What does "Papi" mean and appropriate to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdj

Dec 16, 2004
Ok, Here is the situation.

I am from america and my fiance is from the dominican republic.

She was living in puerto rico for ten years and I met her there when I lived there.

I trust her completely. However, there is a problem that I have in one thing she does.

She calls other men "papi". (She also will call women she doesn't know "mi amor".)

She is in Florida right now and I am in North Carolina and will be moving in with her soon. She lives with one of her sons and her ex husbands sister, Edith.

Edith met her boyfriend 4 months ago and are talking about getting married and he will probably move into the apartment in January.

Recently, her older sons visited her on one of their birthdays and her ex husband came up to see them as well.

We were talking on the phone as she arrived home and said hello to her ex husband by the name Fernando and they said hola papi to Edith's boyfriend.

Now, I am not fluent in spanish and know it is used differently in many countries, but I was confused why she would be calling any other man besides her boyfriend or husband or son papi.

We talked later about it and she says she has learned many words and not everyone understands all these words and because of that words don't really mean anything. It is more about the Tone, Inflection of voice which is important. She says that in her job, if she thinks you are a decent person and does not know your name or there is a group around, she will call those men "papi"

To me, papi means: Daddy, Baby, My Love....you say it to the boyfriends, husbands, and sons...if you are in a committed relationship. If you are single, then to a man you have an interest in getting to know alot better.

To me, that is an important word. If I was not her fiance or boyfriend, I would not call her mami. If there was no interest in having her be my fiance or girlfriend.

And I would not want other men to call her mami either. That's my women/baby/love, not yours.

Now I'm not looking for someone to be on my side of this or her side of this.....but, I would like to know what "papi" and "mami" mean to most people and what it means most of the time you use those words. And when and who it is appropriate to be used with.

I can imagine there might be a situation that might 'break' the normal rule of when it is used, I'd like to know those as well.

Having her call other men Papi...daddy, big daddy, lover, boyfriend, husband, baby, etc.....bothers me. It doesn't seem to matter to her what she is calls others or what they call her as long as it is with good tone.

(although if I said como esta mami with the same tone as I said como esta puta or como esta pendejo", I don't think she would think those words meant nothing, just because they were used with good tone.)

Also, do you think I am overreacting? I feel it is very disrepectful to say that to another man when you are in a committed relationship. Would it bother you if your wife or girlfriend called others papi, or your husband or boyfriend called other women mami?

Are these words used differently in the Dominican Republic? What do they mean there? How are they used there? Are they appropriate to call everyone? etc....

And what would you think of a mans wife saying papi to another man, if you knew they were together? Would you still respect her? Would you still respect him?

Basically, any information, translations, thoughts, ideas...would be helpful in me understanding what's going on.

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
you know when you go in a store and you see a young lady that works there yo might feel inclined to say "excuse me hun do you know where the....?

or "I'm sorry sweety can I get a .....?

Are you catching my drift

Those are just words you say to anyone. Im a woman and Ill say "My love would you mind moving over" to a guy on the bus.

Come on if yo love her so much then this is pettyness that you should not even think about it. You should be worried had she called her ex-husband "papi". but as you wrote she called him by his name and called the other girl's boyfriend by that ever-popular word.

Its the same as if you're in Dr and a girl can say "Mi rey como estas" or "Mi negro" or "Chulo" or "Mi amor" or "Amor Bello" or "Dulcura"

do you catch my drift?

those are just fillers and make the other person feel welcomed or helps get things done fast (meaning the girl in store scenerio)

Hope to have been of assistance

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
bdj said:
Ok, Here is the situation.

I am from america and my fiance is from the dominican republic.

She was living in puerto rico for ten years and I met her there when I lived there.

I trust her completely. However, there is a problem that I have in one thing she does.

She calls other men "papi". (She also will call women she doesn't know "mi amor".)

She is in Florida right now and I am in North Carolina and will be moving in with her soon. She lives with one of her sons and her ex husbands sister, Edith.

Edith met her boyfriend 4 months ago and are talking about getting married and he will probably move into the apartment in January.

Recently, her older sons visited her on one of their birthdays and her ex husband came up to see them as well.

We were talking on the phone as she arrived home and said hello to her ex husband by the name Fernando and they said hola papi to Edith's boyfriend.

Now, I am not fluent in spanish and know it is used differently in many countries, but I was confused why she would be calling any other man besides her boyfriend or husband or son papi.

