Dominican Middle Class due to Drugs????

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I recently went to the Puerto Rico board at www.puertorico.com and I found a thread titled "Dead Dominicans No Good".

It was interesting to read what Puerto Ricans and non-Puerto Ricans who have an interest in that island and/or live there have to say about the illegal migration of Dominicans to that island.

However, there was a response that bothered me a little bit. One of the posters claim that "much of the middle class money in the Dominican Republic is drug money".

Now, I just wonder if that guy is saying that the entire 2 to 3 million Dominicans who belong to the middle class are involved in drugs? This guy has it so wrong!

Anyways, here is the link directly to that thread!

http://www.puertorico.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=18145

Scroll down to the 7th and 11th responses on this thread, written by Fulanodetal.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
O.K Portorro

Just remenber who ever wrote that comment was a ignorant Puerto Rican.
I don't have nothing against Puerto Rican because I have Puerto Rican family
and friends.

Now in my personal point of view a lot of Puerto Rican dislike Dominican Reason that I don't know exactly. Something that I know for sure Dominicans we are proud to be independient. Most Dominican specialy middle class are not involved in drug regarding I am not saying that because Dominican Rep. is my home.

Many people who own a:

Colmado and "Colmadon"
Super mercados
Mechanic shop
Bus for transport "Guaguas"
Taxi
Restaurant
bars
Cd stores

If I keep saying it will take long to finish. This people who have those business they are not involved in the Drug dealer thing or whatever Puerto Ricans want to call. Dominican we fight hard to go ahead in life if we have the opportunity and then we start our own business. for a simple reason that we don't have a "wellfare" system it mean if Dominican that don't work don't eat unless that some family menber give them financial support.

Some Puerto Rican talk like that because they see a few Dominican in Puerto Rico involved in drug. but it have fact wich is "Illegaly immigrant" who can't get a job any place in PR.

Just look it this Puerto Rican many has document for work and what are they doing in state wellfare and dealing drug. Not all

Nal0whs: You have been in the DR you should know. I could be wrong but all of the middle class people and high class that I know they made their life working hard. Maybe the person who made the comment know a Dominican who got rich like that but that doesn't mean most middle class Dominican does the same thing.

With my Respect to all Puerto Rican,

Homer Simpson

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Just remenber who ever wrote that comment was a ignorant Puerto Rican.
I don't have nothing against Puerto Rican because I have Puerto Rican family
and friends.
I know it was an ignorant PR guy. I just wonder how many of them (the ignorant types) exist in this world.

Now in my personal point of view a lot of Puerto Rican dislike Dominican Reason that I don't know exactly.
I'm trying to figure it out myself. I can't be that they are jelous that we (Dominicans) have been catching up to them on a per capita basis in the past decade or so? I mean, yes, it's true that Puerto Rico has been stalling lately in its economic development (GDP per capita in PR is only $9,000, compare that to the increasing GDP per capita in the DR).

Maybe they are jelous that we are starting to make it on our own. Or maybe they are jelous at our fabulous tourist industry (the largest in the Caribbean). After all, Punta Cana has more hotel rooms than PR has as a total and Punta Cana occupancy rates are slightly higher than PR.

Or maybe it's just something that only PR knows? I don't know, but I'm trying to figure out exactly what it is that is causing many PR's be in such position. Many PR's deny that its a racial thing, so I'll leave that one out.

It's funny how when the tables are turn, people forget quickly. I mean, a few decades ago, PR's were the one's crossing the Mona Passage to reach the DR! Now, the flow has reversed and this is how Dominicans get treated! I know it was an ignorant guy, but it's just interesting to read some of these things and not know exactly why its happening.

Something that I know for sure Dominicans we are proud to be independient.
Thank you for seeing Dominicans for what we truly are! Independent minded people, that is why the DR is soo different from any other country in all aspects. We do things our way, end of story!

