Travel Documents

Bonita Morena

Sep 24, 2004
Hi Everyone
My friend and I are planning a trip to the DR in January, I have a canadian passport but she doesn't. Has anyone ever travelled with only their citizenship card and photo health card? The Dominican Consulate told me that she needed a driver's license and citizenship, the lady wasn't sure if the health card would be valid. If anyone knows or has travelled with only these two pieces of id I would really appreciate your input.
Thanks

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Jimmydr said:
My friend brings his birth certificate only.

It depends where you were born.

If she was born in Canada then it will be fine or a citizenship card but do invest in a passport. It's worth the money and it's valid for 5 years.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If your friend's citizenship card says "Canadian" It shouldn't be a problem. I'm assuming your friend is flying out of Canada, yes? It's the Canadians that won't let you back into Canada if you don't have a citizenship card.

Your travel agent should be able to provide that info.

I wanted to add this website for more info

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/before/passports-en.asp

Last edited:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Fyi

Jimmydr said:
My friend brings his birth certificate only.

I just came back from the DR last week and the the ticket lady at American said after January 1st, I can no longer use my birth certificate.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Ricardo900 said:
I just came back from the DR last week and the the ticket lady at American said after January 1st, I can no longer use my birth certificate.

Thats unsual, the ticket counter lady does not work for foreign affairs to make that decision. As far as i know birth certificate with a valid is good since birth certificate does not have a photo on it.

PPChica

Aug 18, 2004
Driver's Lic, and a birth certificate

I've gone three times in the past three years and it's all you need.

;)

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
PPChica said:
I've gone three times in the past three years and it's all you need.
Were you also travelling from Canada and not born in Canada.
This is significant according to Anna.

I can't see them making a big deal out of it and shipping him home.
Certainly nothing a few dollars can't fix.

CLOAKED

Jul 6, 2004
www.santodomingodirect.com
birth certificate

stallion said:
Thats unsual, the ticket counter lady does not work for foreign affairs to make that decision. As far as i know birth certificate with a valid is good since birth certificate does not have a photo on it.

Ive been to the country 7 times this year and all i have is a birth certificate I also ask the US Customs working about the same question and he said I will never change but its best to have one but its not needed (Passport) then the "#$%" red flaged me and I was searched, maybe because my birth certificate had no more room on the back for stamps and that I was only on the country for 2 days.....with not check bags hmmmmm ;)

Bonita Morena

Sep 24, 2004
Thanks for all of your responses. We got the passport and we leave on January 12 for one week! Can't wait to get away from this really ugly weather. I'm tired of seeing snow, I can't wait to see the sandy beaches and feel the warm weather instead of this cold canadian winter!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
ha ha

CLOAKED said:
Ive been to the country 7 times this year and all i have is a birth certificate I also ask the US Customs working about the same question and he said I will never change but its best to have one but its not needed (Passport) then the "#$%" red flaged me and I was searched, maybe because my birth certificate had no more room on the back for stamps and that I was only on the country for 2 days.....with not check bags hmmmmm ;)

Dominican Customs held me up a couple of weeks ago, saying they did not have a photo of me on their system. The supervisor had to sign my damn tourista card and when I was leaving the DR, THEY WANTED TO KNOW WHY HE SIGNED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE, and held me up again!! :cry:

CLOAKED

Jul 6, 2004
www.santodomingodirect.com
Dominican Customs

Ricardo900 said:
Dominican Customs held me up a couple of weeks ago, saying they did not have a photo of me on their system. The supervisor had to sign my damn tourista card and when I was leaving the DR, THEY WANTED TO KNOW WHY HE SIGNED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE, and held me up again!! :cry:

Dominican Customs is always nice to me maybe because my name is "Mario Sessions" its the United States Customs that gives me problems. A dark American man with the name "Mario Sessions" HA HA HA HA