Boca Chica Experience

boricua_nyc

Jan 2, 2005
Our experience (my wife and I) in Boca Chica was very memorable. Both for the hospitality of the people (including our hosts at the Hotel Zapata) as well as for the pervasiveness of the local prostitution.

We stayed at the Hotel Zapata because of all the good reviews we read about at this forum as well as on tripadvisor.com (not to mention its proximity to the beach). We agree that the hotel is very clean and well maintained even though the furnishings are a little dated. The owners, Martha and Robert, treat the guests so familial that it has a B&B feel. The staff as well are very accommodating and cater to your every need. On the week that we were there, most of the guests would converge at the bar before dinner to share a few drinks before moving on with their respective plans.

We happened to get moved (for our first night) to another property that the owners built at the far extreme of town due to our room having a plumbing problem. The hotel was called the San Gabriel (?) and it was really a classy place. The rooms in this property were very new with a pool on site. If this property had access to the beach we may have stayed there for our entire week. This would have been a mistake since we would have missed out on the Hotel Zapata experience.

The beach was awesome. I loved how the lagoon created such a large swimming pool like feel. The beach vendors were mild and were easy to dismiss with a ?No Gracias?. The beach in front of the Hotel Zapata (probably goes for all beach front properties) was cleaned every night and ready to go first thing in the morning.

The night life was a little disappointing from the perspective of a married couple looking to socialize with others on vacation. The night life in town seemed overwhelmingly dominated by single men and working girls. We patronized the three clubs in town but were very disappointed. The two clubs located on Duarte Avenue were just another venue for single men to meet working girls. The third was at the Hamaca AI resort. We were most disappointed with this club because we thought that it would have been patronized by the same couples that were hanging out on the beach. Instead it was full of teenagers. There were a few working girls with their dates. The best I could figure is that the cover at the Hamaca paid itself off when you factor in the free drinks.

The stay was very pleasant (despite the lack of social life for couples) because of the weather, the hospitality of the locals, the beach and the Hotel Zapata.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
should have done more research

boricua_nyc said:
Our experience (my wife and I) in Boca Chica was very memorable. Both for the hospitality of the people (including our hosts at the Hotel Zapata) as well as for the pervasiveness of the local prostitution.

We stayed at the Hotel Zapata because of all the good reviews we read about at this forum as well as on tripadvisor.com (not to mention its proximity to the beach). We agree that the hotel is very clean and well maintained even though the furnishings are a little dated. The owners, Martha and Robert, treat the guests so familial that it has a B&B feel. The staff as well are very accommodating and cater to your every need. On the week that we were there, most of the guests would converge at the bar before dinner to share a few drinks before moving on with their respective plans.

We happened to get moved (for our first night) to another property that the owners built at the far extreme of town due to our room having a plumbing problem. The hotel was called the San Gabriel (?) and it was really a classy place. The rooms in this property were very new with a pool on site. If this property had access to the beach we may have stayed there for our entire week. This would have been a mistake since we would have missed out on the Hotel Zapata experience.

The beach was awesome. I loved how the lagoon created such a large swimming pool like feel. The beach vendors were mild and were easy to dismiss with a ?No Gracias?. The beach in front of the Hotel Zapata (probably goes for all beach front properties) was cleaned every night and ready to go first thing in the morning.

The night life was a little disappointing from the perspective of a married couple looking to socialize with others on vacation. The night life in town seemed overwhelmingly dominated by single men and working girls. We patronized the three clubs in town but were very disappointed. The two clubs located on Duarte Avenue were just another venue for single men to meet working girls. The third was at the Hamaca AI resort. We were most disappointed with this club because we thought that it would have been patronized by the same couples that were hanging out on the beach. Instead it was full of teenagers. There were a few working girls with their dates. The best I could figure is that the cover at the Hamaca paid itself off when you factor in the free drinks.

The stay was very pleasant (despite the lack of social life for couples) because of the weather, the hospitality of the locals, the beach and the Hotel Zapata.
You should have stayed in Juan Dolio or Punta Cana for the AI experience.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I second the motion...

I stayed in Boca Chica from 25 Dec. To the 29th. The Hotel Zapata is cool and I love the proximity to the beach. But if you are married and go with your wife you will not enjoy the nightlife. Boca Chica at night sucks, there is no other way to put it. And if you want to meet other travellers that is not the place to go. I want to add to your experience that everyone I met outside the hotel was a hustler and I was more than happy to get the hell out of Dodge and spend some time in the capital.

