Good restaurant in Santo Domingo?

mexx78

Jan 23, 2004
Hi people,

this is the deal: Ill be one night in Santo Domingo and Im going to meet my parents there. We will all stay one night at the palacio.

I would love to take them to a fantastic dinner. Seafood or light food - italian style would be nice. It can be good restaurant - how often d? you meet your parents in Santo Domingo?

Could you please recommend a good restaurant in or near the colonial zone matching these criterias? Any info is highly appreciated.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
It's Not Italian,...

But the French style Meson du Bari is just one block from the Palacio and overall, has a large menu with good food reasonably priced. Their Meson Filete (house steak) with onions and peppers is a personal favorite and we usually eat there at least one night when we're in Santo Domingo.

lilsam

Santo Domingo Sammy
Jan 2, 2002
Umm Good

Resturant Cantabrico is very good on Independcia about 2 blocks from the Park has great seafood and not on the menu but great is Medellions de Filte

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Vesuvio on Malecon is very classy, or Meson de la Cava for seafood on the Mirador, it?s a restaurant inside a cave! But for ambiance I would definitely got to Plaza Espa?a!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
newuser said:
My suggestion is to take them to one of the restaurants in Plaza Espa?a. The ambience there is like no other place in SD. The restaurants are decent also. Pate Palo is my suggestion.

This would be my advice as well. If your in the city for one night, Plaza Espana is the best option.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Would Have To Go With "El Vesuvio" on the Malecon!!!!

It is a Dominican "Institution"! You will see politicians,wealthy Dominicans,tourists,and even "Italian" types with their "UBH" girlfriends!
The menu is huge,Italian,Seafood,steaks,Dominican,pick your own Lobster or fish before it is cooked! Ask for "Chepe"! Enzio,the owner, will usually be seen walking around greeting the diners.I suggest a mixed "carpachio",fish,beef,a cream of "Aoyama" soup,Lightly Broiled Salmon,if available.The "Foccachio" is great!Steaks are good.There is an antipasta cart,and a desert cart.Great Cappuchino and other coffees!You can sit inside,or outside.CCCCCCCCCCCC

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
All of these suggestions are worth following.

Meson de Bari is one of my favourites too, but I would define it as Dominican, not French cuisine. Very good indeed.

platanomami23

Nov 25, 2003
good food!!

Two suggestions for you:

There's a restaurant in the colonial zone across the street from the Monument/Building dedicated to the National Heros of the DR. It's the street closest to the wall overlooking the river below. I think it's called El Bar and they have really good food (lobster, duck, rabbit) in an enclosed courtyard.

Another option is Boga Boga. It's between Avenida Bolivar and Avenida Lincoln right past the Universidad Catolica, so you could take a taxi. You'll see the Hotel Plaza Florida and a Bank right there on the corner. It's a Spanish restaurant and their seafood paella is amazing!!! It's mostly upper-class Spaniards and Dominicans that go there. It's definitely worth the trip if you like paella! (rice dish with fish, shrimp, crawfish, etc.)

Hope you have a great time!!

Angela

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Try Di Franco in the Zona Colonial. It has a roof deck which is really nice. I dont know the exact address but its in the street perpendicular to Cafe Bari, about 2 corners up.
Great food and great ambience!