Any Dominicans In Australia/New zealand

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
Im curious to know how many dominicans are living in this part of the world?
any way of finding out?

PuertoRican2

Dec 20, 2004
tt

The Dominican Population is 10 million out of those 10 million 8 million live in the Dominican Republic and 2 million live outside of the dominican republic like in the United States,Spain , Puerto Rico which dominicans make up the secound largest population in puerto rico which in many puerto rican neighboorhood you could hear the dominican music of merengue and you know that dominicans are near. I dont know about dominicans in australia but who know dominicans are even in china.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I know of one.

JC171 said:
Im curious to know how many dominicans are living in this part of the world?
any way of finding out?

My daughter if moving to Sydney in less than two weeks :cry: . I'll ask her to do a search once she is there.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I know of two women who went to work in Australia when I was teaching English at The ICDA. I had a student who worked at the ministry of foreign relations and she showed me a list of places where Dominicans lived and I was astounded to see how spread out we were all over the world. There are Dominicans living in Norway, Alaska, Siberia, Congo, The Seychelle Islands, Nigeria, Vanuatu, South Africa, Ukraine, Tajikistan, Vietnam, etc...Places that you'd never expect.

I remember that my neighbor from The DR used to live or still lives in Central African Republic. She was the baby sitter of a high ranking official of that country. She was baby sitting their kids in New York and apparently they offered her all kinds of money to go back to their country and work for them over there. She then had her two kids join her over there. Very strange, I thought at the time, but I remember every once in a while she would come and visit the family she had left in The DR.

The way to find out is to call the Cancilleria in The DR and ask them for the address and number of the consulate of whatever country you're interested in. There is usually at least one consul per country. Places where there are hardly any Dominicans at all will normally have an honorary consul. This person then, may be able to tell you if there are any Dominicans living there.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
www.cig.gov.do used to have a list of all embassies and consulates, but it is being updated. Must be because of the change of government there have been many new appointments to diplomatic postings.

On the subject of Dominicans in far flung spots: my husband visited Libreville in Gabon (West Africa) several years ago and was told that the President's cook was Dominican.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Chirimoya said:
On the subject of Dominicans in far flung spots: my husband visited Libreville in Gabon (West Africa) several years ago and was told that the President's cook was Dominican.
Holly travelling cooks Batman, that is far out!

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Actually not really. A few of my friends have been or are stationed throughout the African continent and I know they have come across a few Dominicans in their travels. I also know of Dominican colleagues that were stationed in different countries in Africa doing development work for a few years, but they tend to rotate and tend to have French speaking skills (francophone countries). Some are there more permanently through marriage or work. Then you have those that are just travelling...I know I will be heading there as soon as I get the chance to take advantage of my friends being stations there with the US Embassy. ;)

Pib said:
Holly travelling cooks Batman, that is far out!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Speaking of Dominicans living in unexpected places there's a story of a Dominican and her son who disappeared in the Tsunamis. According to the paper they were vacationing in Thailand, but live in Sri Lanka.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Their is a small town in upstate N.Y. that i used to live in Cold Brook N.Y. population 350 in 1952 and population 350 now. Great town hope some dominicans move there and raise the population numbers.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Their is a small town in upstate N.Y. that i used to live in Cold Brook N.Y. population 350 in 1952 and population 350 now. Great town hope some dominicans move there and raise the population numbers.

why??? do u want this???

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Dominicans are everywhere I was in working near Banos Ecuador back in 2010 and in the town of Banos was a Dominican women with a small restaurant was recently working in London on the Crossrail and there was a Dominican guy there working with us one thing is for sure domincans get out and about !!