Puerto Plata Internet service.

A

A. Nony Mouse

I have been using Codetel on the South coast as my ISP for two years, and have watched the response time deteriorate during peak hours, but the service still worked. My concern is with Puerto Plata because I am moving there soon.

Reports from my contacts in Puerto Plata say that even Codetel admits that they have problems in that area. Congestion is unbelievable until after midnight. We have two computers in Playa Dorada and another friend has one in the Long Beach area. He was informed by Codetel that their Flashnet service (super fast) has been delayed until November due to Internet problems.

I would like to hear from someone in Puerto Plata who is using Codetel as his ISP and is satisfied with the response time. Also I would love to hear from people in the same area as to how Tricom is working for them as an ISP.

A. Nony Moose

A

Andy

Moose:

I,m not in Puerto Plata but on the NE corner in Las Galeras. We rely on microwave to Samana, then microwave again through a repeater to wherever Codetel's main receiving station is,...I assume STO DOM. I can assure you that both my regular voice line and the seperate line I have for this Computer STINKS. I can GUARANTEE that no matter what time of the day or night, I rarely can get more than 10 minutes without the signal going bye-bye. The voice part cuts in and out, with a 1 to 2 second delay and sometimes conversation is difficult. We can always tell when a lond distance call is coming in: the phone rings once, then is silent for 30 seconds or so and rings again and we pick up (to a cutting in and out conversation). We've complained for a year, the length of time we've had service here in Las Galeras.

But I guess we should be glad, because after 10 years waiting for a phone, we no longer have to rely on smoke signals!

C

Carlos Dalton

I've had Codetel internet service in PP for @ 2 years. The quality varies; some days - exc; other days - awful. The cost is reasonable. The Codetel service is abominable. Nobody in PP will help you w any internet problem; you must deal w Codetel's Santo Dominog office, by phone; some Codetel internet employees speak English, are service oriented, & helpful. All in all, not bad for this part of the world; clearly not up to USA standards. Curiously, I ge phone calls form Codetel @ once per week, trying to sell me some new & valuable Codetel service. If they only put those sales operators busy in the service dept!!

E

Elie

Hi, Maybe you will be able to help me . I em trying to locate a web site or something concerning employment agencies in the dominican republic. I have tried but i guess i need more directions . if you can help i would appricieate it very much Thank you

Elie

D

DR One

Employment agencies in the DR are very reticent about hiring from abroad, regardless of your credentials. G.A.Tavares is one of the largest of these. They can be contacted at g.a.tavares@codetel.net.do

If you are interested in relocating to the DR, consider purchasing the Living in Santo Domingo book. It has a chapter with many tips on finding work here.

A

A. Nony Mouse

Has anyone on the North coast reading this have Tricom as their ISP? I really need to know if it is better than Codetel before installing my phone.

A

Alberto

Re: Puerto Plata Real Estate.

Hi; I am interested in learning about Real Estate in the Puerto Plata area. Could some one tell me if there is an internet address that I should contact for this purpose.

Alberto

Y

ydkdy

Re: Puerto Plata Real Estate.

Take your time to find what you want. Then FIRST thing you do is find a attorney. Never give anyone there money till it has been gone over by a attorney. There is a lot of real estate web sites just look up real estate for the Dominican Republic. And just be on your toes at all times. I can tell you that there is a lot of good people there and a lot of rip offs there also. I was told by many local and others there that Sosua Remax is one to stay away from. Do your home work on this one and all will go just fine for you.