Dominican visa so hard to get?

Y

ydkdy

Would someone tell me why it's so hard for Dominicans to get a visa? I have no idea why they don't let them out of the Dominican as easy as the US or Canada do for us. And will you please tell me what is the INS?

L

Loren

harry, call me at 975-7987 I will tell you all about it. You know the area code.

INS: United States Immigration and Naturalization Service.

The DR places no restrictions on its residents leaving the country.

A visa is permission to visit issued by the country you intend to visit. It is difficult for Dominicans to get a visa to the USA becasue the INS government assumes you wish to be an illegal alien and work in the US. As a Dominican petitioning for a no-immigrant visa, you have to prove otherwise to the INS.

I assume the same rationale applies for Canada, but I dont know.

Greater than 1 of 10 Dominicans live in the US. The Dominican Republic is #7 in emigration to the US. The volume of applicants relative to the country's population makes it difficult to actually obtain an immigrant visa without being sponsored by a spouse or parent.

The difficulties that Dominicans encounter are because of the US government, not the Dominican Government.

S

SPANKY

I might add that it is just a difficult for a Dominican to get a visa in Canada or any other industrialized country. It is interesting that a poll taken several years ago demonstrated that 85 to 90% of ALL Dominicans wanted to leave the island and live some where else (preferably the USA/Canada.Something is terribly wrong when over 2/3 of the population of a country want to live some where else I think.

P

P.T.

Harry, you have opened up a very sensitive subject. To keep my reply short and simple, it is hard to obtain a visa, because the US considers most Dominicans an unskilled and poor people who are in the hope of coming to the USA to obtain free services; this represents and enormous expense for the US in addition to the social problems that it creates,( <--- answer provided by a Dominican). Therefore, they bring no value to the US market. Dominicans have to prove they are economically secure and have skills to enter the US. The INS is the US Immigration and Naturalization Service, the body responsible for screening immigration applicants. Europeans have better possibilities to enter the US because they are considered better educated and economically secure. Regards, PJT

A

A. Nony Mouse

Yes, and so many Americans and Canadians and Europeans want to come here that Dolores has written a book on how to move to the DR. To the best of my knowledge it is selling well.

Something must be terribly wrong in those countries that they want to come to the DR. Try climate, taxes, and loneliness for openers.

As for the Dominicans who want to leave the DR; forgive them Lord for they know not what they do.

A. Nony Moose

L

Loren

Toilet Mafia

I dont want to be construed in any way as defending the INS because they have mad problems as does US policy.

However, more Dominicans emigrate legally to the US than from any european country (according to INS statistics found on their site)

Europeans must also prove economic wherewithal to enter the US. If you are college educated or specially talented, you may get to take advantage of special visa categories for workers in demand. This is equally true for Dominicans and others. Regular joes without special skills may still obtain a lottery immigration visa.

If you are from a country with especially low emigration to the US you may qualify for a "Diversity Visa." Most larger european countries cannot take advantage of this. The only country in this hemisphere that is eligible is the Bahamas.

Now, why do so many Dominicans want to come here? I have had lengthy discussions with many of my Dominican Friends and they all paint the same picture: The village idiot from the old neighborhood makes it over here and gets a menial job doing something nobody else wants to do, cleaning toilets or something. He saves up a little bit of money, and a year later when he goes back home to visit, he is going to cavort around like Thurston Howell or Bill Gates and tell a bunch of lies about how he runs the toilet mafia in New York. He is spending his last dime trying to impress the babes and wearing borrowed clothes.

Now when he goes back to New York, all his peers from the old neighborhood say "Wow, if the village idiot can go to USA and become a big shot, then we can too!" So there you have it.

Now obviously most Dominicans don't fall for this ruse, but enough do.

P

P.T.

Re: Toilet Mafia

Yes, Loren I can agree with you. It is the village idiot telling all his peers (Domincans love to talk)the US streets are paved with gold and money falls out of the windows of Wall Street offices, just to impress them of his accomplishments. That falsehood creates a stress upon the INS to find a fair way to screen the many applicants applying for visas based upon the idiot's tales.

I suggest the US gov't at each foreign office have a instructional short film of real life in the US to show to applicants, (ie.drivers education films). It may provide them with a better overview of what is expected of them, discourage those not prepared to take the adversity of US society. Regards, PJT

S

Susanne

Toilet Mafia

A movie about the facts of living in the states sounds like a good idea to me.

I have a couple of friends that live in what used to be East Germany. Now and again they would watch Dynasty (very hush-hush and secretly) and Dallas and they actually believed that most people in the Western world were living like that. Huge shock there when the realities became all to clear: you have to work hard for what you get. I don't know what is being shown on TV in the DR but maybe this is part of the stuff that some Dominican dreams are made of?

Regards, Susanne

A

A. Nony Mouse

About half the regulars at DR1's now defunct chat room were homesick Dominicans who freely admitted the only reason that they were in the Bronx or Europe was the money. Dominicans from poor families also aspire to have a nice car to drive to the Malecon for a few beers with their frinds, or to pack the family in to go to the beach on Sunday. The trip to the beach includes a cooler full of beer or rum.

Now the dream of the nice car can become a reality in Industrialized countries if he is willing to go deeply into debt. The catch is that he will be jailed for Driving Under the Influence, so what's the point?

A. Nony Mouse

P

P.T.

Re: Movie, facts of living

Facts of living, I believe it would be a great idea. US Gov't commissioned Hollywood during WWII to produced instructional films for the troops and the public. The gov't should now be able to create films providing an accurate overview to present what it is like living in the US. No Beverly Hillbillies.

