Shipping a car from Toronto to Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Hi just wondering if anybody has shipped a car from Toronto to Puerto Plata. And if yes how much did shipping cost you? And which company offer shipping service. I dont need to know how much taxes I need to pay, I got that taken care of. Please let me know any Info. Thanks

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Not sure from Toronto, but from NYC or new Jersey area you can get it shipped for about 700 USD. I just had one shipped and it's going to cost me 635 USD from a port in New Jersey. Is it possible for you to get it down to NYC? I think you could save quite a bit of money that way. Try calling these guys at Sea-Land-USA: 908-906-4147 and see what they say.

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
My folks have a container on the way from Toronto to Santo Domingo right now, despite my opposition to the whole operation. They are using Hapag Lloyd to ship and the rout was from T.O. to Halifax (by truck/train) then aboard the ship direct, meaning that the container would stay on the same ship, all the way to Santo Domingo?Don?t send anything to Puerto Plata!!!

Turns out that the ship will not be going to SD due to, I dono some problem with the port or whatever, so it?s going to end up some place here on the North Coast and then the container will be trucked to SD before they can get their hot little hands on them?Just the other day we found out that the ship was diverted to Jamaica and that the container would be transferred there to another ship before getting to the DR.

Jamaica, yeah right!!! Great, at least the shipment is insured and to whoever ends up with the Rover, we just got a recall letter for some critical upgrades that are needed so check with the nearest authorized dealer in your area as you?ll want that checked out ASAP?Didn?t like the color and it?s a monster on gas anyways.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
suarezn said:
Not sure from Toronto, but from NYC or new Jersey area you can get it shipped for about 700 USD. I just had one shipped and it's going to cost me 635 USD from a port in New Jersey. Is it possible for you to get it down to NYC? I think you could save quite a bit of money that way. Try calling these guys at Sea-Land-USA: 908-906-4147 and see what they say.

Thanks to both of you for your help. I will drive the car to jersey, which is not far from Toronto(give or take 6 to 8 hours drive).

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
You're welcome. Let us know how it goes, who you contacted, what documents did you need, how much did it cost, how long did it take, etc...it could help others trying to do the same thing...

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
stallion said:
Hi just wondering if anybody has shipped a car from Toronto to Puerto Plata. And if yes how much did shipping cost you? And which company offer shipping service. I dont need to know how much taxes I need to pay, I got that taken care of. Please let me know any Info. Thanks

Please can you explain what you mean by "you got the taxes taken care of"?

I know somebody who recently paid US$15,000 in taxes to get his car through customs in Santo Domingo.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
suarezn said:

Has it arrived yet suarezn? Has it gone through customs? If so what did you pay in taxes? I've read that it's not worth shipping autos because of the taxes and the time it takes to get it out of customs. Has that changed recently?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Anna: The car is still in transit. My case is a little different as I'm shipping it to my brother (who owns a used car dealership) for him to sell. I got a good deal on it, so I'm expecting to make some money off it. By not shipping it to an individual, but a dealer I will save quite a bit on taxes, since dealers get special tax deductions. In addition we have a guy wo gets all the cars out of customs for my brother and other dealership, who knows how to negotiate the best deals with customs and get all the breaks. I will let you know how much I will end up paying, once it arrives.

I will tell you though, that taxes (in pesos, not dollars) have gone down quite a bit, since the peso gained strength. The taxes are pegged to the USD value. As a result people are shipping tons of cars down to The DR lately.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
suarezn said:
The car is still in transit. My case is a little different as I'm shipping it to my brother (who owns a used car dealership) for him to sell. I got a good deal on it, so I'm expecting to make some money off it. By not shipping it to an individual, but a dealer I will save quite a bit on taxes, since dealers get special tax deductions. In addition we have a guy wo gets all the cars out of customs for my brother and other dealership, who knows how to negotiate the best deals with customs and get all the breaks.

So Suarenzn, can we all arrange to get your brother to BUY our cars from us in US, get them shipped down here by him, put them on to his forecourt & then BUY them back off him plus (say) 20%??? Sounds like a good deal for everyone! I look forward to hearing what taxes you have to pay!! ~ Grahame.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
gjsuk said:

I know somebody who recently paid US$15,000 in taxes to get his car through customs in Santo Domingo.

$15,000 he could have just bought a new car in santo domingo for that. I mean it was not woth paying the shipping and the cost of his car. He should have sold his car back at home and buy new one in dr. And as for your question I cannot answer that on the forum. Once I get my car in I will tell you the magic. Hint It's all about connections. (I will have majority of the taxes taken care of, not all.)

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
stallion said:
$15,000 he could have just bought a new car in santo domingo for that. I mean it was not woth paying the shipping and the cost of his car. He should have sold his car back at home and buy new one in dr. And as for your question I cannot answer that on the forum. Once I get my car in I will tell you the magic. Hint It's all about connections. (I will have majority of the taxes taken care of, not all.)

Absolutely correct, this guy has been one of the more 'colourful' characters to arrive on these shores.....and he always seems to know better.

Please PM me when appropriate to tell me the magic.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
gjsuk said:
Absolutely correct, this guy has been one of the more 'colourful' characters to arrive on these shores.....and he always seems to know better.

Please PM me when appropriate to tell me the magic.

Done........check your pm.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
BushBaby said:
So Suarenzn, can we all arrange to get your brother to BUY our cars from us in US, get them shipped down here by him, put them on to his forecourt & then BUY them back off him plus (say) 20%??? Sounds like a good deal for everyone! I look forward to hearing what taxes you have to pay!! ~ Grahame.

Things can always be arranged if you talk to the right people...Even though is sounds like we're better off talking to Stallion so we can get his secret on how to take care of taxes altogether. As a dealer my brother may be able to get a tax reduction, but not eliminate it altogether...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Be sure to post your experiences after the autos arrive. I haven't heard to many good ones.
I was waiting for wales (the english twit) was his tag line, he said he had connections and everything was taken care of but he hasn't reported as of yet.

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Anna Coniglio said:
Be sure to post your experiences after the autos arrive. I haven't heard to many good ones.
I was waiting for wales (the english twit) was his tag line, he said he had connections and everything was taken care of but he hasn't reported as of yet.

see my post above!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
gjsuk said:

You mean this one? Doesn't sound like a good story to me and that's my point. Some posters say things like ( I have connections) but never come back to tell us what they really ended up paying in taxes. But thanks for that post.

It says what people have been saying for years on DR1 " Don't bother bringing a car" It's cheaper to buy once you're there.

But we'll wait for suarezn he seems to have the real connections ;)

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
:nervous: I have a better trick! Get a job at an embassy in DR and they take care of bringing your stuff, car included! ;)

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
juanita said:
:nervous: I have a better trick! Get a job at an embassy in DR and they take care of bringing your stuff, car included! ;)

Ok, And how easy is it to get a job in the embassy?. I mean I seen the canadian embassy in puerto plata and they only have 3 people working there. If it was that easy everyone on this post would have done it. thanks for the siggestion anyways.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
gjsuk said:

gjsuk,
are you telling us that wales who knew everything before he got here, got done for US$15,000 for ONE car?
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.................................... ;)

Wonder what the horse & the lear jet cost.............

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Anna Coniglio said:
You mean this one? Doesn't sound like a good story to me and that's my point. Some posters say things like ( I have connections) but never come back to tell us what they really ended up paying in taxes. But thanks for that post.

It says what people have been saying for years on DR1 " Don't bother bringing a car" It's cheaper to buy once you're there.

But we'll wait for suarezn he seems to have the real connections ;)

Anna
no I mean this one

Status
Not open for further replies.