Travel Documentation - Different Question

quick2blush

Dec 30, 2004
Hi, I'm a newbie, but I have already used the search feature for this question! ;)

We're travelling from Canada (all Canadian citizens) to Punta Cana in January.

The issue we've just realized is my mom's documentation. Here's the story:

- her birth certificate has her maiden name
- all her other ID (driver's license etc) has her married name
- she's been divorced for almost 30 years and doesn't have any copies of marriage/divorce papers

She called our travel agent who suggested getting a notarized letter (verifying her identification), which she's done. Will this be enough?

I can't think of what else to do!

Thanks!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Q2B, I assume her drivers' license has her photo on it. I think if she has it ready, along with the other documentation giving the same name, that she should have no trouble.

Obviously her birth certificate will have a different name than her drivers' license if she has been married. If it is necessary to prove she is a Canadian citizen, this should do it. Officials don't expect the birth certificate to be in her maiden name.

I see no reason why they would ask for marriage/divorce papers, unless she is one of those people who feel compelled to talk at length about her personal situation.

If she wants to get a notarized letter saying she is the person whose name and picture is on the drivers' license, fine. But it sounds like overkill to me. Tell her to come as Mrs. so and so, if they ask about her husband, say he is dead. Nobody here is going to ask the FBI to investigate.

Enjoy your trip. Tell your mother to stop working and start packing.

quick2blush

Dec 30, 2004
Thanks for your response Ken. I was worried because everything I've seen, including the documentation page on this website, states that you must have the marriage certificate when the name on the birth certificate is different from the photo ID.

I don't even know if you can still get copies of a marriage certificate from 30 years ago!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Q2B, if you lived in the US, you can get a notarized copy of the marriage certificate from the Clerk of the County in which she was married. It will still be available when she has been married for 50 years. I'm sure there must be an equivalent office in Canada.

But when you think of it, how can the name on the birth certificate and current photo id be the same for an adult, married woman?

Chances are you will arrive on an airplane with lots of other people and they will be hurrying you through the entry process.

player69

*** Sin Bin ***
Dec 31, 2004
quick2blush said:
Hi, I'm a newbie, but I have already used the search feature for this question! ;)

We're travelling from Canada (all Canadian citizens) to Punta Cana in January.

The issue we've just realized is my mom's documentation. Here's the story:

- her birth certificate has her maiden name
- all her other ID (driver's license etc) has her married name
- she's been divorced for almost 30 years and doesn't have any copies of marriage/divorce papers

She called our travel agent who suggested getting a notarized letter (verifying her identification), which she's done. Will this be enough?

I can't think of what else to do!

Thanks!

Depending when in january, you can always get a passport(you do not need it to enter DR). But passpert are usually ready in 10 days and always good to travel with it, it's your best identity for travelling. And the department of foreign affairs recomds that you travel with it.