Is it true That there is a Powerful Family with the surname Checo in DR?

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
I met a Dominican Gentleman that in DR there is a Famous Family with the last name of CHECO who would be equivilant to the Kennedy and Vanderbuilts in Fame and Fortune in the DR..is this True?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Powerful? Doubtful. Well-known? Well, there is a family-owned company, Checo, which manufactures meat products and as such they (the company) are well-known. I doubt people know anything about them, and I doubt they are anywhere near the richest families here.

carolina

Mar 23, 2002
JC171 said:
I met a Dominican Gentleman that in DR there is a Famous Family with the last name of CHECO who would be equivilant to the Kennedy and Vanderbuilts in Fame and Fortune in the DR..is this True?

if that is true somebody should let my family know, because someone's hoggin' all the money.
--caro

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I believe several years back there were running jokes on a General Checo. Someone else can correct me if I have mistaken the name.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Dolores said:
I believe several years back there were running jokes on a General Checo. Someone else can correct me if I have mistaken the name.
Dolores, you are correct. There are many jokes of General Checo. And a lot of Dominicans know them.

There was a real life general Checo. Just like it could have been a General "P?rez, or M?ndez, or Ortiz,...." but it was this guy's name, Checo, that was used as the butt of many jokes, most due to urban legends and not realistically linked to events in the life of the real general. He evolved into a made-up character, a folksy anti-hero, loser legend. This was at its peak during Dr. Balaguer's 12 a?os era. This was one of the ways regular people could express their disposition toward the often repressive military of the times in the personification of a General Checo,....think of "he was so dumb that he......."-type of jokes. Village idiot kind..... Ask any Dominican who grew-up in the 60's and 70's to tell you a general Checo joke. 99% Will know one.

Weird that the family name is being promoted in NY as a powerful one in the DR in light of the above jokes stuff. Pib's post clears that up as she is quite on target (as ever).

- Tordok
:cross-eye