Dog bite

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
Many will remember my last post about the poor little Chihuahua puppy tossed of a motoconcho onto the high way. I wouldn?t go so far as to call myself a dog lover but it seems quite ironic that it?s that emotion that got me into this predicament.

This morning while enjoying a fine cup of coffee I hear my watchdog (tied to the front door) fighting with another dog. Turns out it?s this same beast that?s been making trouble in the area for the past few weeks, a very aggressive little SOB.

When I stepped out I couldn?t find anything like a stick or rock to use to break it up so fearing for my dog?s health I had no choice but to kick the intruding animal but as I did so it got a hold of my leg and added 4 holes that God never intended for me to have on my leg. It did the trick however because dog took off.

I?ve never suffered a serious bit from any animal so I didn?t realize how much it hurts. My wife suggested that we get over to the Clinica right away but for some reason I have this idea that more damage could be done at the Hospital then what I?d already suffered but she made me go.

I was pleasantly surprised when I got to the Centro Medico Bournigal in POP. The emergency room was clean and not unlike the ones in Toronto, empty because it was a Sunday (I guess) and the staff very friendly. $950.00 Pesos later I was on my way all cleaned and bandaged up and a note from the Dr. for the authorities to capture the dog and hold if for observations.

So now I?m faced with a choice, after saving the life of one dog last week I have to decide if I want to take the life of this one. The choice is being made easier by the fact that with each passing day this dog gets more aggressive towards our dogs and our neighbor?s and now I fear that with my actions it could become a threat to people as well. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Toronto2inDR said:
So now I?m faced with a choice, after saving the life of one dog last week I have to decide if I want to take the life of this one. The choice is being made easier by the fact that with each passing day this dog gets more aggressive towards our dogs and our neighbor?s and now I fear that with my actions it could become a threat to people as well. Any suggestions would be helpful.

It is also important to you to know if you need further treatment. Kill the dog and find out.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
If this dog bit you, it should be quarantined and tested for rabies.
You are taking a big risk by assuming the dog is rabies free.
Usually if the dog can't be found and tested, anyone bitten gets the painful rabies shots just in case.

Sounds to me like this dog should be put down before it gets it's jaws on someone else, especially a child.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If the dog has an owner

And can be observed, it will show symptoms within three days.

You have a 7 day (+/_) window to obtain the rabies vaccine. No longer the ordeal it used to be.

However, if the dog show signs of being rabid, do not hesitate one instant . YOu should know that there is no cure for human rabies, once clinical symptoms manifest themselves. Demerol, morphine and death. So :
1) watch the dog
2) report the incident and have the authorites watch the dog.

This does not mean that they have to kill the animal.

You can place a complaint against your neighbor about the dog.

I do hope this is a case of a nasty dog and not a sick dog, only for your health......not the dog's

HB :D:D

beano

Oct 29, 2003
In the US, where I work for a state health department, and oversee rabies surveillance for our district, studies indicate that a human has up to 10 days to either obtain the biting animal for a 10 day confinement/observation (as long as the animal is seen on a regular basis) or euthanize the animal so that the brain may be sent for rabies testing. I would definitely recommend euthanizing the pesky dog for testing, and to prevent any further incidents from happening. In most cases, once a biter, always a biter. By the way, post-exposure injections for rabies are over $2000US here in VA, and should be avoided if possible. Hope this helps.

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
Well I?ve started my rabies treatment. It?s a shot in the upper back that is not very painful but I have to go back every day for 7 days and then later my reinforcement shots, I think it?s 5 over then next few weeks/months.

The dog is a street dog with no owner and it was back last night to make trouble but in my condition I was not up to getting out there to try and grab it. I?m going to see if a vet will come out here and nab him so we can test it but as far as the people at the Centro de Salud say, I have to get the treatment right away so I did.

There is no cost for the shots, they?ve had to administer the treatment many many times due to the number of street dogs running around and the frequent bites. I hate to say it but maybe a better and more cost effective solution is not free shots but animal control.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Edited to delete the entire post because I didn't read the thread carefully and my comments were redundant.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well done

You are to be congratulated for doing the best thing.

If the dog was back, it is pretty safe to guess that he is not rabid. Rabies acts quickly in the canine group and a few days are enough for the phobia to set in.

Better safe than sorry.

To answer the question: How common? Well, over forty years ago we were warned that this was one of the few areas of the Western Hemisphere where we might see a case of human rabies. Absolutely true. There are several cases every year, some reported in the papers and some not.

The chief causes are mongoose, rat, or dog or cat bites.

Mostly people in the cane growing regions or the peripheral barrios of the towns.

Glad to see your very intelligent and wise decision.

HB

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
There is a world of difference between tossing a chihuahua from a motoconcho and having a dog put down because of excessive aggression. I AM a died in the wool animal lover but you do have to think of your own protection, let alone the protection of your own dog(s), your neighbours, and most of all, your neighbours kids. Even if it does not have rabies, it is still a serious threat to the neighbourhood.

Growing up, we had many dogs and a few did show aggression, especially to kids. Most of these we were able to find homes for where they would not be exposed to kids and they did well. Only one did we have to have put down because it showed aggression to everyone.

Something needs to be done about that dog before it mauls a child.

Rose

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
Today was shot number 2. It is not painful at all. I?ve read up about rabies on the net and here?s what I?ve found. If a dog bites you and you clean the bite area right away with alcohol then you have a 90% chance of stopping a potential rabies infection. I did that. Then I went to the emergency room to get better cleaned up so I add another 90% probability that nipped it in the bud. Add to that the chances that the dog is infected, 50/50 for a street dog (says the vet) and finally the shots I?m getting now?If my math is right then there is a 20% chance that I infected the dog with rabies.