PuertoRican2

Dec 20, 2004
DR is great

boricua_nyc
im glad that you had a good time at Boca Chica , the dominican republic is a beatuiful country to tell you the truth i like the dominican republic beter than my own country Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico is also beautiful but there is too much crime i feel more beter in the DR. I went to casa de campo, dominican republic its a beautiful place located at the province of La Romana. I love the dominican music the merengue

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Actually it doesn't

Berzin said:
But if you are married and go with your wife you will not enjoy the nightlife. Boca Chica at night sucks, there is no other way to put it. And if you want to meet other travellers that is not the place to go. I want to add to your experience that everyone I met outside the hotel was a hustler and I was more than happy to get the hell out of Dodge and spend some time in the capital.

Frankly the more whining Nancy's that stay away from Boca Chica the better but for an adult with an ounce of backbone there is nothing wrong with Boca Chica insofar as places to eat and drink and be entertained without, gasp!, being drawn into the wily clutches of street girls.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
It's not the whining Nancys, Rick..

ricktoronto said:
Frankly the more whining Nancy's that stay away from Boca Chica the better but for an adult with an ounce of backbone there is nothing wrong with Boca Chica insofar as places to eat and drink and be entertained without, gasp!, being drawn into the wily clutches of street girls.

it's people like YOU who think that that cesspool called Boca Chica passes for anything like a vacation spot. With all of the monos hanging out at every single eating or drinking establishment bothering tourists and all of the hookers only a slug would find this environment palatable. Only a rat would find paradise here, so you can keep Boca Chica and keep yourself marinating in its venereal diseases.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Berzin said:
it's people like YOU who think that that cesspool called Boca Chica passes for anything like a vacation spot. With all of the monos hanging out at every single eating or drinking establishment bothering tourists and all of the hookers only a slug would find this environment palatable. Only a rat would find paradise here, so you can keep Boca Chica and keep yourself marinating in its venereal diseases.

Berzin, or may I call you Nancy, what are monos? In Spanish it means lovelies so that sounds quite good actually. I am sure that there are as many or more venereal diseases in the capital so use a rubber.

The best news is that you aren't going back so that means a bit of a success for the monos, I must say.

Really to others, unless you are in the womens temperance league or a prude if you cannot tolerate some strumpets here and there you should avoid a great deal of the third world and 90% of Latin America. For others with a less thin skin, Boca Chica is a safe, affordable place with a nice beach and a crazy, at times, atmosphere that is not anywhere near as bad as Nancy says.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
if the hookers aint your things...and they are not mine...i agree...B.C. is an affordable safe and easy trip from nyc. Sure the nightlife sucks..my friends there always wants to go to the clubs in the capital at night...but i have no need for that. I live in NYC and have the best clubs at my disposal (but i dont even enjoy that here).

I basicaly go to b.c. cuz i like the beach..i love the lagoon..i like swimming out to matica every day and snorkeling and hanging out with some of the locals out there. and then when i need a break from the beach i can do a day trip to the capital or do one of the touristy day trips (heh..i have yet to do that).

I was kinda surprised that durring my last trip that there actualy quite a few families hanging out on duarte late at night. As long as you dont sit in front of the disco the girls will pretty much leave you alone.

WE would also spend a lot of time hanging out with DJ Flaco at that other bar with the pool tables in the back. Heh...beware playing pool with the locals...i play in some leagues here in nyc...the rules there are much different....as in there werent any lol.

IF you were traveling with a family...then yeah..i think staying at the don juan would be a good idea. THey have some entertainment on the beach at night that looks pretty safe for the whole family.

I personaly would love to go up north and meet ya'll in sosua....but i only can barely afford to go once a year...so i go where i know people.

I dont need much on vacation...the beach...a presidente...and i am happy. as soon as i hit the lotto tho...WATCH OUT!!

LauraP

Jan 10, 2005
A Canadian's Two Cents Worth

Hi all,

A few years back my family & I travelled many times to Puerto Plata & Sosua. At the time, we loved it! At this time, we also travelled many times to the Bahamas and Barbados as well.

Well, I re-married in 2002 and went back to the DR. We went to Punta Cana and had one of the worst vacations of my life. Won't bother you with the details at this point.

My 'new' husband kept constantly talking about a vacation he took to 'Boca Chica' and great it was. Well, last year he talked me into it and 'SURPRISE', ... I had one of the BEST vacations ever!! At the same time, my two (now grown) daughters travelled to Puerto Plata, and besides the excursions, were very disillusioned.

