licensed tourguide

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Your add says , "drinks all day long" I hope they don't contain alcohol.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
tour guides

tour guides who are licensed belong to an association and they produce a fee schedule. YOu will find that you will need to pay more then the schedule to get good reliable guides.

The fee schedule will change before you are ready to do your tours. Consult the list about a month before you open!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
The list is not published on the net. They are in the middle of negotiating their new rates. I'll let you know when they are available.

HJVERA

Mar 27, 2004
www.hjvera.com
WHy would a tourguide in DR need to be licensed? I find things like this interesting especially in a country which has many of its priorities out of whack....although I have seen some improvements being made recently.

WHy would a business owner need a guide to be licensed? DR law? Dr law is interesting and not created in the best interest of everyone.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
It is interesting, I think it is partly about setting standards(?) and partly about controlling the money. Bottom line if your tour is out on public roads etc your tour guide better be licensed. If your tour takes place entirely on private property then my understanding is that a license is not required but is recommended. That being said the tourists have to be transported in appropriately licensed and insured vehicles! Also the Tour Operators like Air Transat, will insist on the licensed tour guides...

Hope that helps.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Of course, as you say, it is important to have good tourguides because you are responsible for the guests, but they dont always have to be licenced. It depends on the tour, and how it is put up.
Check this up with a lawyer when you come here to get your licence for running a business etc.
Many tours, like the ones on 4wheelers, catamarans etc do not reguire licenced tourguides, and these are big companies running those tours that follow every regulation they need, coperate with the mayor groundhandlers and tourcompanies.
So check it up with your lawyer! In many cases, this is just not true, and end up to be "all about the money"... as always...

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
mislarimar said:
Greetings,

This is sabrina from belgium.We are starting up the adventure buggy tour.
Now my question is: is it hard to find a reliable licensed tour guide in the sosua area and what are the normal salary they get?
Hope somebody can give me some answers.

best wishes,

sabrina
http://www.geocities.com/sabrinasnyers/buggyadventuretour.html
I think that if i were you i would calculate total on a per tour group or perperson basis minus expenses of total revenue= gross business profit minus a percentage that you would feel confortable paying from your gross business profit. But also remember to take into account the fact that you are going to have to calculate salaries for the inside operation of the business as well. So you may also take that into concideration when you are calculating expenses.

By doing percentages you will motivate your guides to take their work more serious and business is slow you know that you will not lose any money just to keep your guides employed.

When business is extremely good what you can just do is throw them in a little bonus to keep them even more happy or you can just save it and hand it to them around X-mas time which is most likely when they could use it the most.

Just let me know if you need a manager.....Lol...JJ

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
... and MR_DR, the small hotels, as well as the tour reps, groundhandlers etc will expect a 35-40 % commission of the sell price!
I dont think any of the tourcompanies have tried your idea, maybe it would work. It sure does in other countries, where the most common is to have a min. salary + comission on top.
Here employees get 2 salaries for xmas anyway by law, but any extra can sure be used at another time!