7 days realestate shopping experience

jw2004

Nov 26, 2004
I am looking to purchase a one bedroom in this condo complex. All the info I get from my realestate agent are base on verbal and seeing the apartment in showing. However I have nothing in the form of a written document. Is this consider NORMAL in DR that they don't give you,
1) the charter of the Community of Costambar, as there is a monthly community fee on top of the condo fee. Specify how much a month and what they are for.
2) the charter of the condo of codominica Luperon, specify how much a month and what they are for.

Also the roof of this aparting is leaking and the wood beam and plywood has extensive termite problem. I was told "they" are going to replace the roof for FREE. And I am lucky I will get a new roof.
1) the condo fee we pay should cover the exterior wall and the roof of the complex, why is she saying I am getting it for FREE?

Initally I was told "they" will replace the roof and I will get a NEW roof. In the latest e-mail, it was down grade to just "repair", then further downgrade to " it is up to the local contractor to determine which wood beam need to be replaced".

This complex as she told me is 25 yrs old. My guess is, in the latest earthquake, some tiles and the cement that hold the tile together must have developed cracks -> leaking, and the termite infestation has been there for a "long" in this hot and humid climate and the wood beams were not "treated" 25 yrs ago. Simply depending on a "local" contractor to determine which wood beam is infested with termite and replace just won't cut it. With termites larvae burrowing in the wood, you just can't inspect with your naked eye.
I was very disappointed the change in words from "new roof" to "repair" and finally to depend on "local contractor".
Does not make sense. If it is not done right to begin with, the condo owners will just have to cough up more $$ to repair the roof again some time down the road.

I had about one week to look for a one bedroom. During my encounter with people who want to sell, their realestate agent, and canadian/american/european that have live here long, this is what I find.
1) DR needs us$/Euro to pay off its external debt. Current govt is encouraging tourism and foreign puschase of DR realestate.
2) the North shore locals (dominican and white) knows the only people who has $$ to spend is the tourists and foreign realestate purchasers. So they will do whatever they can (including not so honest way) to get a piece of the pie.
3) the contrast between the "have" and "have not" is just too much, compount by the influx of Haitians and drugs from Haiti, create a high crime environment. The government put on a good show to let us think they are serious about fighting crime. However, the low pay police are corrupted, crime fighting amounts to only a gesture.
4) I do not feel "safe" if the police are corrunpted and the security guards you hire may screw you up one day. If I need help, who is going to help you. The police?
5) I believe DR people are honest and friendly in nature. They are driven by this huge contrast of have and have not environment to eventually tempted to be dishonest and for some women to sell their bodies.
6) I believe if you have a good network of honest dominican friends and honest "gringo" friends, you will be better off than counting on the police. But do expect most of the time they expect something in return. (I spent 300 pesos to buy one big can of milk power for one of my dominican friend when he told me he has a 2 months old baby, the another 200 pesos when he told me his car is out of gas. I spend 170 pesos to buy my realestate agent drinks and another 800 pesos to buy her dinner and drinks because I really think she is trying to "help" me. She is european, not dominican. Initially I thought just pasta for two, but after all the drinks she ordered for herself, the bill came to 1000 pesos. Kind of strange, you would think since she is the one who is going to make 4-5k us$ in commission, she would be buying??)

So, if you can share any experience about Costambar, Condominica Luperon and realestate purchase in general, I appreciate.

mharshman

Sep 23, 2003
condos in costambar

Friend this week just purchased a condo at Barlovento, in Costambar. Had a excellent lawyer
who handled papers. Seller very professional. All maintence fees and what they covered carefully explained and put in writing. Seller will manage complex for 5 years. Full representation that plumbing, wiring , ceiling fans and kitchen appliances in good working order and roof free from leaks. Full time complex manager.
This is the only way to buy unlessthey are selling AS IS.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Why the rush...

I am a little curious as to why you would rush to buy something. Why not come here and rent and take your time and do it right? Then make sure you have a good lawyer and get it all in writing and perhaps get documents translated into English.

Here people tell you what you want to hear and they can be very creative about it. And yes the story will change over time. You have to be firm and remember you can always walk away and go elsewhere. You tell them what you want and if they will not give it then consider walking. That condo is not the only one on the island that looks like a good deal.

