Ocean World, Sun Village and Damajagua review

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
This review of Ocean World, the Cofresi Sun Village resort, and the waterfall climb at Damajagua was in the paper today:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...geid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1104231964906

Visitors sink teeth into a shark swim
Dominican pool thrill of a lifetime

Guests get to pet, hold hungry sharks

ROBERTA AVERY
SPECIAL TO THE STAR

COFRESI BEACH, D.R.?Sharks ? just the name is enough to send shivers of primal fear down my spine and yet I had been talked into getting up close and personal to not just one, but several of the predators.

I sat on the steps with my knees submerged in the shark pool at the Dominican Republic's latest attraction Ocean World as animal trainer Phil Admiral poured blood into the water to lure the nurse sharks toward me.

The blood worked.

Within seconds half a dozen black forms could be seen circling around the pool of blood, their tails swishing back and forth in tune to the theme of the 1970s movie Jaws that was being played over the loud speaker.

Admiral ordered me to lift up my arms so that my fingers were not in reach and then he placed Manchita, a female nurse shark nearly two metres long, across my lap. Then gently he pulled my reluctant hand onto her back....

i know rob doesn't like full articles being copied, and this one will be archived by the paper in 7 days, so if anyone wants the full article i can email it to you.

mob