Name the film, "Living in New York 1999"

Regards, PJT

S

SPANKY

I don't know of any Americans or Canadians who want to come to the Dominican Republic to earn a living! The only ones that I know who live here are expatriates on a retirement pension that may or may not go a little farther than where they lived in the USA and of course there is the Climate, which is wonderful and most of the people are very nice. But to immigrate here and try to make a living.....FORGET IT! That is why Dominicans want out! And you know, I don't blame them. In the USA, your progress is dependent on your skills (both manual and mental) but in the Dominican Republic, it does not make any difference about your qualifications if you do not have the proper connections. There are many in position of authority who do not have the qualifications to be there while those who are qualified languish. I actually had a Dominican in California, who was visiting, remark, "god, you really have to work hard for your money!" I told him Americans WORK hard, but we also PLAY hard at the proper times. This concept came as a total shock to him.And I also know another Domincan who lives in NYC and works at two fast food chains (part time at both)and returned to the DR and RENTED a big car for a week and put it on a borrowed credit card simply to make an impression on the "old neighborhood!" There are many more and these are not hearsay stories but people that I actually know. You say of those that want to leave.....forgive them for they know now what they do...... I ask you, where do they have the better opportunity....the DR or the USA/Canada? May I remind you that the largest source of money inflow into the Dominican Republic is from Dominicans in the States sending money home to help their family! And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But that is exactly why they want and need to immigrate. I won't bother to mention the ammenities.

S

scaramooch

Your right Loren, and the typical lazy Dominican thinks dollars grow on trees and if anything else he hears about his other freinds in the US that are hanging around street corners selling dope and making all kinds of money, or running a scam.

S

scaramooch

Susane, TV is very misleading to people that are not well traveled, those soap operas that are in television are fantasies. American television portrays mega rich people with petty every day problen while making a big deal of it, and the poor person watching this farce would only hope he had those problems too along with the money.Mexican television shows european looking type on their soap opers when in fact 90% of Mexico are of a mixed Indian race. So you see tv is a powerfull tool to fool ignorant people.

S

scaramooch

PJT, also they pose the threat of hanging around street corners and playing dominoes, and selling dope.

S

scaramooch

Nony Moose, those foreigners that are seeking refuge in the DR are not going there to eck out a living as oppose the the Dominicans that leave there for the US, of course there are some investors but these ex-pats that go there is because the cost of living is a lot cheaper then where they came from, specially if you are retired and living on a fixed income, and can,t afford the wine, women, and songs like you use to back in your old country, central America if full of all these people and they are there for one reason or another after the weighed the pros and cons of being there.

S

scaramooch

Spanky, you said a mouth full, and I agree with you , now the only t problem is how long this thread is going to stay on untill Dolores deletes it, as they being "numero uno" on the DR on the information superhighway, and purveyor of tourist info, anything negative is not to their best interest.

A

A. Nony Mouse

I came to the DR and worked hard side by side with Dominicans for 10 years. This board regularly has posts from Europeans and North Americans looking for jobs in the DR. Granted, I would have made more money in the USA or Canada. It was a quality of life decision.

Most of the people who I have met who want to emmigrate to the US or elsewhere do not speak the language of the host country and have no marketable skills. Under these circumstances it is hard for them to get a visa, and even harder to find a decent job. As you have noted from the individual who rented a car to impress his friends, they don't always live better away from the DR. For those that have a burning desire to succeed and are willing to go to a new country to pull themselves up by the bootstraps, God Bless them.

A. Nony Moose

P

P.T.

A. Nony Moose, your right about those Dominicans that do not have the language of the host country or the marketable skills, that it is hard for them to obtain a visa or find a decent job. I have a great respect for those who immigrate to a host country and have the burning desire to succeed legitimately. Because, they will succeed. I have a problem with any immigrant that does not have the (burning) desire to succeed, would rather live as a parasite in the host country. This is the reason for the screenings by the INS or the same body in any host country. Yet, there is no perfect way to screen. The host country has to handle the cards in the manner they were shuffled. I agree, God Bless those with a burning desire. Regards, PJT

J

James

I would like to add my two cents worth.My wife is a Dominican,and we are now in the middle of her immagrating to the states.It has been a long road.I need to work so we are apart and it has not been fun for either of us.Anyway one of the things that really impressed me is how my wife looks at the states as the land of opportunity. As an american I forgot that and it is exciting too see that dream in someone.I have been to the Dominican Republic and I really like the country.I thought Montana was poor but I learned alot,as my wife will when she gets here.This country was once the land of opportunity to our forefathers and it still is to some today.

J

jerry

I agree. I have listen to those in the past complain about how those foriegners (mostly Asian backgrounds) all get ahead because of the hand outs. But yet I watch the Asians. One person will leave his family behind go to a country where he does not know the language. He will devote all his time for working. He will save his money and send of the second person in the family. I have looked at these families and each member has thier purpose. They share a goal and are focused on that goal. They have a work ethics and see the Americas (US or Canada) as a land of opertunity. The funny thing is the person doing the complaining, works 8 hours then parks in front of the TV and drinks beer all night. Now do not get me wrong. If that is what you want, then so be it. But do not complain about those who knows what needs to be done and do it. I dont think they spend their nights in front of the TV or drinking beer, it does help accomplish their goals. just my 2 cents. But if they have the dream, desire and work ethics then I wish them all the luck. But I know they will make their own luck. Jerry