surname :GRACESQUI

DOMIERICAN

May 17, 2004
Maybe someone here can help....
I am doing some research on the family name "Gracesqui". Maybe someone has some information on where the name originates from ( I believe Poland), and how come/when the Gracesqui came to call "La Republica Dominicana" home.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Google and you shall find

... that indeed yes, it comes up as a Dominican surname. I haven't got any information for the OP though.

The only thing that struck me is that we have a poster here (GREATZKY?) whose name is spelt differently but phonetically it could be the same. Not sure if s/he is even Dominican though.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Gracesqui

In the olden days there was a penchant in the DR to write down names phonetically. For example, in my family the original Velter became Beltr?. I suggest you explore different spelling versions such as Gracesci, Grecesci, Gracescu, Grecescu, etc. Actually, your surname sounds Romanian or Moldavian.

Mirador

DOMIERICAN

May 17, 2004
Not Polish??

I would have orginally thought the same thing, however tack and sky (after removing the q) on the end and you magically have a very polish last name : Gracesky or add a w and an sky and once again, Gracewsky, a polish name is born. However my question is, at one time or another was there an influx of polish immigrants in the RD. If so, why?
From what I has read, the name "Gracesqui", existed on the island in the mid 1800's. There is a record of a Gracesqui purchasing land.
Suggestions and hypothesis are welcome.

DOMIERICAN

May 17, 2004
La_Barbie

From your messages I understand that you live in Canada. Is you family orginally from RD and Polish? Or do you, like many of us, just enjoy the beauty of this gorgeous country?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
DOMIERICAN said:
However my question is, at one time or another was there an influx of polish immigrants in the RD. If so, why?

There was an influx of Jewish immigrants during world war dos.

There is a record of a Gracesqui purchasing land.
Suggestions and hypothesis are welcome.

I think you need to contact a lawyer for this one. Take a trip. make an appointment and find out. I don't think their land transactions are on computer yet so I'm sure it's not that easy for someone on a message board to answer your question.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
i am from poland... but i live in canada now... if that name was spelt different than ya, i would say its polish, but the way its spelt it is no where close

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I asked my daughter Penelope, who is into genealogy, to do a quick search based on possible combinations or permutations of the spelling, and she suggested that the name could possibly derive from 'Francesqui'.

Mirador

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Everywhere in the world the spelling of names evolves with time and especially migration. Think of all the Americans whose names were 'chosen' by immigration clerks at Ellis Island who couldn't manage the Polish, Russian or German spellings. Many people also chose to anglicise their names to appear less foreign.

My own surname has a Y at the end which is a clear attempt to make it appear more English. It might have been a British colonial official trying to make sense of a foreign name, or an ancestor trying to blend in. You get that in the DR with surnames of Italian origin like Alberti which are spelt 'Alberty'. Where I come from there are lots of people called Parody, which is very silly indeed. The original Italian surname is Parodi, but I guess some people thought 'Parody' looked more English!

In the DR you come across this sort of thing quite a lot: adaptations of French surnames like Du Prez (Dipre) that probably arrived here via Haiti, English surnames like Barrett (Baret) and so on. It's bound to happen when there is such a strong oral culture and a relatively weak written tradition, until recently at least.

I think I've mentioned before the friend who has a name that looks like a typo because the person who wrote out his birth certificate was dyslexic, and his parents weren't paying enough attention! He goes by the name his parents chose in everyday life, but in official documents he has to use the name as it appears on the birth certificate.

The Gracesqui name could be Polish (and there are some Polish Jewish names here that pre-date the Jewish immigrants of the 1940s), French, or something completely different. If you know which part of the country your grandparent was from you could try the parish records for birth, marriage and death certificates.

I know my husband got pretty good results this way while researching his family tree in search of the famous Guzman inheritance. BTW he is eligible, so when it comes through, the drinks are on him. ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are

Four Gracesqui in the Santiago phone book, all live in lower middle income areas of town.
Tomorrow I'll cal a couple and see what they can tell me.

HB :D

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Chirimoya said:
... that indeed yes, it comes up as a Dominican surname. I haven't got any information for the OP though.

The only thing that struck me is that we have a poster here (GREATZKY?) whose name is spelt differently but phonetically it could be the same. Not sure if s/he is even Dominican though.

Being Canadian, I always thought GREATZKY must also be Canadian, and a huge hockey fan - you know, Wayne Gretzky, the most famous hockey player, aka "the Great one". Maybe I'm wrong...

DOMIERICAN

May 17, 2004
To Trina

Canadians are not only nice....... but smart......good connection, infact he was referring to infamous Wayne....go figure!

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
The Guzman inheritance?

Chirimoya, please, pardon my ignorance and my curiosity as well, but what is the Guzman inheritance? What is the story behind it?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
DOMIERICAN said:
Canadians are not only nice....... but smart......good connection, infact he was referring to infamous Wayne....go figure!

What a nice thing to say! Thank you!

Last edited:

DOMIERICAN

May 17, 2004
Guzman....Gracesqui

Well they both begin with G's, perhaps I am due some money too.......
JuanCarlos, there was a long thread some time ago on it. Perhaps one of the other DR1 members can show you how to get to it!

HB-any luck with the phone calls?

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Thank you, Chirimoya. Now I know, if not the rest of the story, at least el meollo de la cuestion. So, whatever became of the famous inheritance? Was anyone able to succesfully claim it?

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
Some years back (1992?)there was something on TV about last names in DR.
They said that when a son married, he changed his last name. He altered it.
If he was Rodriguez it would become Rodrigues or vice versa (something like that).
I don't remember much, but I am sure the last names changed.