Danger:energy Saving Bulb Explodes !

DGCYS

Nov 25, 2002
WWW.MEILINK.COM
FYI:
I HAD ONE OF THE LOW COST ENERGY SAVING BULBS EXPLODE IN IT'S SOCKET. I HEARD A LOUD POP IN THE HOUSE AND WHEN I CHECKED ON IT I FOUND THE KIDS BED IN FLAMES. LUCK I ONLY LOST THE BED AND SHEETS BUT IF I HAD GONE OUT AND LEFT THE LIGHT ON I WOULD NOT HAVE A HOUSE !
A LITTLE RESEARCH ON THE NET SHOWED THAT SEVERAL OF THESE CHINESE BULBS DO NOT HAVE FLAME RETARDENT BASES AND CAN CATCH FIRE.
BULB IN QUESTION WAS AROUND 99 PESOS AT OCHOA.
SPEND THE EXTRA BUCK AND GET THE ONES WITH CERAMIC BASE
REGARDS,
DAVID :cry:

calamardoazul

Jul 29, 2003
DGCYS said:
FYI:
I HAD ONE OF THE LOW COST ENERGY SAVING BULBS EXPLODE IN IT'S SOCKET. I HEARD A LOUD POP IN THE HOUSE AND WHEN I CHECKED ON IT I FOUND THE KIDS BED IN FLAMES. LUCK I ONLY LOST THE BED AND SHEETS BUT IF I HAD GONE OUT AND LEFT THE LIGHT ON I WOULD NOT HAVE A HOUSE !
A LITTLE RESEARCH ON THE NET SHOWED THAT SEVERAL OF THESE CHINESE BULBS DO NOT HAVE FLAME RETARDENT BASES AND CAN CATCH FIRE.
BULB IN QUESTION WAS AROUND 99 PESOS AT OCHOA.
SPEND THE EXTRA BUCK AND GET THE ONES WITH CERAMIC BASE
REGARDS,
DAVID :cry:

Hey David, could you please PM me to let me know the trademark of those bulbs.....?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Please post the brand name and other details so that the rest of us will know which of the many energy saving bulbs available here that you had problems with.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, please do

There are bulbs for 43 pesos at Lama and Bellon....

Remember, these flourescent (?) bulbs need to be fairly in the open, never enclosed...

HB

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
Yes

this same thing just happened to us the other day. my husband had bought 3 for the house and 2 of them popped, and the others stopped working..then somehow my husband took apart the bulb at the bottom and it started to work....so he hung it back up and now we have a bulb that works but is hanging from its base. he bought them at iberia and they were like 50 some pesos. they had 4 loops.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I've stopped buying anything electrical made in China if I can possibly avoid it, whether in the DR or here in the States. Have had too many wires, fuses, bulbs etc burn out on me from substandard wiring, filament, soldering etc... Maybe someday China will get its quality control act together, but for now, the safety risk posed by lack thereof in Chinese-made electrical products outweighs the benefit from their bargain prices, far as I'm concerned.

Texasfool

*** Sock Puppet ***
Nov 9, 2004
Hillbilly said:
There are bulbs for 43 pesos at Lama and Bellon....

Remember, these flourescent (?) bulbs need to be fairly in the open, never enclosed...

HB

I was recently at Caesars' in Vegas, they are using those energy saving screw in fluorescents in everything. They use them in recessed mounts in the hotel rooms, so it appears they have no problem "enclosing" them as they are inserted into a recessed fixture in the ceiling

Maybe these are specifically designed for this?