What language is spoken in the DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
The language is SPANISH !!!

This is directed to tomgallo who in a different post seemed to take offense at the language of Spanish being called Spanish. I didn't want to highjack the other thread so I thought I would start this one so that I might try to set the record straight.
tomgallo said;

Most "latin" immigrants to the USA are poor and of course with a minimal education. At arrival the 1st priority is "making ends meet" and sometimes having 2-3 jobs to do it. English is a very difficult language to master more difficult than Castillian "the spanish language does not exist - it is castillian"

As to your equivocal statement that the Spanish language doesn?t exist I offer the following quotes to you from people that in fact are more knowledge then you;

From a professor at the School of English, University of Leeds -
(QUOTE)The official language of Spain is indeed Spanish. It is Spanish (abbreviated as 'es' for 'Espa?ol') which represents Spain at the EU (http://europa.eu.int/). More information is available if you follow the 'Languages' link. The dialect of Spanish which has become the standard variety of Spanish is Castilian.But Spanish is not the ONLY language of Spain, of course. Basque is one of the languages of Spain and it is not related to Spanish at all. A further complexity is that in recent years varieties such as Catalan and Galician, which have at some times been regarded as separate languages, and at others as dialects of Spanish, are currently generally seen as languages in their own right. Catalan and Galician can be seen as dialects of Spanish but most certainly NOT as dialects of Castilian. So Catalan, Galician and Castilian can all be seen as dialects of Spanish, or can be seen as separate languages, which is why some people have taken to calling Standard Spanish 'Castilian'.You may wish to read Clare Mar-Molinero (1997) *The Spanish Speaking World* for an account of this.? [/QUOTE]

Another linguist -
The Castilian dialect began to take distinct form in the late fiftheenth century and since it was the local dialect of the seat of power, Toledo and subsequently Madrid, it became identified as the Spanish of Spain, even though regional forms descended from Latin spoken in the Iberian peninsula were developing to become the current list of official languages of Spain. Similarly, while their are five or six
regional dialects of European Portuguese, the speech of Lisbon and Coimbra became standard at least four hundred years ago?.

Another linguist from Ball State University ?
?The Ethnologue (www.ethnologue.com) lists the official languages of Spain as Spanish, Basque, Galician, Gascon (Aranese), Catalan. Castilian is one of several
dialects of Spanish, and as with any contemporary dialect of any contemporary language, it would be naive to suggest that a particular dialect is the origin or source
of the language. The modern dialects of Spanish all trace themselves back to ultimately to the Late Latin spoken in Spain, which began to be recognizably distinct around the 8th or 9th c?.

From an Assoc. Professor of Anthropology ?
?Spanish is the official language of Spain. So is Castellano. The problem you are encountering, aside from the confusion about language and dialect and the notion that "dialect" means a nonstandard, is that Castellano has two meanings, one of them subsumed within the other. Many Spanish speakers -- even in the New World -- use "castellano" to mean 'Spanish'. So 40 or 50 years ago one could hear people from Latin America, especially middle and upper classes, say they spoke "castellano" even when the dialect was clearly Latin American, derived from Andalusian, not Castillian. It is like the English word 'man/men' which means both 'human being' and 'adult male'. In the former meaning it is perfectly sensible and appropriate for women to say in the Nicene Creed ''for us men and for our salvation". So in the sense in which Castellano means 'Spanish', everybody who speaks Spanish speaks it.
My impression is that this meaning of castellano is fading -- some of the other panelist probably have a closer handle on that than I do?.

