Dominican Peace Corps?

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/05/nyregion/05dominican.html?oref=login
(registration needed)

Interesting article in today's Sunday Times about Leonel's visit to NYC... I actually think an intelligent idea may come out of it, the Dominican Peace Corps program.

I personally know a lot of young Dominican-Americans my age (early 20's) that would be interested in this program, and if not directly interested, their parents would make them interested. I think it's a great way to capitalize on this diaspora and the strange relationship that has come out of the huge number of Dominicans in NYC still helping out back home, but at this point, only financially.

Any thoughts? Potential problems?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It has been my experience

That Dominicans are not the most "volunteering" folks in the world. It is foreign to the culture.

Knowing the how and the why of the US Peace Corps, I can tell you that it would be extremely rare to find Dominicans that are willing to work for the following: RD$5000 a month for all expenses. Plus a deposit in an untouchable account of another RD$5000 per month to be received upon termination of two years service. And no "liquidaci?n" as per Dominican labor laws!! Hey, I wonder if I can sue the Peace Corps for not Liquidandome???

The original PC was invited by the different governments to come and solve mission-specific objectives.: Like today it is focusing on health issues, micro businesses among other things. Way back when we fixed windmills, dug and built letrines, schools and raised chickens. We taught English to English teachers, and brought in hybrid corn seed. We worked with the Chinese in the Bonao Rice Experimental Station...

I wonder what DR Volunteers could do? I read the article, too....

Funny that Bernstein said that Fdez owed his election to the 73% of the Dominican vote from NYC!! Yeah right all 1000 voters or something as absurd!!

HB :(

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
True, HB, but I think lots of young Dominican-Americans are very willing to voluteer, as a matter of fact I know lots that volunteer all the time, but for other organizations not benefiting the DR. Think of all the Latino sororities/fraternities, etc.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sorry HB

Matter of fact I worked indirectly with a young Dominican American women at the Dept. of Ed. in NYC last year who is now going through the training program with Entrena. Her name is Veronica. The biggest advantage Dominican Americans have is they already speak Cibeano when they get there. Any Dominican still sending $$$ back to the family probably won't sign up, but you would be suprised at the number of Dominican Americans who are more gringo than than most of us other "gringos". I personally think the Peace Corps needs to really professionalize their work, have volunteers' work build on existing volunteers' projects, have regional support offices and some other small things. By the time I was in the Peace Corps it was more about getting to 150 volunteers in the field with talk to get up to 200 (end of the Reagan years). The quality of the assignments, support with getting work done, having virtually no accountability are just a few of the issues which probably still haven't been addressed in the DR.

Tom F.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No doubt, but would they volunteer?

Anyone in the NYC Ed Dept makes money and has a huge compensation package. Whether it is possible to recruit these people that are more American than Dominican is highly questionable. Only time will tell. I think it is a pie in the sky right now.

And does Fern?ndez want these Dominican-Americans or does he want Dominican-Dominicans for this venture?? Important point...

We'll see and I promise not to nya-nay if I am right and you promise not to do it either if you are right....okay?

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A 'national service' type scheme for Dominican youth (not Dominican Americans) which includes vocational training could be an excellent thing, if (big IF) properly administered.

I can see how second generation Dominican-Americans, who although Americanised are interested in exploring their roots and experiencing real life in the DR (as opposed to holidays), could be persuaded to volunteer in their country of origin. Maybe not in huge numbers, but I would bet that you could attract enough to make it worthwhile for both parties. After all if there are only 150-200 Peace Corps volunteers here (something tells me that is a generous estimate) a similar scheme for Dominican-Americans could easily generate that number of applicants.

I worked for a British organisation (ICD, or CID in Spanish) that places volunteers in projects around the DR and they never had more than 20 volunteers at one time. It took a good deal of organising, funding and coordinating.

OTOH Dominican-Americans with ties to relatives in the DR would be able to organise their own stint here, without having to go through an institution.

Do high school graduates in the US have the 'Gap year' option as in the UK? Many university students take a year out before starting university and spend that year working, saving money and travelling the world. Some of those also go to developing countries on voluntary work placements. I'm going to be hosting one in Feb-March and I'm supposed to be organising some voluntary work for her.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Unfortunately Chiri, no, the USA does not have a gap year. If a student takes one it's entirely voluntary and not really the norm. In the USA there is the somewhat negative spin on it that that student would be taking a year off to "find themselves".

All I have to say on the topic of numbers of volunteers is that I can think of a LOT of Dominican-Americans I personally know that would be interested in this program. I'm talking the next generation, as in 25 and under.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
what would they be doing in the DR? i'm not sure how the PC thing works, but i guess whoever they would be volunteering for would at least have to provide food for them? if that is so, then it'd be cheaper to pay the haitians to do the job.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I haven't read the thread, but did I read right? Dominican Peace Corp? Sounds like an oxymoron. Where are we going to find the kids with the mystique, the self-less dedication, the almost missionary seal for our own kind?

Mirador

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bugsey34 said:
Unfortunately Chiri, no, the USA does not have a gap year. If a student takes one it's entirely voluntary and not really the norm. In the USA there is the somewhat negative spin on it that that student would be taking a year off to "find themselves".

Is it negative because it is viewed as self-indulgent? If the year involves some sort of useful community work it is the complete opposite.

When I arrived at university at the age of 18 there was a huge difference between those who had taken a Gap year and those who hadn't. I was one of the latter and really wish I'd done it. It wasn't so common in those days (early 80s). The Gap year crowd were far more confident, mature and streetwise.

liam1 said:
what would they be doing in the DR? i'm not sure how the PC thing works, but i guess whoever they would be volunteering for would at least have to provide food for them? if that is so, then it'd be cheaper to pay the haitians to do the job.

I don't know how the PC works either, but the other organisation I worked for handled this as follows: the volunteer is placed with a local organisation, in my case a campesino group promoting reforestation and sustainable forest management. My role was to help them learn to do their own fundraising. I was paid a salary (more than PC vols get, BTW) and expenses including accomodation. The host organisation had to select a 'counterpart' who would be the main person I shared my skills with, so that she could continue the work after my placement there. Her salary was funded by my employer. If it is done this way, the costs involved are quite high.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Many Dominican Americans volunteering for the Peace Corps might want to go to another country besides the DR. Maybe expand their horizons. I would also think the PC in DC would be hesitent to send Dominicans back to the DR in mass as representatives of the US. They would have to start some sort of separate program and screen the tigres out.

Hillbilly, Let me make this clear, compensation packages at the DOE in NYC are not good unless you are at the top. That usually takes a lot of *** kissing. With the Bloomberg/Klien corporation running things, most administrative work is now on a year to year contract with no liquidation. At least as a teacher you have tenure.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Tom F. said:
Many Dominican Americans volunteering for the Peace Corps might want to go to another country besides the DR. Maybe expand their horizons.

Good point, but some will also want to go and make a contribution to/learn about their country of origin.

I would also think the PC in DC would be hesitent to send Dominicans back to the DR in mass as representatives of the US. They would have to start some sort of separate program and screen the tigres out.

Was this proposed scheme by Leonel to be run through the PC or was it to be a separate entity?

BTW after posting yesterday I checked with a friend who works there: there are just under 150 PC volunteers in the DR at the moment.

ralphyp

Dec 13, 2004
the view

You may take a year hiatus after H.S. and it won't be viewed negatively.
Especially if you said you were doing volunteer service.
Ralph