Most Dominican specialy middle class are not involved in drug regarding I am not saying that because Dominican Rep. is my home.

Many people who own a:

Colmado and "Colmadon"
Super mercados
Mechanic shop
Bus for transport "Guaguas"
Taxi
Restaurant
bars
Cd stores

If I keep saying it will take long to finish. This people who have those business they are not involved in the Drug dealer thing or whatever Puerto Ricans want to call. Dominican we fight hard to go ahead in life if we have the opportunity and then we start our own business. for a simple reason that we don't have a "wellfare" system it mean if Dominican that don't work don't eat unless that some family menber give them financial support.
I wish you would post this in the Puerto Rican site. I wonder what that guy will respond to this reality of Dominicans.

Some Puerto Rican talk like that because they see a few Dominican in Puerto Rico involved in drug. but it have fact wich is "Illegaly immigrant" who can't get a job any place in PR.
That is understadable. Misconceptions will always emerge towards any foreign group in any country.

Just look it this Puerto Rican many has document for work and what are they doing in state wellfare and dealing drug. Not all
And that comment is coming from a guy that is partially Puerto Rican or has Puerto Ricans in his/her family! Then again, statistics do speak for themselves.

Nal0whs: You have been in the DR you should know. I could be wrong but all of the middle class people and high class that I know they made their life working hard. Maybe the person who made the comment know a Dominican who got rich like that but that doesn't mean most middle class Dominican does the same thing.
I live in Santo Domingo and I have been very successful so far, so of course I know that we make our daily bread by working hard.

I just don't know if that guy said that comment about Dominicans because he either knows a Dominican involved in drugs or he is simply making up stuff because he is mad at the migration situation. It would be interesting to know.

With my Respect to all Puerto Rican,
I respect all Puerto Ricans who say something and can justify it or at least try to justify it afterwards. Besides, I have some Puerto Rican friends of mine, but they are rich folks with investments here in the DR as well. They don't have such mentality towards Dominicans at all, at least not from what I have noticed. I just don't know if they are an exception or the rule.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I'll tell you this...

I find it disgraceful that there are so many young people of puerto-rican descent whose parents came here to give them a better life and all they have done is created one of the biggest slums in the United States. If anyone doubts this go to New York City and visit the South Bronx.

Then go to Washington heights and see the difference. Every ethnic community has their share of problems, but most of the retail stores and markets in Washington Heights are owned or managed by dominicans who live in the community. You can't say that about puerto-ricans in the South Bronx. They own nothing and most of the decent people who live and work there are busy trying not to be victimized by the jackels in baggy clothing that hang around loitering in front of the bodegas and apartment buildings with nothing better to do then to cause trouble.

The Dominicans came to New York City and managed to create an enclave with some sense of community. The South Bronx is just a dump. Go see for yourself who lives where and tell me if any puerto rican can rightly say anything bad about any dominican.

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
Alot of what im goin to say may sound similar to what i said in the other PR vs DR thread , but here i go . To PRs as soon as you mention Dominicans they percieve themselves to be better then us . I hate when people say that this isnt true . I bet this guy knows nothing about DR and look at what he has already come up with .he doesnt know we have the largest economy in the caribean and is growing faster than thiers.They think that becuase people are dying to get overthere that they live that much better than us . They fail to understand that only the lowest of the lowest of classes get on those boats and that the situation is a little exaggerated(Dominicans have a tendency of doing so) .However, people those boards are pretty well rounded ,so im sure someone corrected him and if not it just shows you how far the ignorance goes.

guaroa

*** Sin Bin ***
Dec 13, 2004
los sarnozos y mediogre take las yolas

FuegoAzul21 said:
Alot of what im goin to say may sound similar to what i said in the other PR vs DR thread , but here i go . To PRs as soon as you mention Dominicans they percieve themselves to be better then us . I hate when people say that this isnt true . I bet this guy knows nothing about DR and look at what he has already come up with .he doesnt know we have the largest economy in the caribean and is growing faster than thiers.They think that becuase people are dying to get overthere that they live that much better than us . They fail to understand that only the lowest of the lowest of classes get on those boats and that the situation is a little exaggerated(Dominicans have a tendency of doing so) .However, people those boards are pretty well rounded ,so im sure someone corrected him and if not it just shows you how far the ignorance goes.

yeah, you are right mi cuate but also you forget to say one of the best one in latin america.

