Dominicanismos and other Spanish expressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I was just wondering what is your favorite Dominican or Spanish expression?

(Also please include the meaning so everyone can understand)

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I would recommend 'dame un chin', from the Taino 'chin' (a little). When at the grocers, 'dame un chin' usually means about a quarter pound.

Mirador

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
Una ?apita...

Ok... Let me start with this one... "?apa"

Una ?apa is like a little bit more of what you should get...

If you are bying beans in a colamdo, you ask for una ?apita and you'll get a little more... If you are buying fruits in the market, you ask "y mi ?apa?" and they would give you an extra banana or a mango...

Of course, things are so rough lately that if you ask (pedir una ?apa) the only thing you get these days is a very bad look!! :nervous:

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Yan-Yan, you might be interested to know that in New Orleans they have the same thing called a "lagniappe".

I like to use "?apa" in a sarcastic sort of way, as in:

"The only thing on TV last night was Rocky III, and it was in French de ?apa."

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Mirador,

I did not know that "chin" is a Taino word. That answers my question as to why this expression is unique to the DR. No other Spanish speaking country uses it. I could assume then that "chele" as well is of Taino or indigenous origin meaning "centavo" (cent).

-Lesley D

Mirador said:
I would recommend 'dame un chin', from the Taino 'chin' (a little). When at the grocers, 'dame un chin' usually means about a quarter pound.

Mirador

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
One of my favorite expressions is:

"Por la maceta" which means "muy bien", "maravilloso", "de maravilla". In others words "very well", "wonderful".

-Lesley D

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Puerto ricans use it too...

but I've heard it used a little differently. "Dame un chin-chin por favor!" Give me a little bit, please!!

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
In Argentina we have one for Government ?employees? (those one?s that are on payroll but don?t really have an duties)

We call them ?empleados gnocchi? because in Argentina we eat a lot of Italian and on the last Sunday of each month grandma makes gnocchi just like the employees that show up for their check at the end of each month.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I love how they use the word, ma?ana, so loosely. Ma?ana doesn't necessarily mean "tomorrow", as it may in other countries, it just means "definitely not today". Certainly a Dominicanism.

I also love how everything is "si Dios quiere". "Yo voy por la supermercado, si Dios quiere"...something tells me Dios has a few more important duties on his agenda, and doesn't really care if they go to the supermarket or not!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Berzin said:
but I've heard it used a little differently. "Dame un chin-chin por favor!" Give me a little bit, please!!

And don't forget the ever-popular "chin-lin-lin"!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I like the way the word 'buen' or 'buena' is used to add insult to injury, as in 'buen sinverg?enza', 'buen ladr?n', 'buena fresca', 'buena cuero', etc., etc.

Mirador

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Lesley D said:
Mirador,

I did not know that "chin" is a Taino word. That answers my question as to why this expression is unique to the DR. No other Spanish speaking country uses it.
-Lesley D

Lesley,

I am not sure but I think they also use "un chin" in Puerto Rico (cf Charle Cruz's salsa 'un chin chin') and probably Cuba.

Which anyway doesn't say it's not of Taino origin.

Barnab?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Barnabe,

I think "un chin" comes from Rep?blica Dominicana and if it is used in Cuba and PR it's because of the spread (throughout the Caribbean). Although many expressions are common among the three islands I have never heard "un chin" from a Cuban or Puerto Rican but as they say "never say never".

-Lesley D

Barnabe said:
Lesley,

I am not sure but I think they also use "un chin" in Puerto Rico and probably Cuba.

Which anyway doesn't say it's not of Taino origin.

Barnab?

Last edited:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Ta to!

Although is not as widely used as before, TA TO was an all around used-for-everything expression...

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
How about "t? ve" (t? ves) at the end of many sentences. Very Dominican.

Most of Spanish speakers I talk to say ?me entiendes?

-Lesley D

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I don't know if this is a "Dominicanism" or simply an "Angelism" (my husband's name is Angel) - but he always says to our 3-year-old: "Quien es el buccachico de papi?" (I have no idea how to spell buccachico, or if it's even a word). I love it when he says that; buccachico y papi have such a special bond. I also love how Dominicans call babies "chichi". Hoever, I'm not sure that "chichi" is exclusive to the DR.

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
Que Vaina!!!

Jane J. said:
Yan-Yan, you might be interested to know that in New Orleans they have the same thing called a "lagniappe".
Wao, I didn't know that!

I remember a Panamanian trying to figure out my accent until I said "oh, pero muchacha!!". And that was it, she KNEW immediately that I was Dominican!

Now, is there a a word more used by Dominicans than "VAINA"?? Una vaina can be absolutely anything!! Dame esa vaina; deja esa vaina; me di? una vaina; eres una vaina! and when you are really upset Que maldita vaina!!...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.