Dominicans and Puerto Ricans

Status
Not open for further replies.

kami

Dec 6, 2004
I live in MA and I am currently attending Westfield State College. I have to do a research project and i planned to do it on racism among latinos. More specifically, I am basing it on the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans... SO, i was wondering if any of ya wanna give ur opinions based on this subject... thank you ;)

Last edited:

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Hello

kami said:
I live in MA and I am currently attending Westfield State College. I have to do a research project and i planned to do it on racism among latinos. More specifically, I am basing it on the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans... SO, i was wondering if any of ya wanna give ur opinions based on this subject... thank you ;)

Hello Kami: I'm a Dominican married to a Puerto Rican for over 30yrs. I've been to P.R. several times, have family and PR friends there. I lived in Manhattan for 13yrs. and in California for 22yrs. I've lived among Puerto Ricans most of my life in very different settings. What about racism between these two nationalities would you like to know?
Regards,
Carlos

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
In a "Coco"nut shell!

And since we are talking "Racism",I WILL stereotype!
Puerto Ricans,as a group, think that they are superior to Dominicans,and Dominicans don't care for Puerto Ricans as a group,because of that! on a "One-On-One" basis,they seem to get along just fine!THey have more incommon,than not!

jmaz98

Sep 25, 2003
Criss Colon said:
Puerto Ricans,as a group, think that they are superior to Dominicans

In your opinion, do you think the reason for that is because Puerto Ricans have most of the rights of US citizens and, generally speaking, have a higher standard of living than most Dominicans?

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
kami said:

well between PRs and DRs i dont think its so much racial(although its a part of it) .it tends to be more of a national thing .PRs think they are better than Dominicans becuase they tend to be lighter skinned , speak better english (becuase they have been here longer),and such . Because of this, Dominicans(at least the ones i know) like Chris Colon says dont care too much about PRs cuz of that .Also , PRs have beef with any group who poses a threat to their majority.(i.g mexicans in chicago,Cubans in Florida, Dominicans in new york and new jersey) so its nothin new . They reap all the benefits of U.S citizenship and are still poor ,despite the fact that they have been here since the 1940s.but, things are gettin better especially in places where they both tend to live in equal #s , For example , in Union City that was the case in the early 90s there was more of them then us and whenever we would show our pride they were the first ones to start hatin', however when i got older i saw the demographics of the city changed and i didnt see it any more(there was more of us than them) and the beef died out, the same goes for paterson passaic, west new york , north bergen, (all of these are places in northern new jersey) , jersey city as well, but in places where PRS are the majority its still that way . but like i said things change .The racial thing is still used ,when they make fun of us for being darker but that only happends in places where its just us and them , in places where there is a large black population they dont go that route becuase they tend to be closer to african americans than ur in those instances , i mean i can write a book due to my Bad expeiriences and my Good expeiriences . however, i must say its dying out little by little

cyberchunk

Aug 9, 2004
My opinion

I do not think there is racism in Puerto Rico against Dominicans. There is some discrimination.

I am 35 years old and went to college in the US. I have lived 31 years in PR.

Dominicans and Pricans are a mix of Taino, slaves and spaniards. My point is, we are the same race.

However, there is a fact that a lot of dominicans came to PR looking for better living conditions, and many PRicans were not happy in having to compete for jobs with dominicans. It is also a fact that dominicans coming to PR were not as educated as locals. Therefore, the kind of jobs they found were mostly construction and hard labor.

In terms of "getting along"....we are brothers. I have many dominican friends here in Puerto Rico and in the DR too. Most of my friends have dominican friends as well and we get along just fine. We might make fun of their accent, but mexicans make funs of the Prican accent too....so no big deal.

DR and PR have a lot of business together. DR only makes more business with the US.

Dominicans in PR even had an impact in the last election.

The last decade has been very positive for dominicans in PR. I think we can't hardly feel any mistreatments towards dominicans anymore.

What do you all think?