I desagree with you when you compare with caribbean countries rather than latin countries. remember the only caribbean country close to us is cuba. the rest is puerto rico which is far away from our culture and others african caribbean countries.

to nalow,
nalow I thought you were smater, how you can compare quisqueya economy with puelto jico. there is no economy in puelto jico. only independent countries compete in industries. do you know how much it costs to USA to support PR a year . million and billions. do you know how many time USA offer PR their freedom. 99.9999999 % PR say no. do you know that USA take PR to be close to cuba during the cold war with rusia.

PR way of live, no agriculture land and exportation due to bad soil, no industries to export products. very small island to compare to DR. the PR source to work in supermaket, shoes stores and some USA goverment agencies in PR.

DR, one of the greater agriculture exporter from latin america, big industries for exportation, strong in turismo and business market and big gold miners. DR is a rich country if no ask trujillo about it.

do you that puelto rijo was worse than haiti before the USA start to child them. do you know that you were the first people to come to DR in yolas to cut sugarcane before the haitians. the PR cannot support themselves as the haitians. however even if they want, they cant because it is a dead country as haity is.

give me a break, I never hear that chopo and naco drug dealer from new york, and peloteros with money were middle or high class in DR. they are consider chopo class as el cocolo sammy sosa, el haitiano pedro martinez, and the mandinga drug dealer " the puro neto black dominican bring by spain to DR" from villa mella. maybe in your pure and miseble society

the middle and high class from DR are the people before and after el jefe trujillo and the educated people with money or a possition in our society such lo vicini, peynado, lama, piantini, lo bermudez, etcc .etcccccc.

the only people that migrated to PR in yolas is the pure people and miseble black people in DR. as the immigration of haitians increasing in DR, more people taking yolas to PR as it as simple as it is. you have to be investor or estimator person.

since the black DR migrate to PR and new york , people think these are DR people, bunch of uneducated and nasty black people.

hopefuly, the traditional people stay in DR and las pulgas y sarnozos lieve from DR.

is everybody here foreigners rather than dominican in this forum? I know my history.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
C'mon stop blaming everything on the black & mulatto dominicans..

guaroa said:
yeah, you are right mi cuate but also you forget to say one of the best one in latin america.

I desagree with you when you compare with caribbean countries rather than latin countries. remember the only caribbean country close to us is cuba. the rest is puerto rico which is far away from our culture and others african caribbean countries.

hUH???? i DONT GET IT.. Not compare RD with other caribbean countries? Why not? Oh, I forgot DR is part of Latin America and can't be compared with the rest of the Caribenos... Have you been to any other carib countries? Why are u mixing culture with simple economics..hmmm..smell like your being bias of other caribbean cultures...
to nalow,
nalow I thought you were smater, how you can compare quisqueya economy with puelto jico. there is no economy in puelto jico. only independent countries compete in industries. do you know how much it costs to USA to support PR a year . million and billions. do you know how many time USA offer PR their freedom. 99.9999999 % PR say no. do you know that USA take PR to be close to cuba during the cold war with rusia.

If DR economy was better than PR than the yola crossing along the Mona Passage would end..its not hard to see that dominicans are going to PR because the economy is better than DR..and they can also benefit off Puerto Ricans luxury of being a commonwealth.

PR way of live, no agriculture land and exportation due to bad soil, no industries to export products. very small island to compare to DR. the PR source to work in supermaket, shoes stores and some USA goverment agencies in PR.