In two weeks, the four of us are going back to BC. Last time we stayed at the Don Juan and this time we're staying at the DBR (formerly BCR). On our vacation last year, we never laughed so much while on vacation.

Of course, we used common sense at night, but our daily shopping trips in the village were the highlight. We met so many friends, including 'Terry', who helped us immensely at the far end (more public) area of the beach and all he wanted for his trouble was a cigarette. Also, the guys who brought us a 'Presidente' and wanted to show us 'Paradise' (sorry forgot the names) but they loved 'CANADA'.

I'm a cappucino addict and the village cappucino bar (smallest I've ever seen), served the BEST I've ever tasted.

I should also mention the staff at the DJR. Two of our servers (Joana Perez and another girl), came on our last morning in tears, bringing us coffee and rum to take home.

I have packed and unpacked already this week and we're counting the days to January 29th. Long story short (sort of), .... life is what you make it! And we 'made' Boca Chica one of our favorite destinations 'ever'!!!!

Laura

LauraP

Jan 10, 2005
Thanks RickT

Hey, ... if I still lived in Ontario, my name could be LauraMississauga. We'd be nieghbours!! ;)

ricktoronto said:
Living proof that we need more Laura's and way less Nancy's.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I would not say that, but.....

ricktoronto said:
Living proof that we need more Laura's and way less Nancy's.
ricktoronto, you are right in some of your posts about Boca Chica.

I have found out, over the years, that a vacation is what you make of it. Some people can turn the worse vacation into the most lovely one. Some can't and those are the ones that are always criticizing. For some, Boca Chica is only good because of the beach and when they find out that there isn't much more, they let their vacation fall apart because they stay there feeling sad instead of getting into a cab and take a few minutes drive to the capital where they can find great discos, cafes, malls and things to see. If they still are not happy, drive to La Romana or Puerto Plata, don't just stay in one place if you are not happy.

If I want a nice beach, I go to Boca Chica, if I want to go to a nice disco, I go to the capital, if I want to go to a nice cafe, I will go to plaza Espana, if you want to play with the "lovelies", then you go to any place place that is frequented by tourists( beaches, AI, discos, etc).

People should just try and make the best out of things but some are just afraid to try or just give up to easy. I went to Puerto Rico to see an ex-college classmate, a few years ago and it rained the whole 7 days that I was there and to me, it was a great vacation because I did EVERYTHING that I planned. Went to the beaches, took long walks, went to the parks, went sightseeing, went to dinner, went to discos, everything. No rain is going to stop me from having a good vacation. Besides, I am yet to know of a person that was killed by water drops, lol. You can drop me in the worse barrio in the DR, or in the world for that matter, and I will make it a good vacation because only I will be to blame if I don't make it a good one, JMHO. With that said, I have to get me some cofffe since I am on a one day vacation, lol.

Willie

Sep 30, 2004
miguel said:
ricktoronto, you are right in some of your posts about Boca Chica.

I have found out, over the years, that a vacation is what you make of it. Some people can turn the worse vacation into the most lovely one. Some can't and those are the ones that are always criticizing. For some, Boca Chica is only good because of the beach and when they find out that there isn't much more, they let their vacation fall apart because they stay there feeling sad instead of getting into a cab and take a few minutes drive to the capital where they can find great discos, cafes, malls and things to see. If they still are not happy, drive to La Romana or Puerto plata, don't just stay in one place is you anot happy.

If I want a nice beach, I go to Boca Chica, if I want to go to a nice disco, I go to the capital, if I want to go to a nice cafe, I will go to plaza Espana, if you want to play with the "lovelies", then you go to any place place that is frequented by tourists( beaches, AI, discos, etc).

People should just try and make the best out of things but some are just afraid to try or just give up to easy. I went to Puerto Rico to see an ex-college classmate, a few years ago and it rained the whole 7 days that I was there and to me, it was a great vacation because I did EVERYTHING that I planned to do. Went to the beaches, took long walks, went to the parks, went sightseeing, went to dinner, went to discos, everything. No rain is going to stop me from having a good vacation. Besides, I am yet to know of a person that was killed by water drops, lol. You can drop me in the worse barrio in the DR, or in the world for that matter, and I will make it a good vacation because only I will be to blame if I don't make it a good one, JMHO. With that said, I have to get me some cofffe since I am on a one day vacation, lol.

Well said

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Well, thanks!

