Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 81

Thread: Dominicans and Puerto Ricans

  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Dominicans and Puerto Ricans

    I live in MA and I am currently attending Westfield State College. I have to do a research project and i planned to do it on racism among latinos. More specifically, I am basing it on the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans... SO, i was wondering if any of ya wanna give ur opinions based on this subject... thank you
    Last edited by kami; 12-06-2004 at 01:20 PM.

  2. #2
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Hello

    Quote Originally Posted by kami
    I live in MA and I am currently attending Westfield State College. I have to do a research project and i planned to do it on racism among latinos. More specifically, I am basing it on the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans... SO, i was wondering if any of ya wanna give ur opinions based on this subject... thank you
    Hello Kami: I'm a Dominican married to a Puerto Rican for over 30yrs. I've been to P.R. several times, have family and PR friends there. I lived in Manhattan for 13yrs. and in California for 22yrs. I've lived among Puerto Ricans most of my life in very different settings. What about racism between these two nationalities would you like to know?
    Regards,
    Carlos

  3. #3
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    21,673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default In a "Coco"nut shell!

    And since we are talking "Racism",I WILL stereotype!
    Puerto Ricans,as a group, think that they are superior to Dominicans,and Dominicans don't care for Puerto Ricans as a group,because of that! on a "One-On-One" basis,they seem to get along just fine!THey have more incommon,than not!

  4. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    47
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon
    And since we are talking "Racism",I WILL stereotype!
    Puerto Ricans,as a group, think that they are superior to Dominicans
    In your opinion, do you think the reason for that is because Puerto Ricans have most of the rights of US citizens and, generally speaking, have a higher standard of living than most Dominicans?

  5. #5
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    215
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kami
    I live in MA and I am currently attending Westfield State College. I have to do a research project and i planned to do it on racism among latinos. More specifically, I am basing it on the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans... SO, i was wondering if any of ya wanna give ur opinions based on this subject... thank you

    well between PRs and DRs i dont think its so much racial(although its a part of it) .it tends to be more of a national thing .PRs think they are better than Dominicans becuase they tend to be lighter skinned , speak better english (becuase they have been here longer),and such . Because of this, Dominicans(at least the ones i know) like Chris Colon says dont care too much about PRs cuz of that .Also , PRs have beef with any group who poses a threat to their majority.(i.g mexicans in chicago,Cubans in Florida, Dominicans in new york and new jersey) so its nothin new . They reap all the benefits of U.S citizenship and are still poor ,despite the fact that they have been here since the 1940s.but, things are gettin better especially in places where they both tend to live in equal #s , For example , in Union City that was the case in the early 90s there was more of them then us and whenever we would show our pride they were the first ones to start hatin', however when i got older i saw the demographics of the city changed and i didnt see it any more(there was more of us than them) and the beef died out, the same goes for paterson passaic, west new york , north bergen, (all of these are places in northern new jersey) , jersey city as well, but in places where PRS are the majority its still that way . but like i said things change .The racial thing is still used ,when they make fun of us for being darker but that only happends in places where its just us and them , in places where there is a large black population they dont go that route becuase they tend to be closer to african americans than ur in those instances , i mean i can write a book due to my Bad expeiriences and my Good expeiriences . however, i must say its dying out little by little

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default My opinion

    I do not think there is racism in Puerto Rico against Dominicans. There is some discrimination.

    I am 35 years old and went to college in the US. I have lived 31 years in PR.

    Dominicans and Pricans are a mix of Taino, slaves and spaniards. My point is, we are the same race.

    However, there is a fact that a lot of dominicans came to PR looking for better living conditions, and many PRicans were not happy in having to compete for jobs with dominicans. It is also a fact that dominicans coming to PR were not as educated as locals. Therefore, the kind of jobs they found were mostly construction and hard labor.

    In terms of "getting along"....we are brothers. I have many dominican friends here in Puerto Rico and in the DR too. Most of my friends have dominican friends as well and we get along just fine. We might make fun of their accent, but mexicans make funs of the Prican accent too....so no big deal.