We talked later about it and she says she has learned many words and not everyone understands all these words and because of that words don't really mean anything. It is more about the Tone, Inflection of voice which is important. She says that in her job, if she thinks you are a decent person and does not know your name or there is a group around, she will call those men "papi"

To me, papi means: Daddy, Baby, My Love....you say it to the boyfriends, husbands, and sons...if you are in a committed relationship. If you are single, then to a man you have an interest in getting to know alot better.

To me, that is an important word. If I was not her fiance or boyfriend, I would not call her mami. If there was no interest in having her be my fiance or girlfriend.

And I would not want other men to call her mami either. That's my women/baby/love, not yours.

Now I'm not looking for someone to be on my side of this or her side of this.....but, I would like to know what "papi" and "mami" mean to most people and what it means most of the time you use those words. And when and who it is appropriate to be used with.

I can imagine there might be a situation that might 'break' the normal rule of when it is used, I'd like to know those as well.

Having her call other men Papi...daddy, big daddy, lover, boyfriend, husband, baby, etc.....bothers me. It doesn't seem to matter to her what she is calls others or what they call her as long as it is with good tone.

(although if I said como esta mami with the same tone as I said como esta puta or como esta pendejo", I don't think she would think those words meant nothing, just because they were used with good tone.)

Also, do you think I am overreacting? I feel it is very disrepectful to say that to another man when you are in a committed relationship. Would it bother you if your wife or girlfriend called others papi, or your husband or boyfriend called other women mami?

Are these words used differently in the Dominican Republic? What do they mean there? How are they used there? Are they appropriate to call everyone? etc....

And what would you think of a mans wife saying papi to another man, if you knew they were together? Would you still respect her? Would you still respect him?

Basically, any information, translations, thoughts, ideas...would be helpful in me understanding what's going on.

Hey dont let that bother you,
that is a dominican thing.....They will greet just about anybody with mi amor, mami, papi etc...the closest meaning to this would be sweetie...just like in the US many people who dont even know you call you sweetie.
Many times you can even hear a male dominican calling you papi and it is all good it does not mean that they are gay....They will also call you mi vida, carino, Negra, Negro, moreno, morena etc...Now if she calls other men papi lindo, papi chulo...then you should worry.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My very un PC opinion,

which you did not really ask for.

You girlfriend seems to be very uneducated, and has a very limited vocabulary and a tiny brain that is good a getting what she wants. Low class is where she was born and bred, and low class she shall remain.

Fact of life.

Make a better choice next time...

HB

bdj

Dec 16, 2004
Thanks for the responses so far.

Although, hillbilly, she has a Masters Degree and is very educated.

Every country, people say and do things differently.

I think Papi and Mami are used VERY differently here in the United States, (where we are now).

Although I would still like to hear other opinions. I do appreciate the ones that have posted so far.

As far as being petty.... (The word is used very differently here in the United States....But Graciela is from the Dominican Republic and has lived many years in Puerto Rico and other latin american countries.....)

As far as being petty....that is why I am here, to understand more and educate myself on the Dominican Culture, and not just lump all spanish speakers in the same world. We have not argued or fought over this, but we have discussed this. With a better understanding, maybe it won't bother me as much.

Although, as I said, here, it it used quite differently and many if not most would start fighting if these words were used by a women or man..... It would be VERY disrspectful to say.....but, from what I understand, in spain, you would not say papi to anyone but your father.

I've talked to people from Peru and Puerto Rico, and Columbia.

In a slang book, Bizcocho means like cup cake. hey cup cake...like hey sweetie....but in another country, it basically is like saying puta......

So I did a search and it seemed like this would be a great place to ask and become more informed.

Again, I appreciate the posts and hope more come......Thanks.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I've never referred to anyone as mami or papi except, well, to Mami and Papi. Or to ask a child "where's your papi/mami?". However this is not true of everyone, if I had 1 cent for every time a total stranger has called me "mi amor", "cari?o", "bella", the dreaded "mami" or other such I'd be stinkinly rich. Trust her or don't, only you can decide.

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
I think what Hillbilly tried to point out was that your girlfriend regardless of her acquired formal education, appears to have little, plain, or no manners at all when trying to interact with others, which evidently tells that she had little interest in polishing up her "persona" while studying. Now my suggestion is to deal with it and forget it about it. In fact if you somehow let her know you disapprove her behaviour towards other men she will do it even more often. Make her jealous instead by calling women "mami" and "mi amor" right in front of her!, and you'll see she will eventually address less men as "papi".

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
bdj said:
Thanks for the responses so far.

Although, hillbilly, she has a Masters Degree and is very educated.

Every country, people say and do things differently.

I think Papi and Mami are used VERY differently here in the United States, (where we are now).

Although I would still like to hear other opinions. I do appreciate the ones that have posted so far.