kami

Dec 6, 2004
FuegoAzul21 said:
well between PRs and DRs i dont think its so much racial(although its a part of it) .it tends to be more of a national thing .PRs think they are better than Dominicans becuase they tend to be lighter skinned , speak better english (becuase they have been here longer),and such . Because of this, Dominicans(at least the ones i know) like Chris Colon says dont care too much about PRs cuz of that .Also , PRs have beef with any group who poses a threat to their majority.(i.g mexicans in chicago,Cubans in Florida, Dominicans in new york and new jersey) so its nothin new . They reap all the benefits of U.S citizenship and are still poor ,despite the fact that they have been here since the 1940s.but, things are gettin better especially in places where they both tend to live in equal #s , For example , in Union City that was the case in the early 90s there was more of them then us and whenever we would show our pride they were the first ones to start hatin', however when i got older i saw the demographics of the city changed and i didnt see it any more(there was more of us than them) and the beef died out, the same goes for paterson passaic, west new york , north bergen, (all of these are places in northern new jersey) , jersey city as well, but in places where PRS are the majority its still that way . but like i said things change .The racial thing is still used ,when they make fun of us for being darker but that only happends in places where its just us and them , in places where there is a large black population they dont go that route becuase they tend to be closer to african americans than ur in those instances , i mean i can write a book due to my Bad expeiriences and my Good expeiriences . however, i must say its dying out little by little
thanxs for this feedback... i may have expressed myself wrongly... i know its not so much racism ,but instead that whole sense of nationalism like you said FuegoAzul21. i have seen for myself that its a battle between who is better than the other. i mean we even compete about Puertorican women and Dominican women, u know... All i am trying to find out is why? why do Dominicans feel threatned by Puertoricans and vice versa?

Last edited:

kami

Dec 6, 2004
2dlight said:
Hello Kami: I'm a Dominican married to a Puerto Rican for over 30yrs. I've been to P.R. several times, have family and PR friends there. I lived in Manhattan for 13yrs. and in California for 22yrs. I've lived among Puerto Ricans most of my life in very different settings. What about racism between these two nationalities would you like to know?
Regards,
Carlos
Hello 2dlight... it is not so much about racism (sorry i may have expressed myself wrongfully :nervous: ) ,but i would really like to know if you have ever felt as if either your family or her family thought they were superior to one another?

kami

Dec 6, 2004
Criss Colon said:
Puerto Ricans,as a group, think that they are superior to Dominicans,and Dominicans don't care for Puerto Ricans as a group,because of that! on a "One-On-One" basis,they seem to get along just fine!THey have more incommon,than not!

hi Criss Colon :glasses: i am going to ask: why do you think, as a group not "one-on-one basis", do they have so much conflict? In your opinion why do these two nationalities conflict as much if you say that they have more in common?

kami

Dec 6, 2004
okay like i said i expressed myself wrongly and i apologize. :cry: what i am trying to find out is why does one group feel they are superior to the other? I have seen that it has always been a competition about who is better than the other. I am a Dominican because both my parents are as my entire family is too ,but I was born in Carolina, PR. which makes me Puertorican. I live in Springfield and the majority of people here are Puertoricans... I have heard every joke and i have seen the competition btween these two groups... I mean calling us Platanos us calling them Goya...Russos, making fun of the accents, etc... i am not saying that i feel this way. All my freinds are Puerto Ricans and i got nuthin but love for them... but it is still there... that competition. Aren't we trying to rise to the top? Aren't we both trying to survive in this country to try and make our society see that we are not the way they think that we are? Uneducated, a whole bunch of dropouts who have had their first child by the age of 14-15? We are both striving for a better life and instead of trying to compete with one another we should unite as one, I mean all of the latino community... Mexicans, PR, DR, Columbians, Cubans, Chilenos, Panamenos etc...

kami

Dec 6, 2004
jmaz98 said:
In your opinion, do you think the reason for that is because Puerto Ricans have most of the rights of US citizens and, generally speaking, have a higher standard of living than most Dominicans?
What do you mean by a "higher standard of living"

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Attitudes differ according to the locations of the latinos. I too live in Massachusetts in a town with many latinos. I have also lived in the RD and observed visiting latinos.
In Massachusetts my Puerto Rican neighbors did not speak well of nor with respect for Dominicans. They tell me that they feel Dominicans make Puerto Ricans look bad,are lazy,speak bad Spanish and are involved in illegal acts to make easy money.
While living in the RD the Dominicans and Puerto Ricans treated each other like family. They showed each others people much respect.
I never have spent enough time in Puerto Rico to know much about how they treat each other there.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
My observations

Hi Kami,

Your question is tough. My opinion is that it's natural for two nationalities that have SO much in common to try and distinguish themselves for the sake of it. That is what I have noticed in general. It is just a strong sense of self identity otherwise Dominicans and Puerto Ricans would just all be considered the same. Meaning similar culture, history, music and food etc. It has been my observation that people tend to like unite when there is a crisis. "Let's unite for the cause" but in the day to day it's envy and jealousy and this is just in very general terms. I find individual relationships between Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are great but when it comes to identification as a group there has been some rivalry, name calling etc. and I think it has its roots in economic factors, race to a certain extent, stereotyping and just a downright superiority complex on both sides. Puerto Ricans are Americans by birth but not culturally. They have a long history in the US thus they may be (and can be) considered more progressive as a group whereas Dominicans may be more associated with individual success. I also observed that the perception of Puerto Ricans vs Dominicans differs on the island compared to in the US. I am familiar with Carolina, PR and the outskirts of San Juan where many Dominicans live and I have heard many negative comments (I refer to my experiences in PR only), always turned a deaf ear but I readily realized that the Puerto Ricans who made those comments did not associate with Dominicans so really in my opinion their comments were invalid. Overall, I think the gap has lessened which is positive from a cultural and social point of view. More communication, association and interaction between the two groups will definitely improve relations.

