We are flying to Puerto Plata, DR on Sunday..

Chellie & Marty

Jan 3, 2005
Hello Everyone..

We are flying out to Puerto Plata on Sunday (01/09) from the rainy, cold UK, for a Holiday of a lifetime.. Well thats what we were hoping for - allthough the weather seems to be poor at the moment. There's nothing we can do about the weather I know, but can anyone tell us exactly what it's like? Will we need to bring umberella's, jackets? Will we come home with a tan??!! How bad are the mosquitos at the moment...
If anyone can shed some light on things for us that would be great. Im getting conflicting stories at the moment....

Thanks for your time.

Chellie - Winchester, Hampshire, UK

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Hi there. I live in Puerto Plata & as I type this, it is pouring with rain. However, it is a lot warmer than uk. Temperature about 24C which is roughly 74F.
Yes bring small umbrella & lightweight rainjacket so you can still walk around if it is raining when you are here. It was sunny this morning, so you would have been able to sunbathe then. We have had rain in afternoon & night for about a week now. It may all be over by the time you get here, but even if it isn't, there will be periods of sun in between the showers. And a pair of strong trainers may be useful, sandals are not advisable in the rain we get here.

Chellie & Marty

Jan 3, 2005
:cry: Ok, well thankyou for that.
I am not gonna let it get me down though.. it could be far, far worse.
Hopefully the weather will improve for everyone.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Your trip

Hello Chellie,

The weather here is awefull at the moment. It is pouring rain. I do think though that this will end. Hopefully it will beautiful and sunny by the time you get here.

Bring an umbrella anyway, a light jacket as Lambada suggests, yes we will have a mosquito problem. NO we do not have a malaria problem but you will want good repellant. Do not expect to buy it here. You want good repellant buy it at home! Bring shoes you can get wet. It is common to get short downpours inthe late afternoon and early evening so plan for it.

But, don't forget that sunscreen too!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Chellie & Marty said:
:cry: Ok, well thankyou for that.
I am not gonna let it get me down though.. it could be far, far worse.
Hopefully the weather will improve for everyone.

Just an update from the 'Kiss of Death' forecaster here! Since I typed the above post yesterday, it hasn't stopped.............& its raining as well ;) So that's about 16 hours non-stop. Given the less than 5 knots wind I assume this is a stalled out front.
But the good news is, midday Tuesday, DR time (so 4pm yours) the visability is at last improving.......from my study window I can at last barely make out the top of Mount Isabel de Torres. Prior to this cloud base was below top of mountain. It is still raining, but less heavily than earlier.
An added suggestion for your luggage..........motorised pogo stick. Then you can hop around the shops & your feet will be above the water line. At the moment, the trainers I suggested probably won't help you much. This is more wellies weather........& they would look a bit odd packed in a suitcase for the Caribbean!
Do not worry, all of this can change. We'll probably have the Biblical plague of locusts next week......................... :p

Chellie & Marty

Jan 3, 2005
hey planner..

Ive been reading your weather reports!

Thankyou for your response that made us smile!! ;) Wev'e already bought lots of repellent, and sunscreen. Hopefully we'll get to use it!

Chellie :)

Chellie & Marty

Jan 3, 2005
Lambada said:
Just an update from the 'Kiss of Death' forecaster here! Since I typed the above post yesterday, it hasn't stopped.............& its raining as well ;) So that's about 16 hours non-stop. Given the less than 5 knots wind I assume this is a stalled out front.
But the good news is, midday Tuesday, DR time (so 4pm yours) the visability is at last improving.......from my study window I can at last barely make out the top of Mount Isabel de Torres. Prior to this cloud base was below top of mountain. It is still raining, but less heavily than earlier.
An added suggestion for your luggage..........motorised pogo stick. Then you can hop around the shops & your feet will be above the water line. At the moment, the trainers I suggested probably won't help you much. This is more wellies weather........& they would look a bit odd packed in a suitcase for the Caribbean!
Do not worry, all of this can change. We'll probably have the Biblical plague of locusts next week......................... :p
Oh dear lord...... !

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Too funny

Lambada you are nuts!!! Too funny, but it really helps right now to have sense of humour..... what else you going to do....

Yes I think it is breaking. A little while ago I almost saw sky!!! Woooo hooooo.