As far as being petty.... (The word is used very differently here in the United States....But Graciela is from the Dominican Republic and has lived many years in Puerto Rico and other latin american countries.....)

As far as being petty....that is why I am here, to understand more and educate myself on the Dominican Culture, and not just lump all spanish speakers in the same world. We have not argued or fought over this, but we have discussed this. With a better understanding, maybe it won't bother me as much.

Although, as I said, here, it it used quite differently and many if not most would start fighting if these words were used by a women or man..... It would be VERY disrspectful to say.....but, from what I understand, in spain, you would not say papi to anyone but your father.

I've talked to people from Peru and Puerto Rico, and Columbia.

In a slang book, Bizcocho means like cup cake. hey cup cake...like hey sweetie....but in another country, it basically is like saying puta......

So I did a search and it seemed like this would be a great place to ask and become more informed.

Again, I appreciate the posts and hope more come......Thanks.

I did not mean to offend you by saying that "you" were petty. I just meant that those words are used so loosely that it seemed an insignificant thing to think about.

Im sorry if it did. It truly was not my intention

bdj

Dec 16, 2004
Oche said:
Now my suggestion is to deal with it and forget it about it. In fact if you somehow let her know you disapprove her behaviour towards other men she will do it even more often. Make her jealous instead by calling women "mami" and "mi amor" right in front of her!, and you'll see she will eventually address less men as "papi".

I thought about doing that and calling other women mami in front of her. But that would be in effect trying to do harm to the relationship, in my opinion.

I somewhat doubt she will start calling others papi more, now that she knows it bothers me.

But we'll see. Honestly, I just want to be happy and have her happy and if we have to play all these games, it's just not worth it. Although, there is a slight chance I do that at some point just to see her reaction. But not for the long term. More for my own information. As in the United States, it is used more in the sense of the one you are committed to or want to be commited too. So I could imagine it back firing on me and getting into alot of fights with others and having her say i'm just not using it right or with the right tone.

We have talked about this and she has spoken with her mother, while we were on the phone....they spoke for a few minutes and I heard her mother chuckle a little bit. I asked what she said and Graciela told me she just laughed a bit. She didn't say WHAT her mother said.

We talked about maybe TRYING to use other words instead, like chico, nino, muchacho, hombre, amigo, compadre......I came up with those...she offered those and baby. (I don't like baby either, but not nearly as much as I don't like papi)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I have an idea. It's way off the wall ;)

Why don't you tell her how much it bothers you to hear her call other men papi and everyone else mi amor and maybe just maybe she'll get it and stop. I know we are mind readers but not all the time.
Don't bother playing games it's toooo much work.

Good luck

bdj

Dec 16, 2004
lizzyjl80 said:
I did not mean to offend you by saying that "you" were petty. I just meant that those words are used so loosely that it seemed an insignificant thing to think about.

Im sorry if it did. It truly was not my intention

That's ok. I think here, they are used with much more meaning.
You just don't say that to another women who is in a relationship or another guy...etc.....it will often mean a fight....very disrespectful.

Even if it ends up not bothering me, it still can create problems when everyone else uses that word with the meaning that it has in the United States. If someone want's to 'punk' me out or disrespect me...call my girl mami. If some women want's to disrespect Graciela, call me papi.
It's just not used loosly here.

like the one guy said...."Now if she calls other men papi lindo, papi chulo...then you should worry."

I still don't like it, because it does have meaning to me. A very definete meaning. But I think I might be able to be a lil more understanding...

And yes to all, I do trust her and do NOT think she is cheating or being un faithful. These questions are not to reflect that she is cheating, just to understand the word, the meaning, how it's used, and how it is NOT used.

To get a better idea on how it made me feel, just think of a word that you call your wife or husband and that is special for just you two to call each other and then imagine, because of a different culture, she starts calling everyone that. ARGH....

every culture and every state and everyone has different words that mean something.

It is very good to get this feedback.....MORE FEEDBACK would still be very much appreciated.

Thanks to all for the feedback so far.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is an old hillbilly saying:

You can lead a horticulture,
but you can't make her a lady.

Another one:

YOu can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

That said, the fact that she got to the states make one wonder "how" she got there, with her kids and ex-hubby. D@mn!

I wonder how 99% of most males would feel talking to their girlfriends, that they have been sleepiing with, and hearing her greet an ex-husband and father of her children, as papi!. Hey man, that is a term used by hookers for their johns, so they don't have to remember things like names... I could just imagine this broad in a business meeting: "Hey papi, mi amor, that contract needs some pencil work...." GMAB, fer crissakes...

