Santiago airport shakedowns

raphster

Nov 11, 2004
upon my return trip to NY from a great vacation, I was anxious to see if I would be able to avoid the airport shakedowns that I've heard about. I was prepared to put up a good fight, but as things turned out nothing happend to me. Unfortunetely for those who held dominican passports it wasn't as easy. Just before entering the waiting area everyone had to go through a metel detector and have their luggage x-rayed. Since I got there early not knowing what to expect I had nothing to do but watch everyone go through the "shakedown". It would go like this, if you were traveling with kids, no problem passing. If you looked caucasian, no problem. But if you were a male dominican you got the full treatment. The agents would go through the carry on luggage again, and then you were questioned extensively. The more you argued the longer the questioning. One guy got pissed and asked to see the agents ID, which the agent promptly showed and the questioning went on for another 10min. Eventually most were free to go. But one guy, got taken outside and had his luggage pulled off the plane, but he returned later. When we were in NY I asked him what they did, he said the agents told him he looked like a criminal they were looking for, and when they took him outside out of view, they said he might miss his plane, but things might go smoother if he gave them some money. Which he did, but later regretted, his words were, "I wasn't going to give them anything, but I got nervous when they took me outside and pulled my luggage". I guess I'm lucky I hold an american passport and was traveling with my wife and daughter.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I watched my friend Alberto suffer though this same crap when we went to Cuba. 2 gringos that weren't even asked 1 word with one Dominican whom they threatened to miss his plane till he paid them.

Shame on the Dominican Government and the Dominican PEOPLE for letting this CRAP go on. No wonder the country is in the shape it is in!

Escott

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I find the whole airport shakedown thing patehtic. I have never had any problems other than being asked for a tip and once for a souvenier but then again, I am not Dominican. Even so, being asked for a tip is pathetic. I hope this situation is somehow addressed and cleaned up in the future. If I was a native Dominican, it would bother me very much. As a tourist, it just annoys me.

Larry

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
How's this for a shakedown?

When I travelled to Boca Chica in October, I was one of the last to get off the plane. When I arrived at customs one of the agents kept staring at me as I walked towards one of the lines. As soon as she was done with her customer, she scoots over and grabs my passport from one of her workmates. She then proceeds to ask me all types of questions regarding my stay and making very suggestive and provocative remarks, which seemes to be very funny to her friends. She then refused to give me my passport unless I told her where I was staying.

I thought she was kidding as everyone seemed to be enjoying the whole scenario so I tried to play along, but then came the time when a joke goes a little too far and it no longer is funny.

I gave her the name of another hotel in Boca Chica and she made me give her the phone number(and luckily I had my little Lonely Planet guide with me so I had the number handy) and she finally relented, handed over the passport and made sure that I would make "time" for her that weekend. After about 20 minutes of this, she let me go with an "Ay, papi, tu te ves bueno!"

And all along I thought David Ortiz was "Papi" in the DR.
Do these people really want to got off that island THAT BAD?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Puerto Plata today..

Well, they are used to either my husband or I coming through there on strange little Caribbean flights... It is close to Xmas, so they said, nothing today - your Christmas gift. Good, Richard smiled and walked. The fellow who opened the door to the outside however wanted his little piece for beer. So , Richard tipped the doorman. Altogether a cheap trip. Richard had a few of the the President's statements all copied and the "model in the Caribbean against corruption" highlighted in bright yellow. And there was no opportunity to 'fight the battle', as it is Christmas and they gave Richard a gift...

Oh Man! what a country!

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
They try to play me once for a fool however i was strong enough to send them to hell never show my American passport therefore they were certain i was Dominican they call me a drug dealer and yada yada yada they were going to take me to some hospital to check on my stomach to see all the drugs i was carrying within it was so hillarious one of the SO CALLED DETECTIVES pull me to the side asking me for my documents and how much money i was carrying i told him *GO **** YOURSELF* and i want to see your supervisor now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yeah i'm going to loose this plane but your *** is mine.

offcoarse the idiot got pissed and again demanded my documents in front of his supervisor and yeah i show them to the BOSS lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was on my way to the plane right away with an scort lol!

IT ONLY HAPPENED WHILE HIPOLITO WAS IN POWER never had a problem since then, i travel every two weeks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Notice to all who read this

If you or anyone you know has any problem at the Santiago airport:
1) get the guy's name, or job ID (Customs, Immigration, Security, whatever)
2) the flight number
3) the date
4) a short accounting of just what happened.
5) Send this info to me on a PM or an E-mail, ASAP!

This sort of activity will never be tolerated at STI. Just let me know and harsh,swift justice will be carried out.

One last word: NEVER, EVER PAY ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO.

HB

raphster

Nov 11, 2004
Hillbilly said:
If you or anyone you know has any problem at the Santiago airport:
1) get the guy's name, or job ID (Customs, Immigration, Security, whatever)
2) the flight number
3) the date
4) a short accounting of just what happened.
5) Send this info to me on a PM or an E-mail, ASAP!

This sort of activity will never be tolerated at STI. Just let me know and harsh,swift justice will be carried out.

One last word: NEVER, EVER PAY ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO.

HB

Hillbilly,
the shakedown did not happen to me personally (US passport, non latino).
The guy who gave money did so when they took him outside where no one could see. They, the agents questioned all dominicans so I guess you could say they were "doing" their job, but it was obvious they detained each in hopes of a quick payoff. The questioning got longer as it got closer to boarding time. Good luck if your a young dominican male. My advice would be to arrive early and let them do all the talking.

info you were asking about:
date: dec 11-2004 Sat.
Flight: american air 2296 from santiago to New york JFK
where: last check point leading into the waiting area
who: 1 woman(very attractive), 4 men men doing all the questioning)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
This happens every day in every airport to Dominicans. Everyone knows that it happens because it is done out in the open with others looking on without any fear of consequenses.

Now some people here on this board will just say things like, "these aren't the REAL Domincans" or that "This shouldnt happen here and I will put a stop to it" or "These must be the North Coast Scum or "UBH's"and couldn't be the Santiago REAL Dominicans" or anything else that doesn't make sense from my viewpoint.

I too would be shocked to hear if these people had Doctorate degrees from US and Canadian Universities like one of my friends seem to try to put forward as a common face of the average Santiago person:)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I got questioned at STI last time I traveled. I do have to say that the guy was pretty polite and never asked for anything or threatened me in any way. He just saw how many stamps I had in my passport and just questioned me a bit about what kind of business I was in, etc...Afterwards he explained to me that the reason was because as a rule most people don't have the money to spend to make a trip to The DR as often as I did. He said a lot of people who do this are actually "mules" who get their trip paid for to bring in drugs into the US, so it raises a red flag.

carcol

Mar 9, 2004
Re-Airport Shakedown

I can't believe this stuff still goes on. I was there last year and I came in from NY to Santiago. I must say, it was a nice smooth transition in. I was prepared to fight and had money in my pocket to give out-just the thought of them opening my luggage up and not being able to close it up after I carefully packed was a no-no for me.
But My brother and I, went in and right out. they barely looked at us. I think maybe because there were not that many passengers on that flight so not a lot of chaos....
But it's good to know Hillbilly-If I hear of something going wrong< I will defiitely let you know...We must stop all this corruption!
But it is getting better!

Hillbilly, you are like the mayor of Santiago, you know everyone and everything.....Nice!