Do not make the mistake of thinking that Dominicans don't have dollars. Many of them have investments all over the world and have very successful businesses in the USA. Believe me...they have dollars.

Your security is in your own hands. This is the wild wild west. You have to secure your property and yourself. But in general, crime is exaggerated here.
These people are for the most part docile. In general they would not hurt you or your family. They may steal from you, and they have many ways of doing this, but they will not hurt you. You are safer here than in many parts of USA. The police are not going to bother you. They don't shake you down.
Get to know the ones in your area.

I like Costambar. Nice beaches and layed back. If I were buying there I would have iron on all windows and doors and good lighting outside. I would consider having a dog. I might get a gun. Get to know your neighbors. Know the police.

jw2004

Nov 26, 2004
Why am I in a rush?

This is how it goes.
Back in March, 2004, came here the first time with an AI package, liked the weather, contemplated the possibility of retirement here, did a lot of web research, read DR1 etc, then decided to come back for a week and have allocated $ to purchase an apartment.
Since the time is short, I was looking to stay in someone home (esp. a dominican home) to see and hear first hand the day to day living. That did not work out.
You are like 95% of the expats I talked to, suggesting I take my time and "test" live here for at least 6 months and at least live thro the summer. The other 5% who says this is a good deal and that is a good deal has an agenda on their mind. Be it realestate agents or expats. Some expats who seems to be very helpful, only turn out they are looking for something in return. (indirectly from the seller, the lawyers or the money man.)
One poster from DR1, send me a PM, saying someone by the initial of GB, always preys on newcomer, asking to bring him pipe tobacco or deposite money with a certain financial man for a very high interest rate.
Your posting is very sincere and helpful. And I thank you.
By the way I am not implying all dominicans are poor. I am saying the gap between have and have not is too wide.
I share the same first impression with you, Costambar is layback and quiet compare to Sosua. I almost made an offer on a 2 bedroom right next to the beach until I found out the Easter break is a wild party there and the beach here is just about the only close by public beach the public can use.
Now get back to your Q, I think I am what you call "impulsive" and knowing I only have one week's time.

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
I have 2 condos in Costambar and one is in Luperon. There is a charter for Luperon and I think I have a copy in the US which I could fax to you. All owners in Costambar pay APC fees. This covers the street lights, garbage pick up, supposedly road repair ( we gave up and did our own road) etc. For one bedroom it is about $25 US a month and if you pay the entire year one month is free. If you want additional info about Luperon contact me privately.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Have A Hard And Fast "RULE" When It Comes To Dealing With Dominicans!!!:

NEVER,and I REPEAD,"NEVER" pay for a "good",or a"Service" before the "Good" is in your hands,or the "Service" has been performed!!!

Nice People,But!
Once they have your money,they loose all incentive to do the deed!

"Oh!".. And,"Never Lend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
More or less the same advice I gave him while he was in Sosua. He had a hard time listening as do others for some reason from Canada I have tried to help out previously. I hope he gets what he pays for.

Scott

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
??

What's this thread all about anyway???? OK, I'll re-read it from the beginning.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Not Canadian

Escott said:
More or less the same advice I gave him while he was in Sosua. He had a hard time listening as do others for some reason from Canada I have tried to help out previously. I hope he gets what he pays for.
Scott

I don't know that Canadians have a harder time listening to advice than any other nationality, but JW certainly is NOT Canadian, even if he moved there recently, he is not representative of other Canadians.
I have never met anybody as incapable of making a decision and sticking to it.
If JW does purchase something and moves here, he will be unhappy and will surely get himself into big trouble when he throws one of his tantrums.
This country is not for him.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Rocky said:
I don't know that Canadians have a harder time listening to advice than any other nationality, but JW certainly is NOT Canadian, even if he moved there recently, he is not representative of other Canadians.
I have never met anybody as incapable of making a decision and sticking to it.
If JW does purchase something and moves here, he will be unhappy and will surely get himself into big trouble when he throws one of his tantrums.
This country is not for him.
I think I am going to agree on this.

Escott