So why are dominicans risking their lives to get to this non-productive island you speak about(PR).

DR, one of the greater agriculture exporter from latin america, big industries for exportation, strong in turismo and business market and big gold miners. DR is a rich country if no ask trujillo about it.

Trujillo would've told you that he wish he was mestizo like other Latin american countries but had to settle for being a mulatto...

do you that puelto rijo was worse than haiti before the USA start to child them. do you know that you were the first people to come to DR in yolas to cut sugarcane before the haitians. the PR cannot support themselves as the haitians. however even if they want, they cant because it is a dead country as haity is.

Yes, PR was far far worse than Haiti and at one time dominicans came to work in the cafes in haiti because the economy was better than DR...its just a matter of people(poor mass) looking to better their future...

give me a break, I never hear that chopo and naco drug dealer from new york, and peloteros with money were middle or high class in DR. they are consider chopo class as el cocolo sammy sosa, el haitiano pedro martinez, and the mandinga drug dealer " the puro neto black dominican bring by spain to DR" from villa mella. maybe in your pure and miseble society

It appears you have a problem with darker skin dominicans making a better living for themselves and buying homes in Piantini and bringing the whole Benito Gonzalez crew along with them...

the only people that migrated to PR in yolas is the pure people and miseble black people in DR. as the immigration of haitians increasing in DR, more people taking yolas to PR as it as simple as it is. you have to be investor or estimator person.

C'mon stop using Haiti as a scapegoat for taking yola to PR...that doesn't have anything to do with it...so you're are telling me that the lighter domincians never get on yolas...Please!!! EVen teachers and professionals are taking yolas to PR...well, at least the can afford to pay for a reliable spot on the yola...

since the black DR migrate to PR and new york , people think these are DR people, bunch of uneducated and nasty black people.

Sounds like you hate your own black mulatto dominicans...have you been to Washington Heights or N/ Newark..you'll alot of poor uneducated lighterskin dominicans trying to better their lives as well..

hopefuly, the traditional people stay in DR and las pulgas y sarnozos lieve from DR.

is everybody here foreigners rather than dominican in this forum? I know my history.

Well, its appears that you envy P-Ricans and their common wealth status but if it wasn't for PR domincans would've never been to US shores so easily....Damn, PRicans are lucky and enjoying the status but don't make it seem that DR is better than PR economically...get serious...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Don't mean to sound rude...

Maybe they are jelous that we are starting to make it on our own. Or maybe they are jelous at our fabulous tourist industry (the largest in the Caribbean). After all, Punta Cana has more hotel rooms than PR has as a total and Punta Cana occupancy rates are slightly higher than PR.

But as a person who has travelled to both PR and the DR, one of the reasons tourism is booming in the DR is the prostitution, plain and simple. Let's have a single guy go to PR and try to hook up. It is just like New York City-pretty girls, snotty attitudes and absolutely no action.

The DR is known for its sex tourism and this is the reason alot of guys from Canada, Italy and Germany go there ALL OF THE TIME. Whenever I go to the DR and strike up a conversation with a foriegner who speaks a little english or spanish, I hear the same stories. They all come back(or at least try to) more than once or twice a year. For what? The sun? The sun shines on everybody wherever you go-why the DR? For the WOMEN!!!!

The DR happens to be the closest place for all of these travellers to go and get what they want. This is PARTLY the reason why the boom in tourism is better in the DR than PR.

And I'll tell you this just so that you do not think I am biased- when I first went to the DR I vowed NEVER to go back to PR. Why? Where else can you get a room at a non-all inclusive hotel on the beach for $45 US a night? Try that in PR, brother-you'll get a hammock and a mosquito net for that price if you are lucky.

And these so-called low class dominicans that hop on those yollas to get to PR-they would not do so if they were'nt starving to death in their own country. You may be a proud dominican, I don't know, but the DR does a miserable job of taking care of its poor people to let this go on. How proud can you possibly be to legalize prostitution and let your country run the biggest brothel in the Carribean?

