Travelling with children without their parents

paradise

Oct 18, 2004
Hi,
I'll call the consulate tomorrow, but after my last experience a few months ago (before the rules changed) was such a frustrating experience (the answer was different depending who I talked to), I am hoping some DR1 might know from experience.
I am travelling with my 13 year old niece. The rules have change now you need the notorization and authorization for consulate if they are under 18 yrs. old. without parent.
When I called the consulate a few months ago they told me if I need a notarization, the parent of the child would have to come in person to the consulate. I was later told since she was 13, we didn't need one. But now the rules have changed- Does anyone know does this have to be in person? I saw on the UK and Canadian DR consulate web sites, you can mail it in and have it "legalized" at the consulate for $75, it does not have to ne notasrized there. They did not tell me this option when I called the consulate in New York, they said she had to go in person, but then I got a slighty different story depending on who I talked to. We are over 1,000 miles away from a consulate.
Has anyone had to do this before?
Thanks in advance!

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Travelling with Children

Hello.

I can only pass on to you the information that pertained to our travelling companions situation. If the rules are different than what I know they had to do, than I am sure that there will be another kind poster who will correct this.

The couple that we travelled with last, being that the children were of a different last name, and one of the adults were not the legal parent, had to have a notarized letter, signed by the legal guardian of the children, which was done by a local lawyer.

They then contacted the Dominican Consulate in Toronto, and filled out the appropriate forms there, and had the documentation mailed to them. I know that they also paid an extra fee to have the documentation sent by courier.

The children did not have to attend, nor did the legal guardian that signed the notarization.

Everything went smoothly, and they had no problems what so ever when they travelled.

I hope this gives you a little bit of insight, and good luck.

Cheers
Jimmy
www.fiesta.webcentre.ca