Is it ok/safe to Arrive Santo Domingo Airport late at night?

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
My friends are considering taking a flight the would arrive around 10pm at Santo Domingo airport and we figured by the time we cleared customs/immigration it would be like 11 30...Is it a Safe time to leave the airport?
Are the Roads safe from Airport into town?
Are airport taxis reliable?

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
JC171 said:
My friends are considering taking a flight the would arrive around 10pm at Santo Domingo airport and we figured by the time we cleared customs/immigration it would be like 11 30...Is it a Safe time to leave the airport?

It depends if you are the one doing the driving.
Dominicans are not patient drivers.
You would not have any problems if you take a taxi.

David Dempsey

Jul 3, 2004
OK to arrive late at night

It is safe you will not get mugged. However, you have to watch out for:

1. The taxi drivers overcharging you and trying to send you to brothels in Boca Chica to spend the night. Know what hotel you are going to and don't let them dissuade you

2. Guys who want to carry your bags to the taxi and then want large tips for this non-favor.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
David Dempsey said:
It is safe you will not get mugged. However, you have to watch out for:

1. The taxi drivers overcharging you and trying to send you to brothels in Boca Chica to spend the night. Know what hotel you are going to and don't let them dissuade you

2. Guys who want to carry your bags to the taxi and then want large tips for this non-favor.

You should not have any problems other than what mentioned by these two members. 10 pm is not considered that late in the dr. And it should not take you 1 and half hours to clear customs. Just be carefull with the security officials and customs asking for some kick backs and tips. Just pretend you dont understand what they say. Good luck.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
JC171 said:
I usually arrive around 2am in the morning from JFK, don't worry there's a taxi stand right there to take you to the hotel. there's a big *** sign "TAXI" a la Izquierda when you come out.