Wellies: if you are from England bring me some wellies!!! I manage the Tropical Plantation and today I could really use wellies!!!! Gum boots, mud boots, yuckkkkk. I am a ladies 7 if that helps...... anyone bring me some boots.....

Okay enough begging..... I'll save that for another forum

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
planner said:
Wellies: if you are from England bring me some wellies!!! I manage the Tropical Plantation and today I could really use wellies!!!! Gum boots, mud boots, yuckkkkk. I am a ladies 7 if that helps...... anyone bring me some boots.....

Okay enough begging..... I'll save that for another forum

Bugger the wellies, bring me some Colmans English Mustard powder!!!!

Writing this as we've had 3 inches of rain this morning but I'm in shorts and t-shirt.

Forecasts on www.windsofcabarete.com say more of the same for the next week or so......

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
gjsuk said:

Now that COULD give rise to some people thinking that THAT was the prime purpose of wellies...............do not alarm, original poster, we do not have many sheep here!

Actually my daily perusal of the papers tells me it is a vaguada with which we are smitten.
http://elnacional.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=21892

Chellie & Marty, planner is Canadian & really quite petite. They have different sizes from us. If it IS raining next week & you need a good laugh then watch her sloshing around in a pair of size 7s. Room for the sheep as well!
And planner, you can get wellies here..........ever noticed how all the guys on construction sites have them?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Chellie & Marty,
You may have timed it right! We are not out of the woods yet, but the met. forecast on local television this morning, showed the low pressure area had moved further away to the north east. They were still foecasting rain, but in the shape of occasional showers rather than wall to wall water. They also forecast clear mornings but late afternoon & night time showers, of less intensity than recently & less frequently.
So the advice would be, get up early on holiday & do your tanning in the mornings..............then use your wellies & brolly in the late afternoon to go shopping! ;)

JamieD

Jan 5, 2005
Jamie

gjsuk said:

Writing this as we've had 3 inches of rain this morning but I'm in shorts and t-shirt.

Forecasts on www.windsofcabarete.com say more of the same for the next week or so......

I'm coming from Ontario Canada on Sunday, is there anything you need from here? How about some snow?

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
snow!!

JamieD said:
I'm coming from Ontario Canada on Sunday, is there anything you need from here? How about some snow?

Haven't seen that in a while, maybe you could pack some in a zip-lock and put in your carry-on. If it arrives as snow at Puerto Plata I will buy you a large Presidente!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
gjsuk said:
Haven't seen that in a while, maybe you could pack some in a zip-lock and put in your carry-on. If it arrives as snow at Puerto Plata I will buy you a large Presidente!!!

Don't do that!! I hear thieves take the precious snow and leave you nothing but a bag a water.

Remember Ernie and Bert and the ice cubes? :nervous:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
To the intrepid 2 from Winchester,
It was dry & sunny in Puerto Plata this morning until 2 pm, then we had a shower. Cloud base is down on Mount Isabel de Torres again, so we will get more, but as I said above, you'll be able to sunbathe in mornings.............unless of course, everything changes. ;)
BTW so far, plague of locusts has yet to materialise........in insect form, that is.

Chellie & Marty

Jan 3, 2005
Thanks to Everyone...

I'd just like to say a big thank you to everyone that has taken the time to keep us informed. It's been great. I can't wait - although Im not much looking forward to the flight over.. 10 hours on a nasty plane... Im sure it will be worth every minute. Chellie xxx :cool:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
It will be a mixed bag! This time of year we usually get showers every second day even when it is really really nice. They usually don't last long. Seems like the weather forecasters cover their butts with these forecasts.

Don't worry you will have agreat time....

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Chellie & Marty said:

Rather than look at the picture which says 'showers' look at the numbers. The CHANCE of precipitation says 30%, which means there is a 70% chance there won't be. Now if you were gambling people..........those aren't bad odds.
Yesterday we had a shower around 2 pm, it was sunny in the morning. Then from about 6 pm it rained all night. This would really not have a negative impact on your sunbathing, now would it? ;)
Also look at the future trends in your chart. You can see it is progressively improving with 'showers' going to 'cloudy' & the chance of rain coming down to 20%...........which means an 80%.........I needn't finish that, need I?
So as before, get up early, get sunbathing early in the day.........& if you need a list of activities you can undertake whilst it is raining at night, PM me ;)