Allegro Punta Cana

PPChica

Aug 18, 2004
Hi,

I just booked one week in March at this resort and I'd love to have some information from anyone who's stayed there - the beach, the food, the nightlife, what to bring, what to watch out for, good day trips... anything you want to share.

I'm super excited and looking forward to staying on the south side of the island (I've only ever been to POP).

Thanks for the help,
Courtney ;)

south side

You will have an awful time staying at this resort on the south side of the island, Courtney.

It is on the east side.

I have stayed there, beach is very nice, food is good, nightlife is not like POP, but they do have a decent disco.

pm or email me if you have any other questions

Wannago

May 27, 2004
PPChica said:
Hi,

I just booked one week in March at this resort and I'd love to have some information from anyone who's stayed there - the beach, the food, the nightlife, what to bring, what to watch out for, good day trips... anything you want to share.

I'm super excited and looking forward to staying on the south side of the island (I've only ever been to POP).

Thanks for the help,
Courtney ;)

I was there in April 03 and my sister and I are going again in 2 weeks after we see some of the inland area. We enjoyed it. The beach was great. Staff nice and helpful. Food good. We went into the little village alot and played pool, got to listen to a live band. Was great. The Disco did seem fun, but wasn't there long. We did a couple trips from the resort-- Bavaro Runners i think, and we are going to try the party boat this time and swimming with the sharks. We didn't venture too far away from the resort on our own that time.

Maybe I can give you an update when I get back the end of January.

Gonnago (formerly Wannago)

PPChica

Aug 18, 2004
That'd Be Great

I'd love to hear from you after your trip in January! Enjoy!!

I am interested in the day trips... what's the party boat one??

Thanks for replying to my post, it makes me feel better about my trip in March. I like to know what I'm walking into when I go on vacation!

:)

akstone1

Dec 6, 2004
re: day trips

The party boat is the Kontiki (I think) and it reminds me of a spring break trip from college. They cruise the coast, play cheesy American club songs, and serve drinks after snorkeling. It would be cool to get "free" drinks if I wasn't already at an all inclusive resort. I have yet to figure out why the excursion operators feel the need to keep you out on the tours all day. Both of the excursions we took in the past were way too long. I was staying at great resorts. All I wanted to do was snorkel and go back. The most recent one we did was swimming with the sharks and rays. It was a cool experience once we got there, but the trip was over six hours long for 45 minutes of snorkeling. We were on the boat for what seemed like an eternity. The lunch was lunchmeat sandwiches and 6 oz. cups of orange pop or Coke. The beer wasn't even Presidente, but some bad tasting crap. Hardly worth $160 USD for two people. I hope this helps.

Wannago

May 27, 2004
akstone1 said:
The party boat is the Kontiki (I think) and it reminds me of a spring break trip from college. They cruise the coast, play cheesy American club songs, and serve drinks after snorkeling. It would be cool to get "free" drinks if I wasn't already at an all inclusive resort. I have yet to figure out why the excursion operators feel the need to keep you out on the tours all day. Both of the excursions we took in the past were way too long. I was staying at great resorts. All I wanted to do was snorkel and go back. The most recent one we did was swimming with the sharks and rays. It was a cool experience once we got there, but the trip was over six hours long for 45 minutes of snorkeling. We were on the boat for what seemed like an eternity. The lunch was lunchmeat sandwiches and 6 oz. cups of orange pop or Coke. The beer wasn't even Presidente, but some bad tasting crap. Hardly worth $160 USD for two people. I hope this helps.

My sister was on the day trip to swim with the sharks, and yes... she thought it was a little long, but she got to enjoy seeing the coast line and being in the water by the sharks. She wants to do it again. I think as long as we are on the resort for 10 days, we might as well do a couple extra things. You never know, things may change and we might venture off the resort and drive inland.

Gonnago

PPChica

Aug 18, 2004
Thanks!

Thanks guys,

I went on a snorkeling excursion in POP and was interested in one for Punta Cana but maybe I'll save my money!
;)

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
I had a great time at the Allegro

I was there on my last trip for the Holidays. The time I spent on the resort was great, the people are really friendly but if you want to communicate, with most of them you need to speak Spanish. The bartenders only understand the names of the drinks, but some of them are able to say some English words.

The disco opens from 11pm to 2am since it's a small resort. If you want to keep partying, you can go to the local bar right pass the Sunscape, (by the side of the road, (near the dump yard)), it's open until 6am. Plays loud Merengue all night. Mostly locals there thought, but they don't bite. If you are alone and affraid of going there by yourself (there is not much light on that road at night), find a friend on the resort, someone will surely go with you since many tourists are curious about the local's... A bottle of rhum with 2 cokes should cost you US 7$.

The beach is not amazing, the water is foggy, but if you walk 10mins towards the Natura Park resort (facing the water that would be on your left), you will find white sand and see through water. The beach bar closes at 5pm but the bartender usually starts closing around 4, by 4.30 there is only Presidente left to drink. There is another bar a 100ft away that is open all night.

If you have a problem in your room, ask for Joel at the front desk, he's the manager, he will help you, avoid Laura!!

The "a la carte" restaurants don't need a reservation since this past december so you can show up and they will seat you. Try the Italian, it's pretty good, especially the Carne con porto. The buffet is really good and the pizza is amazing.

There are only 4 stores in the hotel and they are not open often, so make sure you don't forget anything you might need down there.

If you are a single gal, run away when the dancers finish their show, they think they're hot stuff and they are really flirtatious (unless that's what you look for...). Most of them speak English and they also give the dance lessons on the beach and organize games during daytime. You will see them walking around.

Good day trips, La Saona and the Jeep Safari. If you take the first one, the bus is filled with cocroaches so make sure to shake your stuff when you get out but the party on the boat is great and la Saona is amazing, if you take the 2nd one, bring food, water, candies, kids clothing... You will go through the poorest Haitian villages in the sugar cane's plantations, with starving kids climbing on the jeep. But it's really worth it!

I am missing a lot there but overall, the rooms are nice and clean, damp and cold if you are by the ocean (building 7 is supposely much better). The staff is nice but few speaks English, the show at night is loud but don't last long, the dico is not open late... From the reviews I read, people either loved it or hated it! I liked it because it wasn't too fancy and too luxurious and I had a great service when needed.

Your vacations are as fun as you want them to be, you experience could be really different from mine! If you want further infos, pm me, I can share links to pics and other stuff!