Willie said:
Well said
Muchas gracias Willie. If only all can be so understanding. But, I am sorry to say, many tourists (including some close friends) have the mentality that "I paid good money for this vacation so I was specting the best of everything" not knowing that they are visiting a third world country that is a true paradise.

The good thing about the DR is that it has "something' for ALL. Some just have to drive a little in order to get it. I can assure you and everybody that WHATEVER a person needs while vacationing in the DR, THEY CAN FIND. Maybe not around the corner, but whatever you need, the DR has it!!!!.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
LauraP's post was SOOOO refreshing!!! It is nice to see that someone can appreciate B.C. and not just for the "chica chasing". Sure it isnt the prettiest or idylic spot in the carib or in the the DR. But i have always managed to have a great time there.

One can always jump on a guagua if one wants a quieter and prettier beach. ANd then one can always head in the other direction on a guagua and check out S.D.

yeah...the night life in B.C. is pretty cheesy...but its all what you make of it. My buddy and i would just sit back in one of the restaraunts and just watch from afar.

2 years ago when i was there solo...i met an awesome greek couple from the boston area (who actualy got married in my home town)..i had a BALL with them.

again..its all what you make of it when you are there. My favorite day while in B.C. HAS to be sunday....when the locals come out and get down on the beach. Sure it gets crowded...but in a good way.

well...5 weeks to go here.....if anyone else is going to be in the area...let me know!!!!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
el gringo 762 said:
until business' in the boca chica area take some type of civic action against child prostitution the facts should not be sugar coated by tourists trying to save a buck.

these business' are no different than the a pimp, as they generate profits at the expense of these young people.

the beach sucks, the place is full of drunks and going there for vacation is like telling your friends you visited Hollywood when you actually spent your time in a Compton crack house.

i have officially expelled boca nalga (formerly chica) from my island...

WEll..i have never seen child prostitution going on there....i wouldnt doubt it exists...but i just have never witnessed it. Sure..there are a ton of working girls that pretty much stick to the disco area...but they leave you alone if you aint interested.

ANd i kinda like the beach! i love the shallow and calm waters and snorkling out by the reef. ANd the beach is actualy pretty quiet most days (except for sunday). I have never seen any major drunks on the beach...tourists durring the week...and pretty much local family day on sunday.

My only complaint about BC is that big industrial port a few miles down the coast.

WEll....i am booked for feb 24th....this will probably be my last trip there for awhile. I think i should start exploring other places soon.

Willie

Sep 30, 2004
It's difficult to see what all the fuss is about. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to come to Boca Chica. You don't like it , then leave. Simple as that. Its funny that people leave their "developed" countries, come to third world countries to exploit cheap labor etc. and then complain about the conditions.

You want nice and clean? You want not to be bothered by vendors? Then go pay the A1 prices. You want to experience Dominican life, then places like Boca is the place to be. Also venture out into the countryside a bit.

I dont think that anyone here condones child prostitution, but prostitution is everywhere. It might just be a bit cheaper in Boca.

Willie

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Errr...doesn't mono translate as monkey?
That's really not nice.....even tho some may behave like one LOL.....

I agree on the "get on the bus and get thee to SD", however for more timid types this is not an option, what with the CRIME WAVE and all!!

Research research research......and being at PP AI does not circumvent being approached by Sankies/ettes....they are on the beach, and around on the streets at Playa Dorada. My Dad was asked of he wanted suckie suckie cheepie cheepie while walking back to the hotel from the beach. It's everywhere in every country - sometimes just not as visible.

There are grrls in white thigh high boots just a few blocks from where I live. And some hot boyz on another street. If it bothers you then go somewhere else.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Where are you when I need you, RickToronto?

el gringo 762 said:
until business' in the boca chica area take some type of civic action against child prostitution the facts should not be sugar coated by tourists trying to save a buck.

these business' are no different than the a pimp, as they generate profits at the expense of these young people.

the beach sucks, the place is full of drunks and going there for vacation is like telling your friends you visited Hollywood when you actually spent your time in a Compton crack house.

i have officially expelled boca nalga (formerly chica) from my island...

Sick 'em, Rick!!! He's dissing your paradise on earth!!!! El Gringo, you could'nt be any more right if you TRIED. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Boca Chica needs to be blown the hell up.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Berzin said:
Sick 'em, Rick!!! He's dissing your paradise on earth!!!! El Gringo, you could'nt be any more right if you TRIED. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Boca Chica needs to be blown the hell up.

It is not paradise on Earth, nor apparently a place for the weak and simple to go to either.