And lastly from the department of linguists at the RAE ?
?Para designar la lengua com?n de Espa?a y de muchas naciones de Am?rica, y que tambi?n se habla como propia en otras partes del mundo, son v?lidos los t?rminos castellano y espa?ol. La larga pol?mica sobre cu?l de estas denominaciones resulta m?s apropiada est? hoy superada. El t?rmino espa?ol resulta m?s recomendable por carecer de ambig?edad, ya que se refiere de modo un?voco a la lengua que hablan hoy cerca de cuatrocientos millones de hablantes. Asimismo, es la denominaci?n que se utiliza internacionalmente (spanish, espagnol, Spanish, spagnolo, etc.). Aun siendo tambi?n sin?nimo de espa?ol, resulta preferible reservar el t?rmino castellano para referirse al dialecto rom?nico nacido en el Reino de Castilla durante la Edad Media, o al dialecto del espa?ol que se habla actualmente en esta regi?n peninsular. En Espa?a, se usa asimismo el nombre castellano cuando se alude a la lengua com?n del Estado en relaci?n con las otras lenguas cooficiales en sus respectivos territorios aut?nomos, como el catal?n, el gallego o el euskera.
Reciba un cordial saludo?.

I hope this helps clear your mind on the particular matter.

tomgallo also said;

BY the way "Latin or Latinos" are "White Europeans" or descendants from the following European Countries (Latin countries) :
France/Portugal/Spain/Romania and Italy.
Dominicans with African ancestry and Mexican with Indian ancestry are not LATINS OR LATINOS.

Merriam Webster says ? Latino - 1 : a native or inhabitant of Latin America
2 : a person of Latin-American origin living in the U.S.

Latin - 1 a : of, relating to, or composed in Latin b : ROMANCE
2 : of or relating to Latium or the Latins
3 : of or relating to the part of the Catholic Church that until recently used a Latin rite and forms the patriarchate of the pope
4 : of or relating to the peoples or countries using Romance languages; specifically : of or relating to the peoples or countries of Latin America

Bartleby.com says ? Latino - 1. A Latin American. 2. A person of Hispanic, especially Latin-American, descent, often one living in the United States.

Latin -
NOUN: 1a. The Indo-European language of the ancient Latins and Romans and the most important cultural language of western Europe until the end of the 17th century. b. The Latin language and literature from the end of the third century b.c. to the end of the second century a.d. 2a. A member of a Latin people, especially a native or inhabitant of Latin America. b. A Latino or Latina. 3. A native or resident of ancient Latium.
ADJECTIVE: 1. Of, relating to, or composed in Latin: a Latin scholar; Latin verse.2a. Of or relating to ancient Rome, its people, or its culture. b. Of or relating to Latium, its people, or its culture. 3. Of or relating to the languages that developed from Latin, such as Italian, French, Spanish, and Portuguese, or to the peoples that speak them. 4a. Of or relating to the peoples, countries, or cultures of Latin America. b. Of or relating to Latinos or their culture. 5. Of or relating to the Roman Catholic Church.

Doesn?t seem to have anything to do with ancestry with the application of the words (of), (member of), (native of), (inhabitant of) and as a Dominican is a Dominican and a Mexican is a Mexican I think that the definitions above would classify them both as Latinos. ;)
Have a nice Christmas

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Very good, Rick. It's good that you reported the facts to Tomgallo just as they are. Of course, Latin Americans: Cubans, Mexicans, Dominicans etc. are Latin, speaking one of the languages derived from Latin and having a culture brought to the Iberian Peninsula by the Latin Romans and being, for the most part, members of the Latin Church. Every Latin people, European or American, carries the genes of different groups, ethnicities and races. The only people in Latin America who would not qualify as Latins are the inmigrants from non-Latin nations and those indigenous peoples who still speak their own languages and adhere to their own cultural norms and have been granted a certain autonomy by the governments of those countries and are recognized as distinct ethnic groups. However, all mestizos of Spanish and indigenous blood are Latin, and so are all Spanish and Portugueses speaking blacks and mullatoes. They all have Spanish or Portuguese as their native tongue, share the values and attitudes, notions and lifestyles of Latin peoples of Europe or anywhere else etc. In spite of the obvious differences among the nationalities that make up the Latin America population, you can see a common pattern in all the countries, from architecture, to religion, likes and dislikes. All of those things are what a culture is all about. Latin peoples are multiracial, belong to different nationalities, social classes and educational levels. From black Celia Cruz to white King Juan Carlos of Spain.