If there is another AIDS scare in the DR anytime soon we will see how fast tourism will dry up. And let me tell you, brother-it is only a matter of TIME before this happens.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
And these so-called low class dominicans that hop on those yollas to get to PR-they would not do so if they were'nt starving to death in their own country. You may be a proud dominican, I don't know, but the DR does a miserable job of taking care of its poor people to let this go on. How proud can you possibly be to legalize prostitution and let your country run the biggest brothel in the Carribean?
Most of those taking a yola to PR are not really starving to death. They may be crunched economically, but starving???

Many poor folks who live in slums have family members who live in the countryside as well. Guess what, these countryside people have farms where they grow much of what they eat in a year. Starving? Please.

Sure, there might be one or two starving, but I have not seen any kids or grown up who looks like those bony figures that you see on pictures of the holocaust or modern Africa!

Most of these guys who go to PR on yola are people who have been blinded by Hollywood movies and flasified stories of NYC streets being paved with gold and everybody is rich in the US without doing much work, etc.

They are searching for "El Dorado". If most of those Dominicans would have known that opportunities abound right here in Quisquella, if they would have seen the opportunities that are staring at them in their own faces, they would not have taken a yola and risked their life! But, Hollywood keeps showing us movies where NYC appears to be only the nice areas of Manhattan and areas like the South Bronx or Harlem don't exist.

Let me tell you, there are more than enough prosperous areas in the DR to make the country seem really rich if people truly wanted to. All we have to do is show only the nice areas and ignore the slums. Unfortunately, what the media does is ignores the nice areas and only shows the slums!

Reality is what people perceive it to be, thus the power of image!

And, yes the sex trade is rather large in the DR, but remember, around 90% of tourist who come to this country visit All-Inclusives and they don't leave the resort! In short, Sex tourism may be big business, but it doesn't dominate the entire tourist sector. Sure, some towns get their bread and butter from it, but not the entire country.

There is more that attract people to this country, even the men coming after the women. Afterall, if hookers is what American and Canadian men want, they can head to the state of Nevada where prostitution is legal in most counties and Europeans can head to Germany or Netherland where prostitution is also legal. Closer to their homes and yet, they prefer to fly around the globe to the DR. Trust me, its more than the girls that is attracting these men and they make up a large portion of the tourist, but they are not the majority of the tourists.

Of course, all the non-Dominicans who envy the DR for our success in the tourist trade always point to such wishful thinking. They always try to give the impression that the DR success is due to no real effort of Dominicans but pure luck. Of course, that is all bull, because hard work is what it took to get our butts off the ground from the moment Trujillo was assasinated on Autopista 30 de Mayo up to this day!

guaroa

*** Sin Bin ***
Dec 13, 2004
Quisqueya said:

Well, its appears that you envy P-Ricans and their common wealth status but if it wasn't for PR domincans would've never been to US shores so easily....Damn, PRicans are lucky and enjoying the status but don't make it seem that DR is better than PR economically...get serious...

hi guey, quisqueya , I am glad that you like our name by using but remember it does represent a lot to us back to cave time.

I dont think so that DR has to appreciate something from puelto jico. maybe the sankipanki haitianos in DR that take the yolas to PR and black and mulato that live in new york. some of them might get married to PR and get their paper but they also might do with other nationality. dont generalized. remember that these black people represent small percent in DR compare to cibao, the capital and other town in DR.

it is so clear that our competion is mexico, venezuela and argentina from in latin america. do you know the resources from DR compare to PR.

