Dominicans in New Mexico?

J

jaredhobbs

Just wondering if there were any dominicans in New Mexico. My wife is dominican and we live in Albuquerque, and we haven't run into any dominicans! We'd love to go dance some bachata or merengue some time, but we don't know anyone who knows these dances or who know the culture! Help!

By the way, here's a link to our web pages, complete with lots of pictures!

Jenny's Page
My Page

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
jaredhobbs said:
Just wondering if there were any dominicans in New Mexico. My wife is dominican and we live in Albuquerque, and we haven't run into any dominicans! We'd love to go dance some bachata or merengue some time, but we don't know anyone who knows these dances or who know the culture! Help!

Jenny's Page
My Page

Looks like you were a missionary. I thought I was the only one on here. When and where did you serve?
I was in SAntiago from 1993-95. I married a girl from Santiago. we live in Utah.
Just wondering.

J

jaredhobbs

stewart said:
Looks like you were a missionary. I thought I was the only one on here. When and where did you serve?
I was in SAntiago from 1993-95. I married a girl from Santiago. we live in Utah.
Just wondering.

I actually just got back in april of last year. I served in Santo Domingo East, and married a girl from Villa Mella just one month later.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
jaredhobbs said:
I actually just got back in april of last year. I served in Santo Domingo East, and married a girl from Villa Mella just one month later.

That sounds like me. I got home in june and went back and got married in August. That was in 95.
How is your wife adjusting?

J

jaredhobbs

stewart said:
That sounds like me. I got home in june and went back and got married in August. That was in 95.
How is your wife adjusting?

She's doing awesome. Jenny had never studied English before and now with only 8 months in the states, she's speaking pretty fluently. We're both way happy, and Jenny loves it here in New Mexico. We both miss the country but as soon as her papers go through, we'll be going back to visit. One thing that's kinda hard for her is the lack of dominican friends here. There's tons of mexicans, but its not the same.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
jaredhobbs said:
She's doing awesome. Jenny had never studied English before and now with only 8 months in the states, she's speaking pretty fluently. We're both way happy, and Jenny loves it here in New Mexico. We both miss the country but as soon as her papers go through, we'll be going back to visit. One thing that's kinda hard for her is the lack of dominican friends here. There's tons of mexicans, but its not the same.

I can understand and empathize about the friends. When my wife got here, there were no other Dominicans. More have come since. But she was really lonely for a lot of years.
We're hoping to get back there this summer. It is a little more expensive when you have 3 kids.

theartofbone

Oct 28, 2003
interesting

What a small World... I went from New Mexico to Santo Domingo to study medicine and am back in NM right now till the 17th for vacations (Las Cruces). Heh...

Also, you have a picture album of "Los Trinitarios" in your album. I'm right around the corner, I think.. I've only been in SD for a year but I'm pretty sure my sector, Cancino II is near by.

Hope to hear from you,
Robert

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
jaredhobbs said:

Jenny's Page
My Page

Hi Jarred,
I enjoyed looking at the pics. Great photos of the dominican republic. Job well done. Hope you find dominicans in New mexico.

J

jaredhobbs

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad you guys enjoyed the pics. If I had more time I'd go into photoshop and fix them up, ie adjust contrast, brightness, etc. Most of the DR pics are scans... I'm also in the process of adding comments and descriptions to all the pics.. a lengthy and time consuming task.

To theartofbone, thats crazy that your from Las Cruces. Have you met any dominicans by chance in NM? Oh, and yes, Cancino II is right across the street from Los Trinitarios. Well, across the Mella is Mi Hogar, and Los Trinitarios is right next door.

--
http://jennyhobbs.spymac.net
http://jaredhobbs.spymac.net