Sad news and request for info...

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
For those of you who know my grandmother Barbara of restaurant Cosa Nostra fame, this would be a good time to keep her in your prayers.

She is in the hospital in California with an inoperable tumor, at present it is fairly certain that she will pass soon. Emotionally she is a very strong woman, I spoke to her this morning and she is in good spirits considering she is perfectly aware of her situation, her sense of humor is still very healthy.

My question is this: I will be going to California tomorrow to see her, and I would like to bring my wife with me but she is Dominican and has no visa. I have been told that there is no expidited visa process for a situation like this, does anyone know otherwise? At this point it is obvious my wife would have to come along later - I just hoped it wouldn't be so much later htat she wouldn't get to speak with her mother-in-law at all. I called the embassy several times and the best response I could get was: "we can maybe schedule you a rush interview for the end of January". I expected as much but want to exhaust every possible source of information before giving up.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hi Mike
My prayers are with you and your family at this time.. Is this the grandmother you wanted to spend Thanksgiving with? I hope you did.

I'm sorry I can't help with your other question but will pray for the best.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Anna Coniglio said:
Hi Mike
My prayers are with you and your family at this time.. Is this the grandmother you wanted to spend Thanksgiving with? I hope you did.

I'm sorry I can't help with your other question but will pray for the best.

Yes I did spend Thanksgiving with her, thank you Anna.
thanksgiving.jpg

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hello Mike & SO sorry to hear your sad news.

I don't think for one moment that Bill Kirkman's office in Puerto Plata will be able to do anything to expurdite matters but it MAY be worth a try getting hold of him at Sea Horse Ranch & asking his opinion of whom you might contact to put a bit of influence on the Embassy in Santo Domingo.

A few years ago I had cause to liaise with the US Embassy & found the distinctly unhelpful until a Senator or Congressman/woman got involved. Do you know the Senator/Congreeperson in YOUR old local or that of your Grandmother? If so, an e-mail/phonecall to them MIGHT elicit some help!! I am sure the mention of some press coverage (good AND bad) might help things along a bit!!! The VERY best of luck to you, I hope you get some better news re your Grandmother & success in getting your wife up to see her very soon! ~ Grahame.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks for sharing that picture Mike. Ever since you said "how many people in their 30's still have grandparents" I've thought about it. Kind of stuck to my mind because my kids no longer have grandparents.

So glad you spent the time with them.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Very sorry to hear this

I know Barbs and Bud. We played a bit of golf together and always had fun. She's a great cook and meals at Cosa Nostra will never be the same.

God speed. Give them both our love. Stay close to Bud. He is losing his best friend and mate of 50+ years...You have to be the strong one now.

HB with heavy heart.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I'll add her to our prayer wheel (or prayer circle as some would say!)

Our thoughts are with you and hopefully you;ll be able to get a visa! We'll send a prayer up for that to happen quickly!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
MrMike, my prayers are with you, your grandmother, and family.

Regards,
PJT

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Mr. Mike....there is a "window" for special circumstances...

....please email me with a tel. # and i will call you and tell you what I know on the topic (dms3611@aol.com).

I would really like this to work out for you. We really enjoyed our association with Barbara and her fine hospitality to us. We feel really bad about her present health condition.

Best, Dave Snyder

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Mike, we spent a little time with your loved ones today. Anything, and I mean anything, we can do locally during this period, while you are in California, just let us know. We are thinking about you and wish you strength.

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Another cause for sadness

I have had the pleasure of knowing Barbara. What an amazing woman. Fantastic sense of humor, loved and lived life to it's fullest and a wonderful cook. She always had a smile for everyone and the unique ability to make people feel that they were her new best friends. I'm sure she will maintain that attitude as long as she possibly can.

How sad to know that someone so spirited is being taken from us. Our sincere condolances to Bud, Mike and the entire family. Please know that she is in our thoughts.

Dianne & Danny

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Thank you all for your prayers and wishes,

Barbara passed away on Saturday at around 11:30 Pacific time, I guess it would have been 3:30 in Santiago. She died peacefully and it is fairly certain she was not in any pain. She got to say goodby to most of those close to her and was able to make her wishes known to people she could trust to carry them out. She was aware that she was loved by many.

Only because of the volume of phone calls I have received do I feel ok posting this on the internet, it seems that word has gotten around to all of our family already.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Distraught for you Mike & even more sorry that your wife could not make it in time due to beurocracy involved. Your grandmather was obviously a Grand Lady in every sense of the word & we share your grief at her passing.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the DR in the not too distant future ~ Grahame.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
It is always sad to read something like this, particularly when you can't be with that person at the time of death. It brings memories about my grandmother's passing. She died in Cuba many years ago and I wasn't there. I have always missed her.

I am sorry to read your sad news, the good thing was that she did have time to communicate her feelings and wishes and that she did not die in pain.