A masters in what? Seems far fetched with that sort of vocabulary and all this crap about tone and so forth. And speaking to mommy and giggling in front of the man she supposedly loves? Bullschitt!

HB

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
this is something that many Dominicans do as already mentioned. However, it is annoying because it lacks sincerity and is not genuine. Not everyone you speak to is "mami" or "papi". Whatever happened to saying " sir" or "ma'am/miss"

I suggest you re-read what HB wrote. Look into his comments deeper and you will understand many times it has nothing to do with schooling.

If it bothers you, tell her.

good luck

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Anna Coniglio said:
I have an idea. It's way off the wall ;)

Why don't you tell her how much it bothers you to hear her call other men papi and everyone else mi amor and maybe just maybe she'll get it and stop. I know we are mind readers but not all the time.
Don't bother playing games it's toooo much work.

Good luck
Anna, I have to get this off my chest: Would you just frigging stop imparting common sense and wisdom? It has no place in these fora!

bdj

Dec 16, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
Why don't you tell her how much it bothers you to hear her call other men papi and everyone else mi amor and maybe just maybe she'll get it and stop.Good luck

That was the first thing I did. She thought I was joking, Then was like "ooh no" when she realized I was not joking.

She talked about it not meaning anything. It's all about the tone and inflextion of the voice...etc.

I told her papi means daddy. and you only call your love daddy in the us. She said it did NOT mean daddy and to look it up in the dictionary. Well, in the dictionary it means daddy. ;)

We talked about it about a week later after I did my research and we did not agree officially....but it seemed like after we both came up with different words to use instead and it was kind of agreed to.

But I still wanted more information, and all this is being helpful to me.
She's mentioned it to her mother and so on......so we talk about it.

She said she didn't want to change who she was for anyone. I thought of this as more like compromise. She doesn't like to be spanked when we have sex.....and I love doing that, but she doesn't like it....I don't see that as change, but compromise, if she really doesn't like it.

After she talked to her mother, AND after she realized I was not accusing her of being unfaithful or using the wrong intent.....things seemed to be better with having some compromise.

So no games to be played....I think now it might work out and we'll have a better understanding of each other. She may not say it nearly as much, and I won't scream and yell in a jealous rage if she does....

bdj

Dec 16, 2004
Hillbilly said:

Another one:

That said, the fact that she got to the states make one wonder "how" she got there, with her kids and ex-hubby. D@mn!

I wonder how 99% of most males would feel talking to their girlfriends, that they have been sleepiing with, and hearing her greet an ex-husband and father of her children, as papi!. Hey man, that is a term used by hookers for their johns, so they don't have to remember things like names... I could just imagine this broad in a business meeting: "Hey papi, mi amor, that contract needs some pencil work...." GMAB, fer crissakes...

A masters in what? Seems far fetched with that sort of vocabulary and all this crap about tone and so forth. And speaking to mommy and giggling in front of the man she supposedly loves? Bullschitt!

HB

Two of her children are in the US military. She did not say papi to her ex husband, he was there visiting his son on his birthday. She said hi to her ex (hola fernando), and then say hello papi to her roommates boyfriend. Her roommate is her ex husbands sister. Her mother was there at the time.

bdj

Dec 16, 2004
xamaicano said:
Yo girl is ghetto, yo.

ok, but the question was about the meaning and use of the word papi.

I'm sorry that I don't speak ebonics (I can, but no purpose to do so here)

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
HB
I think you are judging this issue with prejudice. That's not right.

BDJ
I think this is an issue of comfort zone and upbringing. Culturally, people who tend to grow up in DR/PR tend to speak this way generally to anybody. I've heard people say, mami, papi, carino, chulo, amor, negro/a, etc. It IS like say
ing sweetie, sweetheart, honey or hon to a complete stranger.

However, while I know this is common practice and have been victim to it and have even said the words myself (in fact I used it today in a posting on dr1), I sometimes do not feel comfortable using it. Maybe its the American in me (I am of Dominican descent). I have even been called carino by my friend's husband in front of her!! I totally felt uncomfortable, but didn't say anything. Because I know this is just how this guy is, and that he means nothing by it. Both he and his wife were DR raised and are both well educated.

So as you have done I would tell her where you stand on the issue and let it go. If possible embrace the words and use them yourself when appropriate.

d
Hillbilly said:

Another one:

HB

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
It might be good to get a better handle on the language and the culture before getting married. But you didn't ask that either.

bdj said:
ok, but the question was about the meaning and use of the word papi.

I'm sorry that I don't speak ebonics (I can, but no purpose to do so here)

Status
Not open for further replies.