-Lesley D

Last edited:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Dont think so

kami said:
we should unite as one, I mean all of the latino community... Mexicans, PR, DR, Columbians, Cubans, Chilenos, Panamenos etc...

Each group of Latino's have different concerns! And do not want the same things. One reason I don't see them uniting. Mexicans and south america in general could care less about cubans getting cuba back. you might get south america to act together, but they really don't have a lot in common with the caribbean's, except for language. Food is a lot different. family values close, mexican and columbians etc tend to look at the mixed race issue. indian/spanish vs african/spanish.

kami

Dec 6, 2004
Lesley D said:
Hi Kami,

Your question is tough. My opinion is that it's natural for two nationalities that have SO much in common to try and distinguish themselves for the sake of it. That is what I have noticed in general. It is just a strong sense of self identity otherwise Dominicans and Puerto Ricans would just all be considered the same. Meaning similar culture, history, music and food etc. It has been my observation that people tend to like unite when there is a crisis. "Let's unite for the cause" but in the day to day it's envy and jealousy and this is just in very general terms. I find individual relationships between Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are great but when it comes to identification as a group there has been some rivalry, name calling etc. and I think it has its roots in economic factors, race to a certain extent, stereotyping and just a downright superiority complex. Puerto Ricans are Americans by birth but not culturally. They have a long history in the US thus they may be (and can be) considered more progressive as a group whereas Dominicans may be more associated with individual success. I also observed that the perception of Puerto Ricans vs Dominicans differs on the island compared to in the US. I am familiar with Carolina, PR and the outskirts of San Juan where many Dominicans live and I have heard many negative comments, always turned a deaf ear but I readily realized that the Puerto Ricans who made those comments did not associate with Dominicans so really in my opinion their comments were invalid. Overall, I think the gap has lessened which is positive from a cultural and social point of view. More communication, association and interaction between the two groups will definitely improve relations.

-Lesley D
there is no doubt that these two nationalities are improving with their relations towards one another because it has been dying down. Your post sparked another question: Do you think that it is all out of ignorance? Do you suppose that this conflict still persists because of the less educated and/or ignorant Dominicans and Puerto ricans? Or does this conflict also occur on a "proffessional" level? i ask because of the example that you had provided, and i quote: "I readily realized that the Puerto Ricans who made those comments did not associate with Dominicans so really in my opinion their comments were invalid."

kami

Dec 6, 2004
From all of your replies i have noticed that Puerto ricans are the ones with the grudge towards Dominicans. ( I am only assumin this from what i have been reading) If i am assuming wrong i would like to know. With this i will ask:
Who is to blame? i just want to know ppls opinions, i don't want to start up the blaming game. I wanna know how did this all start?

Ill check you guys out later... going to class:)
bye-bye

DarkDreamer

Apr 5, 2004
Regarding Puerto Ricans

:cr
kami said:
From all of your replies i have noticed that Puerto ricans are the ones with the grudge towards Dominicans. ( I am only assumin this from what i have been reading) If i am assuming wrong i would like to know. With this i will ask:
Who is to blame? i just want to know ppls opinions, i don't want to start up the blaming game. I wanna know how did this all start?

Ill check you guys out later... going to class:)
bye-bye

Ok Kami I am going to be very honest... but you cannot expect an unbiased response in a board that belongs to only one of the ethnicities mentioned. You came to a Dominican Republic board. do you trully beleive that if the ones holding the grudge were Dominicans(and im not saying they are) they flat out would admit it? no it's a pride thing. YOU cannot notice that the Puerto Ricans hold the grudge towards dominicans because Hello dear you only asked Dominicans if you trully are doing some type of research you should know by now that there are 2 variables in a research and both of them should be researched. You cannot conclude something out of the response of maybe 7 ppl.
Personally I believe that these grudges stem from personal experiences. Of course some Puerto Ricans don't like DOminicans some of them have had actually some low life DOminican that came in a yola marry their sister just for citizenship and then left her with 3 kids and ran off to NY...You know but must people generalize the Dominicans because of these bad experinces and don't realize that it was just a rotten apple that fell from the tree and that not all domincians are that way. Then you have the Puerto Rican who believes hes better than Dominicans and only lives off welfare and the Dominican has a bad experience with him and he generalizes all puerto ricans. It neverending cycle if u ask me and then one person tells the other and we end up with these generalized steryotypes from both part. I do not beleive there is one to blame they both are.

