAY out of my price range! Then when I found out POP is 90 mins from San Juan.... I figured that's why it's so expensive. Does Cabrera have a jewelry store? That's the most thing I have to find for my mom.. other than that... the other things are just trivial things I'd like to bring home (coffee, vanilla, rum)

Andrea

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If you speak Spanish, and really want to go to Puerto Plata, find a "carrito" from Rio San Juan to Sos?a. They have a light blue taxi-like top on them that says "Rio San Juan-Sos?a". In March, we took one of them from Gaspar Hern?ndez (before Rio San Juan) to Puerto Plata for 450 pesos one way. It would be a bit more from Rio San Juan, but not 4500 pesos!

What you do is pay for all the seats in the car...and then negotiate with the driver to take you all the way to Puerto Plata instead of changing cars in Sos?a.

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
buying amber

Rio San Juan has some places where you can buy Amber jewelry - Tienda Anna which is on the main street into RSJ, on the corner, across from the Casa de Cambio and there are other little stores along the main street that you can take a look at.

If you want good quality jewelry, it is worth the trip to POP and make a stop at Plaza Las Americas (across from Caribe Tours Bus Station) - it has a pawn shop and I have found some very nice pieces of Larimar set in gold for very good prices. Much cheaper than what you would find in RSJ.

Rosanie

bhale

Mar 1, 2004
sjh,
Since you live in Cabrera, do you know anything about Baoba Beach, and the small hotel and lots there? Is this a going project or has it been abandoned? I am trying to contact someone about the sales, but haven't got any replies. I stay in Sosua when in the DR. Would I like Cabrera? I'm not a big partyer,but I do like a variety of good bars and restaurants.

Status
Not open for further replies.