Why do so many Dominicans in the US never learn English

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Have A "NEW" Idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about all the "Latinos" learn to "SPEAKO ENGLISHO"???????????????????
Then there would be no "shortage" of translators,or signage in ESPANISHOOO!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

That said!!!
I moved here 9 years ago.I LEARNED TO SPEAK DOMINICAN!!!
I don't expect that all the signs here be in ENGLISH. (good thing Eh??!)
I don't expect Dominicans to provide me an "SSL" course!
I don't expect a translator/Native English speaker in every public office for my convenience!
Why should "LATINOS" anywhere else!!

"GIVE ME A FRIGGIN REST!"

Last edited:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Criss
I don't disagree with you especially when we are talking about the younger generation of Latinos/Dominicans in the area. Many are already learning English because they have to. However, try telling that to a 70 year old woman/man dying of diabeter/cancer who pulls their 7-10 y.o. grandchild out of school to go spend a day at the doctors as a translator. Have a heart dude! This is really what we are talking about. I was there. I was one of those kids, so I know.
Peace

Criss Colon said:
How about all the "Latinos" learn to "SPEAKO ENGLISHO"???????????????????
Then there would be no "shortage" of translators,or signage in ESPANISHOOO!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
CC is 100% right!!!

deelt said:
I was there. I was one of those kids, so I know.
Peace

Deelt, I was there too. I was one of those 12 year old kids who did not speak 1 word of English. You know what I did? I learned the darn language.

You know what? The MOST important step these kids can take is to learn English...and learn it well! If you want to speak Spanish, or Spanglish....go ahead. Just make sure that English is your best language. That's where you live, man.

We need Latino "community leaders" willling to promulgate this point of view. Let's stop this bi-lingual crap here in the US. Learn the language. Learn a skill. Defend yourself. Stop asking others for a hand-out. Don't expect the "white man" to give a rat's behind about you....pull yourself up!!!!

How long will this defeatist, self-deprecating, "we are victims" attitude persist? Enough already.

PS Sorry for the rant. I've been meaning to do this for a while...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Mondongo" for Congress!

When the "Irish" came to Boston,they already spoke "English",which gave them a "Jump" on the "Italians"! Those first generation "Italian Americans" all learned "English right away.Their parents knew that you had to speak English to get ahead!Even though they all(Italians) lived in the same neighborhood(The "North End") and could have never learned to speak English,they DID IT!!
I have been in an apartment in "The Heights" where about 20 people lived."Dominicanas",and their American born children.There were 4 or 5 "Mami"s, and 15 or so kids.Some "school age" ,some pre-school,and some "babies".Not a "Husband" to be seen!Point is,no one spoke ant english! Not even the "American born" school kids! This "ESL" is a "Curse" forced upon these people by a teachers union looking for more power in the sxchool system.Many "Lations",and other ethnic groups send their kids to school for 12 years,aand they still are functually illiterate in english!!
I have a pretty good job here in Santo Domingo,why,because I can speak,read,and write Spanish!When I lived in Thailand,I went to school and learned to speak enough "Thai" to survive in that country.(Reading and Writing is another story!)A country where almost no one but Thais can speak their language.Same thing in Vietnam.The biggest compliment you can pay a Country & People where you are residing is to learn their native language! It is an insult to live in a foreign country and not learn the language.Want them to think you are an "Englishman" or something???Many countries are less aggresive than Americans about this.I think it is because so many of American's ancestors came without english,and learned the language.A kind of,"My Grandparents learned english,why can't you???"Want to be accepted by "Americans"? Learn the language,"WE" just love it too, when a "foreigner" speaks "Good English"! It may or may not be true,but we see the person as someone who came to better their life,not someone who came to get a "handout"!cccccccccccccccccccc

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
I think there is a tendency to confuse ESL with bilingual education. ESL is simply teaching English to people who don't speak it. ESL usually uses English only in its teaching. You don't have to be bilingual to teach ESL, most teachers aren't. What CC is referring to is to bilingual ed. which uses the student's native language to teach other subjects while the student learns English. I heard some students are not enrolled in English classes until some time has gone by. I am not familiar enough with it, but I am familiar with ESL. All inmigrants to the US took English classes. It's just that today those classes for non-English speaking persons are called English as a Second Language, simply because those people already speak another language as their mother tongue. If you are learning Spanish in the DR and you are monolingual, then you are taking Spanish as a second language. If you are already fluent in English an French, for example, then Spanish would be your third language. In your case you would be learning Spanish as a third language. Get my point?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
JC, you are correct (and as an ex-EFL teacher, I should have caught my own mistake ! cringe! ). I meant to say that a separate thread should be spun off to discuss the issue of whether or not Dominicans living in the US should learn English rather than constantly seek out programs and services in Spanish....

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Mondongo and CC
Please READ what I say.
The younger generation < 40 will learn English. That's not the problem.
The average age of a dominican in the US is about 26-27 y.o. This group will learn at least a working knowledge of English, with a minor retention of an accent at most. CC with that family you saw I would question how long they have lived in the US. Kids <14 y.o. pick up English within a year or two. Their brain is like a sponge. There is minor language isolation in the Heights. You can look it up in the Census data. This means that most kids under the age of 14 are exposed to and speak TWO language in the household.

It's the OLDER generation 55+ y.o. that will find it difficult to learn the language at all. This is the demographic I am most concerned about that will need translation services.

To agree with Keith the issue of this thread is addressing ACUTE healthcare needs. We can't turn some one away when they are DYING and tell them "Come back after you have taken ESL." Healtcare service provisions must be effective not politically correct. This is especially true in this age of terrorism and bio-warfare.

PEACE

mondongo said:
Deelt, I was there too. I was one of those 12 year old kids who did not speak 1 word of English. You know what I did? I learned the darn language.

You know what? The MOST important step these kids can take is to learn English...and learn it well! If you want to speak Spanish, or Spanglish....go ahead. Just make sure that English is your best language. That's where you live, man.

We need Latino "community leaders" willling to promulgate this point of view. Let's stop this bi-lingual crap here in the US. Learn the language. Learn a skill. Defend yourself. Stop asking others for a hand-out. Don't expect the "white man" to give a rat's behind about you....pull yourself up!!!!

How long will this defeatist, self-deprecating, "we are victims" attitude persist? Enough already.

PS Sorry for the rant. I've been meaning to do this for a while...

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
Deelt and Criss your are absolutely correct.

We should learn the language of our knew homeland. There is no excuse as to why a 15yr does'nt know English. It is essential for an immigrant to learn the language. Not only out of respect but, to survive. You won't get the American Dream by "I don speeke Ingle" your way here. I can't blame the older ones. Like Deelt said, >40 those arriving now and those that have been here for a many years. It must be understood that it is hard to learn a new language the older you get (I know Criss knows this). If you are young it should be the first thing on your agenda and a if you are old at least give it a try, you won't regret it.

Another point is that the new immigrants from today are different form those European immigrants in the past. The new ones-especially Dominicans- don't want to lose their heritage. The ones in the past embraced their new homeland and purposely forgot their old one. That is why many of them and their children don't know even their own language. What survived unquestionably is the food. As soon as they got off the boat they said "English only." Dominicans today love their new homeland but, wont forget their motherland. We try to bring them together.

As for healthcare, it is a shame this is happening. If healthcare is not offered at your job or it is too expensive, there are other sources. The state offers a variety of programs for its residents. You can be eliglible even if your income is on the higher end of the scale. I personally know that these programs are highly advertised. For example Child Health Plus. It's all over the media. They even have a van that goes around neighborhoods trying to enroll people. All this happens a far out as Suffolk county. I don't know if its the report but, something is definately wrong.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This happens in immigrant groups in many places. In the UK the first generation of immigrants from the Indian sub-continent learned little or no English, especially the women who are less likely to mix with English speakers. The children of course attend school and learn English.

A journalist I know made a radio documentary about this situation among Dominican immigrants in the US. She portrayed the role of children of immigrants as interpreters for their parents, e.g. at parent-teacher meetings where the child uses the situation to his/her advantage.

Is it that for much of the first generation, the move to the US was not intended to be permanent, although it often ends up being that way?

The immigrant's idea is to save money for retirement back home in the DR, and so there is not the same motivation to learn English compared to other immigrant groups who arrived with no intention of returning to their native country. That combined with the tendency to live and work in closed Spanish speaking communities means that adult immigrants have to go out of their way to learn English.

My next door neighbours in the UK were from Jamaica. They'd arrived in the country in the 50s or 60s. I lived next door to them for about 8 years, and every year they said that this was the year they were finally going to return to Jamaica, buy a house and retire there. Every year something else stopped them: money, another grandchild on the way, health reasons... For all I know they're still there. I imagine it's the same for many Dominicans in the US.

I once visited Dominican friends in NYC and was taken aback by the husband's lack of English. He had lived there for 15 years, having moved there in his 30s. His wife, who is much younger, spoke fluent English, as did their children. It's a lot like expats here who never learn any or much Spanish: you can get by without it if you live in an expat community and don't work in a Dominican workplace.

I can understand why this happens, but I can't relate to it. I guess I'm just too curious! I can't imagine living in a place and not being able to understand most of what goes on.

I come from a family that has immigrated and emigrated criss-cross the globe, picking up a range of languages on the way. My mother's grandfather emigrated from Morocco to Venezuela in the 1890s. Family lore is that he taught himself Spanish and to read and write the Latin alphabet on the sea voyage across the Atlantic.

BTW, I agree that this thread ought to be split, this is not the debate intended by the OP.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
So how do we split it?

Chirimoya said:
This happens in immigrant groups in many places. In the UK the first generation of immigrants from the Indian sub-continent learned little or no English, especially the women who are less likely to mix with English speakers. The children of course attend school and learn English.

A journalist I know made a radio documentary about this situation among Dominican immigrants in the US. She portrayed the role of children of immigrants as interpreters for their parents, e.g. at parent-teacher meetings where the child uses the situation to his/her advantage.

Is it that for much of the first generation, the move to the US was not intended to be permanent, although it often ends up being that way?

The immigrant's idea is to save money for retirement back home in the DR, and so there is not the same motivation to learn English compared to other immigrant groups who arrived with no intention of returning to their native country. That combined with the tendency to live and work in closed Spanish speaking communities means that adult immigrants have to go out of their way to learn English.

My next door neighbours in the UK were from Jamaica. They'd arrived in the country in the 50s or 60s. I lived next door to them for about 8 years, and every year they said that this was the year they were finally going to return to Jamaica, buy a house and retire there. Every year something else stopped them: money, another grandchild on the way, health reasons... For all I know they're still there. I imagine it's the same for many Dominicans in the US.

I once visited Dominican friends in NYC and was taken aback by the husband's lack of English. He had lived there for 15 years, having moved there in his 30s. His wife, who is much younger, spoke fluent English, as did their children. It's a lot like expats here who never learn any or much Spanish: you can get by without it if you live in an expat community and don't work in a Dominican workplace.

I can understand why this happens, but I can't relate to it. I guess I'm just too curious! I can't imagine living in a place and not being able to understand most of what goes on.

I come from a family that has immigrated and emigrated criss-cross the globe, picking up a range of languages on the way. My mother's grandfather emigrated from Morocco to Venezuela in the 1890s. Family lore is that he taught himself Spanish and to read and write the Latin alphabet on the sea voyage across the Atlantic.

BTW, I agree that this thread ought to be split, this is not the debate intended by the OP.

This a much debated subject especially here in NYC and a facinating subject that of course will attract many posters.
How does the tread get split off? Does the moderator do it? If so, let the debate begin.

JOHN

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Robert has split the thread at my request.

I suggested the title. Apologies if it offends anyone.

On second thoughts I wonder if it should be more neutral, something like:
"Immigrants, expats and language learning".

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Actually, I was wondering if anyone on the Board has experience with Dominican populations living in places other than the US. For example, do those in Montreal, France, Belgium, Switzerland all learn French and not try to just limp by with broken Spanish? In Italy, do they try to just get by with the Spanish (since it's similar), or actually learn Italian? And so.... in other words, is this something that happens mostly in the US, perhaps because there are so many services (education, health, public offices, utilities) offering help in Spanish?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Almost all the Dominicans I know in England speak English really well. The one who doesn't speak fairly speaks it fairly well. Much better than my friend in NYC I mentioned earlier, that's for sure.

This could be a combination of the fact that these Dominicans are mostly higher up the socio-economic and educational scale than the average immigrant, and the fact that they are not in the same sort of Dominican or Latino communities you find in the US. The numbers I am basing this on (about 5 or 6 people) are so small as to be completely insignificant statistically. I see what you're getting at, though, Keith. There has to be a connection with the community the immigrant is living in. If there aren't that many Spanish speakers around the immigrant will learn English out of necessity.

What about Spain, then? ;)

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I work in ESL. I learned Spanish in the DR as a kid. It took me months before I had learned enough to actually have a conversation. My teachers expected me to do math and science before I knew Spanish. I aced all the English classes. I was expected to write the lessons as they were dictated in Spanish - even though I didn't understand them. It wasn't until the last month of school that I actually was asked to memorize a specific paragraph to recite to the class. Everyone else had to memorize the whole chapter, and be able to recite any paragraph requested.
Now, switch to English. Try to ask a kid to write down what they hear in English. The word 'spelling' comes to mind. The math even becomes a bit illogical when we talk about measurements, but the numbers are the same. And the periodic table can be memorized as well as the formulas. In elementary school, we don't teach any foreign language in our area.
Age and education influences the ability a person has to learn apparently , so if you are young and have been in school, you have the best chance to learn the 2nd or 3rd language.
I see the use for bilingual education so kids can continue to increase their knowledge while building their English.
The parents, on the other hand, have disadvantages. They have age, and maybe education that influence their ability to learn the new language. Then their is exposure.
We expect people to be 100% integrated into society that has little tolerance. I have students, eager to learn English, telling me how they can walk in to a store, and have the security guard following them, and little ladies covering their purses. The minute they open their mouths, or when people see the color of their skin, bam, prejudice. And I've heard this from a 65 year old man, and a 25 year old man in ESL classes. I watch the 16 year old Chinese kid with learning disabilities becoming more proficient every day. In five years, he will be awesome. Then there is the little 50 year old lady with a 4th grade education. The English is just not sticking. Some schools charge tuition for the classes.
I have a college education. Learned the basics of 2 new languages by the age of 16, and started learning 2 new languages in my 40's. There is a big difference in how my brain works now. And I give all the credit to what I learned before I started college.
It is of the utmost importance to learn the language where you live.
Depending on your age, education, and economic situation, it can take a generation.
My dos cheles, adjusted for inflation ...
mkohn

Petaka

Nov 8, 2002
Que lo que pasa'qui

It?s a first generation thing. Dominicans are always thinking of going back to the DR to buy a house and live there or already bough a house and dream of going back while living miserably in the Heights. So why learn any other language?

Even the ones that hang around here are always talking of moving back and seem to be more involved in Dominican politics than in US issues which is the reason why they don?t have much political power. Most first generation Dominicans (except moi) no estan ni aqui ni alla.
The US born Dominicans I know do not think that way and some of them have never been or are interested in going to the DR.

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Returning to the DR

So why bother leaving the DR in the first place. I have met many of these first generation Dominicans. If they return they will face exactly the same problems that they left in the first place. Unemployment, familiy members who have their hands out. Lack of decent medical care. Corrupt officials etc.

When one as an adult decides to leave then they have to start to take some responsiblilty for their actions. I have never ever seen any Dominican carrying a dictionary so that when they encounter some English word that they do not know they can look it up. This is how I learned Spanish.

They just cannot do what it takes. Communication is the basis for sucess in any country

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Petaka said:
It?s a first generation thing. Dominicans are always thinking of going back to the DR to buy a house and live there or already bough a house and dream of going back while living miserably in the Heights. So why learn any other language?

Even the ones that hang around here are always talking of moving back and seem to be more involved in Dominican politics than in US issues which is the reason why they don?t have much political power. Most first generation Dominicans (except moi) no estan ni aqui ni alla.
The US born Dominicans I know do not think that way and some of them have never been or are interested in going to the DR.

Nice to see you posting again, Petaka. :)

You know you're not the only first generation Dominican in the US to speak fluent English, so what do you think was different about your attitude and that of others like you who have learned English? Were you very young when you arrived in the US? Were there any other factors?

Fred said:
So why bother leaving the DR in the first place.
...to earn the money for the DR dream retirement home?

Last edited:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I agree Criss

I don?t think Criss Colon was referring to just Dominicans but to Latinos in general. There has been a fight within many state governments for years as to making English the official language in the USA and it has never happened and never will. For that reason Dominicans and other Latinos will never have to learn English if they don?t want to as the laws of many states say that the government must supply interrupters for those not knowing English and signs in many states must be in Spanish also etc. etc. And this brings up the question as to why this is so? Deelt brought up the case of the 70 year old man or woman who is over extended and needs help. The number of these people is not sufficient enough to mandate an entire state or city to put up signs in both English and Spanish and to have a Spanish interrupter on hand IMHO. While stationed in Germany I learned German well enough to get by and carry on a bit of a conversation and the same is true when I was stationed in Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Turkey and Russia. I felt that even though my country had sent me to those countries and placed me in an environment where I could always speak only English I felt that I had an obligation to learn as much of the language of my host country as possible. The same is true for here in the DR especially since I came here on my own accord so I have learned some Spanish and am still learning. Having said that I can?t understand why people go to live in the USA, be it for a year or more, and don?t make any attempt to learn English. Many years ago, while stationed in Florida, I had a Venezuelan family as close friends. The husband learned and was always learning English and the three daughters went to public school and learned English but the wife would not under any circumstances learn any English and only spoke to her Latino friends. Go figure. I think, by what other posters have said, that the same mindset is in a few or lot of Dominicans in the USA. (when in Rome????.) ;)

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
Keith R said:
Actually, I was wondering if anyone on the Board has experience with Dominican populations living in places other than the US. For example, do those in Montreal, France, Belgium, Switzerland all learn French and not try to just limp by with broken Spanish? In Italy, do they try to just get by with the Spanish (since it's similar), or actually learn Italian? And so.... in other words, is this something that happens mostly in the US, perhaps because there are so many services (education, health, public offices, utilities) offering help in Spanish?

I recently spent 3 weeks in Frankfurt Germany and found a decent size Dominican and Latin population there. After frequenting a few Dominican places in Frankfurt it seemed to me that it was about a 50-50 split. Some spoke great German or were actively trying to learn and the others were just "getting by" by staying within the Latin community there. That is in quite a contrast to the Colombians I met there who were "qua-lingual", speaking Spanish, German, Italian, and English. Just my little observation.

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
visas

i think the US should require that any one seeking a visa, other then a tourist visa, should be able to communicate in english, at least at a 1st grade level, assumeing they are older then 6, and that it should not be imcoumbered upon the citizens of the US to pay for services other then in english. i lived in New York in the 50s when the flaotson of every european country washed up on our shores. I don't remember any speacial programs for them. I think the same should have applied to the PRs and then we would not of had this cockamamy two signs in the subways and court houses. but then it is really needed in the court houses.
joe