I am also happy to see that you brought all of those expert opinions about the Spanish-Castillian language and wheather to call it one or the other. Very good.

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Not so fast

Rick Snyder said:

The dialect of Spanish which has become the standard variety of Spanish is Castilian.But Spanish is not the ONLY language of Spain, of course. Basque is one of the languages of Spain and it is not related to Spanish at all. A further complexity is that in recent years varieties such as Catalan and Galician, which have at some times been regarded as separate languages, and at others as dialects of Spanish, are currently generally seen as languages in their own right. Catalan and Galician can be seen as dialects of Spanish but most certainly NOT as dialects of Castilian. So Catalan, Galician and Castilian can all be seen as dialects of Spanish, or can be seen as separate languages, which is why some people have taken to calling Standard Spanish 'Castilian'.You may wish to read Clare Mar-Molinero (1997) *The Spanish Speaking World* for an account of this.?

[/QUOTE]

First a few definitions:

DIALECT-A regional or social variety of a language distinguished by pronunciation, grammar, or vocabulary, especially a variety of speech differing from the standard literary language or speech pattern of the culture in which it exists. A variety of language that with other varieties constitutes a single language of which no single variety is standard.

LANGUAGES OF SPAIN: Castilian Spanish, Catalan, Basque, Galician.

First of all I will admit that Spanish has been accepted as the official name of the group of dialects spoken throughout Latin America, but to say Castilian is a dialect of Spanish is wrong as it is to say Catalan or Galician is as well. Each is it's own proper language with common roots in Latin.

The main reason for the acceptance of the term Spanish is because the Real Academia de la Lengua Espanola is comprised of members of each and every one of the Spanish speaking countries of Latin America and of course of Spain. They concluded that the name "Espanol" is the most accepted name for the individual "spoken dialects" of Castilian in each member country, which is different among themselves but hold the common root of grammar.

Spanish thus cannot be seen as a language in itself but the name given to this vast group of dialects. Proper Spanish grammar is still based around Castilian and is common to all speakers of Spanish dialects. So even though each Latin American speaks in his own dialect and pronounces differently we all follow common grammer rules.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Didn't mean to start anything really

Narcosis I will not try to argue with you. I am not an expert on this but the statement came up in another post and as I have always known the Spanish language to be called Spanish I thought it would only be right to ask the experts if the Spanish language is in fact Spanish. I posted the quotes by 4 linguists and the linguistic department of the Real Academia de la Lengua Espanola and if you should take it upon yourself to argue with them then so be it. I had no problems in calling the Spanish language Spanish and after asking the experts I still feel comfortable in calling the Spanish language Spanish. ;)

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Rick Snyder said:
Narcosis I will not try to argue with you. I am not an expert on this but the statement came up in another post and as I have always known the Spanish language to be called Spanish I thought it would only be right to ask the experts if the Spanish language is in fact Spanish. I posted the quotes by 4 linguists and the linguistic department of the Real Academia de la Lengua Espanola and if you should take it upon yourself to argue with them then so be it. I had no problems in calling the Spanish language Spanish and after asking the experts I still feel comfortable in calling the Spanish language Spanish. ;)

Actually I quoted your words. Catalan, Galician and Castilian are not Dialects of Spanish, that is nonsense. They would be dialects of Latin, furthermore they are not "recent varieties" of anything, Jesus the city of Barcelona was founded by the Romans and part of that empire thus the birth of the Catalan language.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Forza Catalunya!

Rick Snyder said:
Catalan and Galician can be seen as dialects of Spanish but most certainly NOT as dialects of Castilian. So Catalan, Galician and Castilian can all be seen as dialects of Spanish, or can be seen as separate languages,

Don't insult my Catalan friends by saying that Catalan is a dialect of Spanish. There are not only Basque extremists but Catalan ones as well, so be careful. Lol.
Catalan is a language in its own right with influences from French, Italian and Spanish, which is clear to everyone who speaks and understands some Catalan. It certainly stands much further apart from 'Spanish' than Venezuelan, Cuban, Dominican Spanish. 'Castilian' Spanish speakers in Spain don't understand a word that Catalans are saying and when interviewing a Catalan for tv they have to subtitle it in 'Spanish' for the Spanish to understand.
Forza Bar?a!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Wait a minute everyone

Please read my first post again . In it I said

From Rick
As to your equivocal statement that the Spanish language doesn?t exist I offer the following quotes to you from people that in fact are more knowledge then you;

I then had a quote, (NOT FROM ME), from a professor at the School of English University of Leeds

I then had a quote, (NOT FROM ME), from another linguist but I don?t remember from where, sorry.

I then had a quote, (NOT FROM ME), from another linguist from Ball State University.

I then had a quote, (NOT FROM ME), from an Assoc. Professor of Anthropology.

I then had a quote, (NOT FROM ME), from the department of linguists at the RAE.

Then in post #7 I said;

From Rick
I am not an expert on this but the statement came up in another post

And I said;

From Rick
would only be right to ask the experts if the Spanish language is in fact Spanish. I posted the quotes by 4 linguists and the linguistic department of the Real Academia de la Lengua Espanola

And once again;

From Rick
and if you should take it upon yourself to argue with them then so be it.

Don't argue with me as I am convinced that the Spanish language is in fact Spanish and there is nothing anyone can say to convince me otherwise. Sorry. ;) ;) ;)

wventura

Oct 21, 2003
juancarlos said:
The only people in Latin America who would not qualify as Latins are the inmigrants from non-Latin nations and those indigenous peoples who still speak their own languages and adhere to their own cultural norms and have been granted a certain autonomy by the governments of those countries and are recognized as distinct ethnic groups. However, all mestizos of Spanish and indigenous blood are Latin, and so are all Spanish and Portugueses speaking blacks and mullatoes. They all have Spanish or Portuguese as their native tongue, share the values and attitudes, notions and lifestyles of Latin peoples of Europe or anywhere else etc.

I Strongly Disagree. Latin America (an inacurate name in its own right), is a very big, diverse, and complex place, composed of people of many different origins, cultures, and ethnicities.

I hate when people describe all cultural aspects of Latin American as "Latin", when that could not possibly be further from the truth, its discredits the origins of many peoples culture. There are many many different cultures (thousands) and only some of them are of Latin Orgin.

Latin Culture is European, but "Latin" America is mostly non-european.

wventura

Oct 21, 2003
Rick Snyder said:

This is directed to tomgallo who in a different post seemed to take offense at the language of Spanish being called Spanish. I didn't want to highjack the other thread so I thought I would start this one so that I might try to set the record straight.
tomgallo said;

(QUOTE)The official language of Spain is indeed Spanish. It is Spanish (abbreviated as 'es' for 'Espa?ol') which represents Spain at the EU (http://europa.eu.int/). More information is available if you follow the 'Languages' link. The dialect of Spanish which has become the standard variety of Spanish is Castilian"

If Castillian is merely a dialect of "Spanish", then "Spanish" is not the language of the D.R.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Say what?

If Castillian is merely a dialect of "Spanish", then "Spanish" is not the language of the D.R.

I'm sorry wventura could you please explain your post?

Last edited:

wventura

Oct 21, 2003
Rick Snyder said:
I'm sorry wventura could you please explain your post?

DOminicans speak Castilian. If Castillian is a just dialect of "spanish"(as that quote explains), then "spanish" is not the language of the DR.