1 . there is no economy in PR due that USA give all.
2. tell PR industries in exportation , agriculture , gold miners etc , etc.
3. do you that pR is a dead land as yours before and now.
4. do you know what economy mean and PR as dependent of USA. I leave this as homework. PR is a child and baby country where you have to support it. but in this case, you stop support the child as soon as he grows up. with PR, this seems that this will never happen. this what you call economy, dont make me laugh ja ja. do this remind you a country to you. I leave it as HW.

yeah, in PR everybody " poor people " has the opportinity to eat and clothes as USA compare to DR. but who is the father and who is the virus. it is wellfare system compare to DR.

as develop and beautiful country DR is more beatiful. if not who is have the strong turism and history. we are the door to the discovery of america as all hispanos.

do know what happen to PR if USA lieve them alone now. who might be the POOrest countries in america haity or puelto jico. as homework for you.

guaroa

*** Sin Bin ***
Dec 13, 2004
who was the first to cut sugarcane in DR as yoleros before hai. let me guess PR, easy

Quisqueya said:

hi guey, quisqueya , I am glad that you like our name by using but remember it does represent a lot to us back to cave time.

I dont think so that DR has to appreciate something from puelto jico. maybe the sankipanki haitianos in DR that take the yolas to PR and black and mulato that live in new york. some of them might get married to PR and get their paper but they also might do with other nationality. dont generalized. remember that these black people represent small percent in DR compare to cibao, the capital and other town in DR.

it is so clear that our competion is mexico, venezuela and argentina from in latin america. do you know the resources from DR compare to PR.

4. do you know what economy mean and PR as dependent of USA. I leave this as homework. PR is a child and baby country where you have to support it. but in this case, you stop support the child as soon as he grows up. with PR, this seems that this will never happen. this what you call economy, dont make me laugh ja ja. do this remind you a country to you. I leave it as HW.

yeah, in PR everybody " poor people " has the opportinity to eat and clothes as USA compare to DR. but who is the father and who is the virus. it is wellfare system compare to DR.

as develop and beautiful country DR is more beatiful. if not who is have the strong turism and history. we are the door to the discovery of america as all hispanos.

do know what happen to PR if USA lieve them alone now. who might be the POOrest countries in america haity or puelto jico. as homework for you.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
If this debate is about whether the Dominican middle class was created with drug money it better steer in that direction now. I will not allow gratuitous PR bashing (or of any nationality here).

You have been warned.

Pib

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It is a bit unfair to compare the big greater antilles island nations with the real Caribbean, meaning the lesser antilles.

Everybody knows that the stereotype of the Caribbean only survives in those postage size islands that stretch from the Virgin islands down to Trinidad and Tobago.

When people talk of the greater antilles, they are talking about real countries, the exception being PR simply based on the political situation.

Also, comparing the DR to PR is not good since PR is not a real country, but if PR's are comparing us to them then let's return them the favor.

Everybody knows that PR has no agriculture to speak of. PR lacks every single type of raw material as well. They have nothing for mining, no good arable land, no space anymore since they are really crowded. Lucky is that person who can see long distance in Puerto Rico without seeing a building poping up somewhere.

Yes, the DR is a rich country. The problem is that the wealth created here, much of it leaves our country to make some other country richer. Of course, things are changing, thus the DR is becoming wealthier every decade since Trujillo died.

And yes, Trujillo knew of the economic potential of the DR. That's why he took over everything and by the time he was killed, he was the second richest person in the world with well over a BILLION DOLLARS!

When it comes to wealth, Trujillo puts all other Latin dictators to shame with his Billions! I just wish he would have placed that money in Dominican banks rather than Swiss Bank accounts. Now, nobody knows where those billions went. I'll tell you, the same place the Jews money went, to Swiss vaults!

This reminds me, we need to start asking the Swiss to give us our money back. Yes, I know those Billions (which by now must be Trillions with all that compound interest from the 1960s to today) was Trujillo, but everything that belonged to Trujillo became government property. As such, the DR should get the cash too!

We can pay our debt, send the IMF to hell with their mercantilist policies, and put food in every poor Dominican mouth and then some to shut all those critics about Dominican culture and country!