    DR and PR have a lot of business together. DR only makes more business with the US.

    Dominicans in PR even had an impact in the last election.

    The last decade has been very positive for dominicans in PR. I think we can't hardly feel any mistreatments towards dominicans anymore.

    What do you all think?

  7. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FuegoAzul21
    well between PRs and DRs i dont think its so much racial(although its a part of it) .it tends to be more of a national thing .PRs think they are better than Dominicans becuase they tend to be lighter skinned , speak better english (becuase they have been here longer),and such . Because of this, Dominicans(at least the ones i know) like Chris Colon says dont care too much about PRs cuz of that .Also , PRs have beef with any group who poses a threat to their majority.(i.g mexicans in chicago,Cubans in Florida, Dominicans in new york and new jersey) so its nothin new . They reap all the benefits of U.S citizenship and are still poor ,despite the fact that they have been here since the 1940s.but, things are gettin better especially in places where they both tend to live in equal #s , For example , in Union City that was the case in the early 90s there was more of them then us and whenever we would show our pride they were the first ones to start hatin', however when i got older i saw the demographics of the city changed and i didnt see it any more(there was more of us than them) and the beef died out, the same goes for paterson passaic, west new york , north bergen, (all of these are places in northern new jersey) , jersey city as well, but in places where PRS are the majority its still that way . but like i said things change .The racial thing is still used ,when they make fun of us for being darker but that only happends in places where its just us and them , in places where there is a large black population they dont go that route becuase they tend to be closer to african americans than ur in those instances , i mean i can write a book due to my Bad expeiriences and my Good expeiriences . however, i must say its dying out little by little
    thanxs for this feedback... i may have expressed myself wrongly... i know its not so much racism ,but instead that whole sense of nationalism like you said FuegoAzul21. i have seen for myself that its a battle between who is better than the other. i mean we even compete about Puertorican women and Dominican women, u know... All i am trying to find out is why? why do Dominicans feel threatned by Puertoricans and vice versa?
    Last edited by kami; 12-07-2004 at 02:04 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2dlight
    Hello Kami: I'm a Dominican married to a Puerto Rican for over 30yrs. I've been to P.R. several times, have family and PR friends there. I lived in Manhattan for 13yrs. and in California for 22yrs. I've lived among Puerto Ricans most of my life in very different settings. What about racism between these two nationalities would you like to know?
    Regards,
    Carlos
    Hello 2dlight... it is not so much about racism (sorry i may have expressed myself wrongfully ) ,but i would really like to know if you have ever felt as if either your family or her family thought they were superior to one another?

  9. #9
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon
    And since we are talking "Racism",I WILL stereotype!
    Puerto Ricans,as a group, think that they are superior to Dominicans,and Dominicans don't care for Puerto Ricans as a group,because of that! on a "One-On-One" basis,they seem to get along just fine!THey have more incommon,than not!
    hi Criss Colon i am going to ask: why do you think, as a group not "one-on-one basis", do they have so much conflict? In your opinion why do these two nationalities conflict as much if you say that they have more in common?

  10. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    okay like i said i expressed myself wrongly and i apologize. what i am trying to find out is why does one group feel they are superior to the other? I have seen that it has always been a competition about who is better than the other. I am a Dominican because both my parents are as my entire family is too ,but I was born in Carolina, PR. which makes me Puertorican. I live in Springfield and the majority of people here are Puertoricans... I have heard every joke and i have seen the competition btween these two groups... I mean calling us Platanos us calling them Goya...Russos, making fun of the accents, etc... i am not saying that i feel this way. All my freinds are Puerto Ricans and i got nuthin but love for them... but it is still there... that competition. Aren't we trying to rise to the top? Aren't we both trying to survive in this country to try and make our society see that we are not the way they think that we are? Uneducated, a whole bunch of dropouts who have had their first child by the age of 14-15? We are both striving for a better life and instead of trying to compete with one another we should unite as one, I mean all of the latino community... Mexicans, PR, DR, Columbians, Cubans, Chilenos, Panamenos etc...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •