Nagua visited

Bata

Nov 21, 2004
Have returned from Nagua and found it to be a comfortable middle-class town for Dominicans rather than most tourists. I stayed in the Hotel Sinai, located in Nagua on Sanchez St., two streets from the ocean. This place was very clean and the rooms had both ceiling fan and AC. From the lobby, you're able to walk right into a restaurant with good food. The hotel is run by a lady named Divina and following closely behind her is her dog, Pretty. Divina speaks English easily. Across the street and about a block up is a computer store where you can log on using a high speed connection.

As one goes out the lobby door, turning to the left, one will find Duarte Park. Colon St. runs off of the park. Going left on Colon St, one will soon find a good ice cream shop called Bon. At the next corner, their's a supermarket, Supermercado Henry. It has a good selection of items but I couldn't find deoderant. Going about 4 more blocks on Colon, you'll find a very large supermercado called Apoyo. Continuing on you'll find a Catholic Church.

If you're looking for a place to stop in route to another location or a place to just lay low and rest, this could be your place. I would walk to the ocean about 7 in the morning and go for a half hour walk along the sand. Chose that time because the sunrises were so beautiful. There's quite a bit of debris, along the sand but not close to the ocean's edge. It's probably fine for a swim also. Know of a couple who would take a swim there for exercise; however, there is a better appearing beach about a 15+ minute walk out the lobby door and turning to the right. The beach is called Los Gringos.
I was also in Boca Chica and Cabarete but will write about those in a new thread. Hope my info. will be helpful to anyone traveling along the north. Por ahora .... Bata

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
This is what dr1 is all about. That was a very good job of discribing your visit. I'm sure you helped some people out with this thread.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
jruane44 said:
This is what dr1 is all about. That was a very good job of discribing your visit. I'm sure you helped some people out with this thread.

You mentiomed the hotel in nagua. What was the nightly rate. I am interested in visiting that town in february. Let me know. Also hotel details, like size and locations and sourandings. Thanks.

Bata

Nov 21, 2004
Price per night

stallion said:
You mentiomed the hotel in nagua. What was the nightly rate. I am interested in visiting that town in february. Let me know. Also hotel details, like size and locations and sourandings. Thanks.

I was there as part of a work project and my single room was paid for but if I understood others correctly, my room was about $48 US -

Bata

Nov 21, 2004
jruane44 said:

Thank you, hope so -

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Bata said:
Thank you, hope so -

Did the $48.00 dollars include food? If not, that's too much for a small town. I mean puerto plata all inclusive resorts start at $50.00 a night.

Bata

Nov 21, 2004
stallion said:
Did the $48.00 dollars include food? If not, that's too much for a small town. I mean puerto plata all inclusive resorts start at $50.00 a night.

As I mentioned, my room was being pd for by the work project. So I never knew for sure the cost of the room. My spanish is 'intermediate' so I may not have caught the price correctly. My info. came from someone I was speaking to in a restaurant. It did not include food but did include, tv, ac and a room fan. The rooms toward the outside can be noisey so I would suggest one in the rear or inner section of the hotel.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
It's not that expensive.

When I was there in September, Aparta Central by the park was RD$600 per night and Gran Madrid, right outside of town was around the same rate and RD$900 for a suite. Both nice hotels. I'm sure they are still about the same now.

-Tim

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While it is interesting to know

that there is a decent place to stay in Nagua, that price must be way off.

Today you are talking about RD$1500+. You can get a room at an A/I in many parts of the country for that price.

So, either "they saw you coming" or they really made hay with the company you were working for.

I would think that RD$600 a night would be about right....

HB

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Hillbilly said:

Today you are talking about RD$1500+. You can get a room at an A/I in many parts of the country for that price.

So, either "they saw you coming" or they really made hay with the company you were working for.

HB

I truly agree with you on this one.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nagua's location

Nagua is situated in the Northeast part of the DR. Just where the Samana Peninsula meets the mainland-after all it used to be an island....