Yes, I know that. Puerto Rico was the poorest place in the Hemisphere. They actually remained poor up until the 1960s when the US started to be more humane with the Puerto Ricans.

Before that, it was illegal in Puerto Rico for Puerto Ricans to learn Spanish in schools, it was illegal for Puerto Ricans to raise the Puerto Rican flag, segregation between the different races who previously were united was imposed upon the Puerto Rican people and the Puerto Ricans were constantly looked upon as worthless barbarians who needed to be tamed and civilized by the hand of white Anglo-American power. Of course, all of this ended around the 1960s and 1970s, but time may have caused those wounds to heal, but they have not dissapeared, despite many PR's acting as if they have always been treated nice by Americans in general.

PR's are lucky they still have some Latin culture in themselves. Then again, the Spaniards were not nicer before the Americans and before that, oh wait, PR has never been indepedent!

No wonder Latin Americans get so feuled up when PR's begin to talk down to other Hispanics! No wonder!

the middle and high class from DR are the people before and after el jefe trujillo and the educated people with money or a possition in our society such lo vicini, peynado, lama, piantini, lo bermudez, etcc .etcccccc.
Everybody knows that.

Everybody knows this too. The thing is that as soon that the DR tries to make the lives of poor Dominicans better by repatriating illegal Haitian immigrants who are taking jobs that would have gone to unemployed Dominicans, then the many NGO organization come and jump on the throat of the DR government.

Then the same NGO groups want the DR government to stop the yola migrations to PR! Well, which one is it? Are they for the poor Dominican or for the poor Haitians? It's ok to be for both, but in each country! Dominicans need to take care of Dominicans and when we get rid of our own problems, then we can take care of Haitian. But until then, Haitians must take care of themselves in the land their anscestors secured for them by spilling their blood there.

Not all Dominicans who migrated to NYC and PR are black Dominicans, but a good number of them are. There are many Haitians who have gained Dominican citizenship as well.

The reason people see the DR as a black country and not multi-racial is because the media only points out the Dominican connections with the darker skin Dominicans and they never do that with lighter skin Dominicans who have become well known around the world.

Everybody knows Sammy Sosa is from the DR, many people are surprised when they hear that Oscar de La Renta and Sully Bonelly are from the DR too. In fact, many wealthier Dominicans (who tend to be white) who are attending colleges in the US are sick and tired of the many eyebrows that are raised when they say they are Dominican. People are surprised to see that there are white people here. I bet, people will not believe the many Asian Dominicans that live here, or the Middle Eastern Dominicans, etc.

This world is filled with ignorant notions of the DR and the ones at fault is our own selves. If we want the world to see us in the way we are, a multi-cultural multi-racial country, then we must portray that image by building big media companies that broadcast our ideals, our culture, our people, and our beautiful country to as many television and radio sets around the globe as possible. Until then, foreigners will impose on us the image they want to impose on us, whether its correct or not!

Most people here are foreigners who live right here in the DR (most are in Puerto Plata, a few are in the East and SDQ).

Other folks are Dominicans who live in the US and elsewhere and people from other countries and a very few number of Dominicans who live in the DR are represented in this board as of right now. As more Dominicans hear about this site, this will begin to change.

I am Dominican, live in DR, own businesses in the DR, and plan to die here too, unless war breaks out, but that is very unlikely.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
guaroa said:

For some bizzare reason, I find this halarious! :laugh:

guaroa

*** Sin Bin ***
Dec 13, 2004
Pib said:
If this debate is about whether the Dominican middle class was created with drug money it better steer in that direction now. I will not allow gratuitous PR bashing (or of any nationality here).

You have been warned.

