Gifts ....

Anj

Nov 21, 2004
I'm travelling to DR over Christmas and I am making a few stops in some smaller cities (Cabrera, San Juan, Cofresi, Puerto Plata). I would like to take some USEFUL gifts to the local people there. I've heard that crayons and school supplies for children are very popular and that soaps, deodorants, lipsticks etc are very popular for adults. Is this TRUE? I'd feel a bit wierd offering someone a stick of deodorant, but I want the gifts to be something very useful. I would really like some ideas from DR'ers if possible. I don't want to offend anyone, but I want to bring something useful.

THanks for the suggestions,

Anj

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Anj said:
I'm travelling to DR over Christmas and I am making a few stops in some smaller cities (Cabrera, San Juan, Cofresi, Puerto Plata). I would like to take some USEFUL gifts to the local people there. I've heard that crayons and school supplies for children are very popular and that soaps, deodorants, lipsticks etc are very popular for adults. Is this TRUE? I'd feel a bit wierd offering someone a stick of deodorant, but I want the gifts to be something very useful. I would really like some ideas from DR'ers if possible. I don't want to offend anyone, but I want to bring something useful.

THanks for the suggestions,

Anj

I bring everything but deodorant.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
What do you mean "local people"? Strangers, friends you already know or hotel staff? If you mean maids, bellhops, waitresses, tip CASH, not goods. Search on the many threads about gratuities.

School supplies are useful as kids always like crayons and stuff like that, more like toys to them really.

And no deodorant, sanitary napkins, TP, mouthwash, etc. Sort of insulting, really, the suggestion implied by hygiene items..

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Dominicans love liquor, candy, stuff to eat....that will make them really happy.

Mirador

Anj

Nov 21, 2004
Alcohol

By local people, I'm meaning people I don't know.... people that live in the cities I plan to visit. I really want to meet some people in DR that live there, I hope to meet some people that could be a penpal so that I can practice my Spanish more. I also want to get into some small villages and experience the DR not as a tourist, but on a larger level. I didn't even think of alcohol, thanks for the wonderful suggestion. I'm Canadian, do you think DR customs office will have any problems if I pack liquor and beer and stuff in my suitcase? I know that between Canada and the US I can bring stuff ... but overseas? Are there any regulations about importing things? If there's a website or something I'd appreciate any suggestions. Also, what type of alcohol? Anything in particular that is hard to get on the island that would be cool to bring from Canada? I thought of some maple syrup... but I don't want to be TOO retarded ... lol

I really appreciate the great suggestions!

Anj

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Anj said:
Are there any regulations about importing things? Also, what type of alcohol? Anything in particular that is hard to get on the island that would be cool to bring from Canada? I thought of some maple syrup... but I don't want to be TOO retarded ... lol

I really appreciate the great suggestions!

Anj

There are regulations but there is almost no chance they will care what you have, as long as you are not bringing 800 bottles of whisky. Don't bring rum for obvious reasons, it is better in the DR and about $3 a bottle. The maple syrup is a good idea actually, I have given it as gifts several times since it is Canadian, unavailable generally in the DR, and is very sweet, the sweeter the better down there.

They add sugar to orange juice in the DR as an indication.