It is east of San Francisco de Macor?s and southeast of the town of Cabrera and slightly Northwest of S?nchez.

It has a huge coastline with lots of palms. It is not a destination for foreign tourists, but is hugely popular for Dominicans from the area and from Santo Domingo. And this is why it is interesting to find a nice place to stay...

HB

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Hillbilly said:

HB

I have stayed at the Siani and I believe I paid RD400, but that was a year and a half ago. Nice place, clean and tastefully decorated. I hope to return. Nagua is a nice change of pace if you want to experience a truly Dominican town on the North Coast.

jrothert

Feb 23, 2005
Nagua

Former (gringo) resident of Nagua -- over forty years ago -- and am considering first return visit in over 25 years. Just beginning my research and am finding this thread helpful. Thanks very much! Any other hotel, restaurant recommendations in Nagua? I have many fond memories of the town and its residents. BYW, what is the exchange rate now - RD$ -> USD?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What Gringo in his right mind would have lived in Nagua over 40 years ago? A Peace

Corps Volunteer?? Hummm?

Exchange rate today is 28.50 to one.

You won't believe how little it has changed...

HB :(:)

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
jrothert said:
Former (gringo) resident of Nagua -- over forty years ago -- and am considering first return visit in over 25 years. Just beginning my research and am finding this thread helpful. Thanks very much! Any other hotel, restaurant recommendations in Nagua? I have many fond memories of the town and its residents. BYW, what is the exchange rate now - RD$ -> USD?

Hello jrothert and welcome to DR1.
The exchange rate is arround 28.70 pesos to 1 USD.

blanca

Jan 23, 2003
Hotel in Nagua

JRO,
If you want a quiet place with the best and kindest people in Nagua it's Hotel Bella Vista! I stayed there for over a month while construction was underway at our shrimp farm and many times after that just to get away. Call and ask for Maria Luisa # 584-4141. Tell her El Gringo, Howard & Karym sent you and she will give you a discount. Regular rates are around RD 600.00 for a nice room. The Hotel is entering Nagua from the East Almost across from the Texaco stacion on the hill.
Ask Maria Luisa's husband who is a doctor in Nagua to recomend a restaurant! He may even take you there! BEWARE!!!!!!!! He drives like....... I don't know. But I am alive today....... Joking. He has to be met if not just for his voice!
Check it out and let me know.
Rate today ALEXS CAMBIO= 28.75
jrothert said:

blanca

Jan 23, 2003
Or...........

A few Miles down the road to the West passing through Nagua is the Caribe Swissinn
# 805-5547, For a real get away but not a far away location this is it!. Less than 10 Min. From Nagua Ask for Tim or Monica, this place is very nice but the price is not bad. Swimming pool, also they have there own restaurant in which they are the chefs and will cook whatever you can think of. Also you may be lucky enough to try some of our shrimp there!
Tell them Howard & Karym will be home soon!
blanca said:
JRO,
If you want a quiet place with the best and kindest people in Nagua it's Hotel Bella Vista! I stayed there for over a month while construction was underway at our shrimp farm and many times after that just to get away. Call and ask for Maria Luisa # 584-4141. Tell her El Gringo, Howard & Karym sent you and she will give you a discount. Regular rates are around RD 600.00 for a nice room. The Hotel is entering Nagua from the East Almost across from the Texaco stacion on the hill.
Ask Maria Luisa's husband who is a doctor in Nagua to recomend a restaurant! He may even take you there! BEWARE!!!!!!!! He drives like....... I don't know. But I am alive today....... Joking. He has to be met if not just for his voice!
Check it out and let me know.
Rate today ALEXS CAMBIO= 28.75

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
Can anyone tell us how to best get to Nagua-and the second best way.
Where does one land? MIA/SDQ; MIA/POP;??
Rent a car or bus or driver??
Length of trip?
Thanks, John