Pib

you are right pib but rememer it does refer to the article posted by nalowhs.

guaroa

*** Sin Bin ***
Dec 13, 2004
high and middle class " oscar de la renta and juan luis guerra"

Nal0whs said:
For some bizzare reason, I find this halarious! :laugh:

yes nalowhs, I hope so,

to pib

if it is DR high and middle class, quisqueyano know who they are peynado, vicini, lama, piantini, bermudez, e leon jimenez, los mapega pezoca, etcccc and professional people with money .

as humilde person from el cacique, I know the people that are part of our society. so who I try to teach ? let me guess DR foreigners.

I never consider a drug dealer , chopo or naco pelotero and dominican york as middle or high class. we call it drug dealer gentes sucia, chopos pelotero de barrio. this topic doesnt make sence to me since it is clear who are the middle and high class in DR or are the two DR people here teaching all foreigners from dr forum.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Before This Ignorant Rant Gets Closed,Let Me Add To The Ignorance by saying:

What a buch of crap posted by a bunch of "DUMBminicans!!!
The "GNP" of the DR is about $2000 US,"On a Good Drug Day"!
"2 or 3 Million "MIDDLE CLASS DUMBMINICANS"????????? I kinda phucking doubt it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How many Puerto Ricans drowned on the way to the DR this year???????? ;)
Now I wish more than anyone that Puerto Rico had never been made a "Commonwealth" of the US!Then we could keep them out TOO!

We,The US, can't afford another island load of Welfare Cheats,so don't get your hopes up to high. :cry:

"Yola leaving on track 2,"All Aboard"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Hahahahahah

NOW that was hilarious but so so damn true...

Could Haiti get on track 3...At least we have good work ethics....

I guess not...

On a serious not alone in NY/NJ area dominicans are milking the welfare system well dry...if DR would but we know never will happen..US would go bankrupt......

Another thing is that dominicans and other hispanics should be greatful and thankful that Puerto Ricans have open up the door to the land of opportunity... Rather you guys make fun of their accent and call them "un pais sin bandera"...Very ungreatful....

Criss Colon said:
"2 or 3 Million "MIDDLE CLASS DUMBMINICANS"????????? I kinda phucking doubt it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now I wish more than anyone that Puerto Rico had never been made a "Commonwealth" of the US!Then we could keep them out TOO!

We,The US, can't afford another island load of Welfare Cheats,so don't get your hopes up to high. :cry:

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
hahahahahah
Quisqueya said:
NOW that was hilarious but so so damn true...

Could Haiti get on track 3...At least we have good work ethics....

I guess not...

On a serious not alone in NY/NJ area dominicans are milking the welfare system well dry...if DR would become a Commonwealth but we know never will happen..US would go bankrupt......

Another thing is that dominicans and other hispanics should be greatful and thankful that Puerto Ricans have open up the door to the land of opportunity... Rather you guys make fun of their accent and call them "un pais sin bandera"...Very ungreatful....

guaroa

*** Sin Bin ***
Dec 13, 2004
el chopo aunque se vista de ceda, naco se queda guey

Criss Colon said:

hi, criss colon tell me what is the common wealth from PR. tell me those name s from that business men and tell me the name of company.

tell me the business of puerto rico and companies making that worth in PR or puelto jico. tell me the economy participation in latin americas powers. I never hear it. if so , you PR change the name from dependent country of USA to PR economy competion in market. if I am right only independent coutry has economy or are you refering to USA economy. remember if the person or source die , the virus die too this rule is from biology.

to quisqueya
what you mean by us that include haitianos too. it is not better to use the name bojicua rather than quisqueya. are you ashame where are you from.

do you mean USA is a land of opportinities. should you be thanked to us for giving works to work in sugarcane or to the PR.

tell me when the DR went to collect cafe to haiti, or you mean the cocolo , sankipanki haitianos and the bunch of hatianos born here without papers en los bateyes.

dont forget we are the land that conolized all hispanos lans in central, south america. we are the first capital of all of these countries. that doesnt tell yuo something. DR collecting cafe in haiti uhhhhhhhhhhhhh uhhhhhhhhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.