Dominican Folklore

HHWisdom4me

Nov 29, 2004
Hello all,
I'm new to DR1 and I'm very excited to find an internet source to connect me with my fellow Dominicans.
I need help, I'm looking for books, children's books if possible that speak about Dominican history and Folklore either in English or Spanish. The only thing I've found so far in my search is Las Huellas Secretas, by Julia Alvarez.
Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

Last edited:

David Heredia

Jul 11, 2005
www.herediadesigns.com
Domincan Children's Books

HHWisdom,

My name is David Heredia. I am a Dominican artist. I recently got one of my children's coloring books "Yazmine's First Trip to Puerto Rico" picked up at NYC Museo Del Barrio. The online success of this coloring book has provided me with the finance and confidence to tackle my main goal for the year. Namely, a full color, children's book about The Dominican Republic. I am currently writing and reviewing the first draft. My expected date of completion is February 2006.

I would love to keep you posted in the future about the progress about this book and would love to get your opinion of the book once it's written. The book will be written in Both English and Spanish. If you would like to take a look at some of the other work I have done, feel free to check out the company website a http://www.herediadesigns.com.

I would love to get some feedback about the content on the site. Send me an email and I will add you to my list. I hope that this is helpful to you. Have a fantastic day and keep in touch.

David Heredia
herediadesigns.com

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
David Heredia said:
HHWisdom,

My name is David Heredia. I am a Dominican artist. I recently got one of my children's coloring books "Yazmine's First Trip to Puerto Rico" picked up at NYC Museo Del Barrio. The online success of this coloring book has provided me with the finance and confidence to tackle my main goal for the year. Namely, a full color, children's book about The Dominican Republic. I am currently writing and reviewing the first draft. My expected date of completion is February 2006.

I would love to keep you posted in the future about the progress about this book and would love to get your opinion of the book once it's written. The book will be written in Both English and Spanish. If you would like to take a look at some of the other work I have done, feel free to check out the company website a http://www.herediadesigns.com.

I would love to get some feedback about the content on the site. Send me an email and I will add you to my list. I hope that this is helpful to you. Have a fantastic day and keep in touch.

David Heredia
herediadesigns.com

David, your site is artistically sound, but conceptually flawed. Does your statement "I don't agree with war, but still support the brave men and women that are out there risking their lives" also include the local Iraqi insurgents fighting the foreign invaders? I'm not trying to argue, it's just that I'm an incorrigible pacifist and believe that children's books should be free from guns and wars.

Yari

Aug 18, 2005
Please let us all know when your dominican children's book is on the stands...I would definately be interested in checking it out...

Just curious, being a dominican artist & all, why did your PR childrens (coloring)book come first?

David Heredia

Jul 11, 2005
www.herediadesigns.com
Not Conceptually Flawed, just misinterpreted

Mirador,

Thanks for your kind words on my artistic expression. As for my verbal expression on war; sorry to confuse you, I am not referring to insurgents. I am referring to American soldiers. How does one act when foriegner invade your nation to control your oil and say they are there to set up governments. What ever happened to afghanistan and bin laden? He was the one we had problems with, not Iraqis. Yet soldiers are dying almost daily for a cause that is not exactly clear to many.

None of my children's book support guns or war. I don't even draw guns.

I respect your views on being a consciencous objector. Understand that I consider myself american, I do not agree with the way the country is being run. You'd think that with all the advances man has made in technology, we could figure out a better way to solve our differences with people rather than go to war..

David Heredia

Jul 11, 2005
www.herediadesigns.com
Yari,

it was a timing issue. I thought I had enough time to do the PR parade in June and the Dr parade in August. So I started with the PR book. It took too much time to begin the DR one and missed the DR parade. (I actually ended up moving to California and missed the DR parade in NY all together.) Anyway, I'm glad I did because now I have a stronger more imaginative story to offer in this children's book entitled "All aboard the Domincan Express."

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Mitos y leyendas..

Are you looking only for children's books on Dominican folklore? I can recommend a book on the topic you are researching, but it is heavy on the supernatural. It is definitely adult reading material. :ermm:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
A new publication by Teaching for Change was launched with highly respected authors:
http://www.teachingforchange.org/re...ons/Dominican_Republic/dominican_republic.htm

The book is a compendium of articles/poems as well as a workbook. It's all about being proud to be Dominican-American. The target audience is young children. Here is the Foreword by Julia Alvarez:

Forward (By Julia Alvarez):

"Hold tight to the string of print, and slowly spool the stories, the poems, the essays, the testimonials into yourself... you will discover what it means to be a Dominican immigrant, bringing to the United States of America a rich and complicated history, a set of assumptions, expectations, dreams and fears."