ps. I am my dear Puerto Rican and it actually amazes me some of the comments on this board. I know is not an overall majority of the DOminicans who make stupid comments about PR's but some posts I have read here are Highly disrespectful, but I got nothing but love for my brothers in DR. I have had my bad experiences with some but I know they are just like I said before rotten apples. Just like us PR's

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Let me clarify

DarkDreamer,

I read your post and I felt obliged to respond. I hope you did not feel my post was biased in anyway. You are absolutely correct in saying that the survey should include perspectives from both angles. Hopefully Kami is out there getting feedback from some Puerto Ricans but no research in a survey like this is conclusive but trends can be observed. I hope you agree. On a personal level (which I don't share too often with people on this board) I HIGHLY respect Puerto Ricans for diverse reasons and I will tell anyone openly and proudly. My observations have no way influenced or changed my respect towards Puerto Ricans.

-Lesley D

DarkDreamer said:

Ok Kami I am going to be very honest... but you cannot expect an unbiased response in a board that belongs to only one of the ethnicities mentioned. You came to a Dominican Republic board. do you trully beleive that if the ones holding the grudge were Dominicans(and im not saying they are) they flat out would admit it? no it's a pride thing. YOU cannot notice that the Puerto Ricans hold the grudge towards dominicans because Hello dear you only asked Dominicans if you trully are doing some type of research you should know by now that there are 2 variables in a research and both of them should be researched. You cannot conclude something out of the response of maybe 7 ppl.
Personally I believe that these grudges stem from personal experiences. Of course some Puerto Ricans don't like DOminicans some of them have had actually some low life DOminican that came in a yola marry their sister just for citizenship and then left her with 3 kids and ran off to NY...You know but must people generalize the Dominicans because of these bad experinces and don't realize that it was just a rotten apple that fell from the tree and that not all domincians are that way. Then you have the Puerto Rican who believes hes better than Dominicans and only lives off welfare and the Dominican has a bad experience with him and he generalizes all puerto ricans. It neverending cycle if u ask me and then one person tells the other and we end up with these generalized steryotypes from both part. I do not beleive there is one to blame they both are.

ps. I am my dear Puerto Rican and it actually amazes me some of the comments on this board. I know is not an overall majority of the DOminicans who make stupid comments about PR's but some posts I have read here are Highly disrespectful, but I got nothing but love for my brothers in DR. I have had my bad experiences with some but I know they are just like I said before rotten apples. Just like us PR's

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Kami,

It's hard to say. The reason why I said the comments were invalid was because in my opinion what they were saying about Dominicans were stereotypes BUT the stereotypes were based on the Dominicans that they encountered in PR. One another poster mentioned this that many Dominicans go to PR in search of jobs etc. and if the image they portray is not positive stereotypes are formed. It goes both ways. The irony is that there are so many commonalities between the two groups it would be far more productive to focus on the similarities rather than the differences in general. However, just to answer your question if there is continuous bias, stereotyping etc. on both sides it's based on ignorance and pre-established stereotypes. Like I said before there is a need for more communication and education out from this there will be more harmony across the board.

-Lesley D

kami said:
there is no doubt that these two nationalities are improving with their relations towards one another because it has been dying down. Your post sparked another question: Do you think that it is all out of ignorance? Do you suppose that this conflict still persists because of the less educated and/or ignorant Dominicans and Puerto ricans? Or does this conflict also occur on a "proffessional" level? i ask because of the example that you had provided, and i quote: "I readily realized that the Puerto Ricans who made those comments did not associate with Dominicans so really in my opinion their comments were invalid."

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
DarkDreamer said:

i also ,feel obliged to respond to this one, now , maybe you have never been insulted , harrased , made fun of,even attacked for showing pride in for being what you are by another hispanic group , probably most PRs dont , but most Dominicans (at least the ones in the tri-state area) do , so that is something you have to keep in mind when you read some of the posts . Also , you have to understand that PRs do have a superiority complex when it comes to Dominicans ,especially when they are the majority , now dont get me wrong i ve had plenty of great expeiriences with PRs and know that there are more good PRs than bad . You just have to look at it from our point of view, a people not too differant from us but tryin to put us down when we try to shine , and the problem is that PRs are the only ones we get this from (depending on where you live).i know this , I LIVED THIS !!!!!! , and still do to some extent. however , im not one to place all PRs in this category and i dont , its like you said "the rotten apples"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.