obtaining proper consent when immigrating to Canada

MrNiceGuy

Sep 12, 2004
Does anyone know what immigration Canada will require if I sponsor my wife (not married yet) to come to Canada with her 2 children and the children's father is deceased.

Is a death certificate mandatory? My wife to be was never actually married to the father, only common law. Is there any other type of document that might be acceptable to the canadian immigration that will allow her to bring her children without having the death certificate?

Does she need something that says she has sole custody. I felt the birth certificates and passports might be enough.

Thanks for your help...

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I can't be certain, but you may need a death certificate if the father is listed on the birth certificate. Good luck!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Is the father actually dead? Or is this part of the immigration plan? If so he's in trouble I'd say.

Unless you can find the information on the Immigration Canada pages, which aren't too bad for info, you might want to spend a few bucks and talk to an immigration lawyer in Canada (NOT an immigration "consultant"!)

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Call the CIC Call Centre and ask your question, they will have an answer for you. Don't rely on what anyone says on a message board, I fear, as each individual case is different, and it all boils down to what Immigration decides you need for documentation. For the time it takes to ask the question here, you could have had your answer, by either looking on the CIC website or by calling this number 1-888-242-2100. I don't mean to sound harsh to other members, but I have said it time and time again, you do not fool around with Immigration, every t has to be crossed and every i has to be dotted or you will recieve a rejection letter faster than any bill has ever arrived in your mailbox !!! LOL If you haven't started your sponsorship process, they will be able to tell you all the steps that you must adhere to.
Best of luck,
Marlie