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
Rick Snyder said:

tomgallo said;

(QUOTE)The official language of Spain is indeed Spanish. It is Spanish (abbreviated as 'es' for 'Espa?ol') which represents Spain at the EU (http://europa.eu.int/). More information is available if you follow the 'Languages' link. The dialect of Spanish which has become the standard variety of Spanish is Castilian.But Spanish is not the ONLY language of Spain, of course. Basque is one of the languages of Spain and it is not related to Spanish at all. A further complexity is that in recent years varieties such as Catalan and Galician, which have at some times been regarded as separate languages, and at others as dialects of Spanish, are currently generally seen as languages in their own right. Catalan and Galician can be seen as dialects of Spanish but most certainly NOT as dialects of Castilian. So Catalan, Galician and Castilian can all be seen as dialects of Spanish, or can be seen as separate languages, which is why some people have taken to calling Standard Spanish 'Castilian'.You may wish to read Clare Mar-Molinero (1997) *The Spanish Speaking World* for an account of this.?

Another linguist -

Another linguist from Ball State University ?

From an Assoc. Professor of Anthropology ?

And lastly from the department of linguists at the RAE ?

I hope this helps clear your mind on the particular matter.

tomgallo also said;

Merriam Webster says ? Latino - 1 : a native or inhabitant of Latin America
2 : a person of Latin-American origin living in the U.S.

Latin - 1 a : of, relating to, or composed in Latin b : ROMANCE
2 : of or relating to Latium or the Latins
3 : of or relating to the part of the Catholic Church that until recently used a Latin rite and forms the patriarchate of the pope
4 : of or relating to the peoples or countries using Romance languages; specifically : of or relating to the peoples or countries of Latin America

Bartleby.com says ? Latino - 1. A Latin American. 2. A person of Hispanic, especially Latin-American, descent, often one living in the United States.

Latin -
NOUN: 1a. The Indo-European language of the ancient Latins and Romans and the most important cultural language of western Europe until the end of the 17th century. b. The Latin language and literature from the end of the third century b.c. to the end of the second century a.d. 2a. A member of a Latin people, especially a native or inhabitant of Latin America. b. A Latino or Latina. 3. A native or resident of ancient Latium.
ADJECTIVE: 1. Of, relating to, or composed in Latin: a Latin scholar; Latin verse.2a. Of or relating to ancient Rome, its people, or its culture. b. Of or relating to Latium, its people, or its culture. 3. Of or relating to the languages that developed from Latin, such as Italian, French, Spanish, and Portuguese, or to the peoples that speak them. 4a. Of or relating to the peoples, countries, or cultures of Latin America. b. Of or relating to Latinos or their culture. 5. Of or relating to the Roman Catholic Church.

Doesn?t seem to have anything to do with ancestry with the application of the words (of), (member of), (native of), (inhabitant of) and as a Dominican is a Dominican and a Mexican is a Mexican I think that the definitions above would classify them both as Latinos. ;)
Have a nice Christmas[/QUOTE]

Thanks! You just made my point. Go beyond the "quote" and try to open your mind and make your own interpretation of what you are reading in the context of our topic. By the way do not take as a fact everthing you read.
Look at a UK geographical document and you'll find "the falklands islands" then go to an Argentinian map and you'll see "islas Malvinas"

Napoleon was 100% right when he said They have (________) a shopkeepers mentality.

Spanish = Castillian
Spain is a country similar to Switzerland, Belgium and Canada because it is formed of different nationalities who speak different dialects/languages being the predominant language the "castillian" which translates as you have quoted to "Spanish"

Latin is a language or a dead dud as you may want to described it. Everthing latin originates as I said in my post. We the Spanish/Castillian speaking people of America are fighting the McDonaldzition of our culture for the "convenience sake" of the "anglos" of the North. You can take your Cambridge/Oxford based reference books and shoved. I can quote 15 different Spanish based reference books to contradict must of your quotes.

Anyway, have your 5 minutes of fame on this board and go to bed feeling that someone will propose you as a candidate to the Nobel prize in anything Spanish. Good Luck!!

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
wventura said:

Castillian is Spanish, the same dud. Spanish originated in Castilla which is a region os Spain where Madrid is located. All the power in Spain came from this part. Castillian is what everone calls Spanish.

Status
Not open for further replies.