rental car vs. car and driver

ESOLteacher

Dec 14, 2004
OK, I am going to be near Samana for three weeks.

At the beginning of week three, two friends from the states will fly into SD and join me.

My options are to hire a driver from Samana to take me to meet them at the airport and return the same day.

Or maybe try to hire someone for the whole week who can drive AND go out dancing bachata with us, as sort of a sankie-guard.

Or that could backfire (where would he sleep anyway?)

Lastly, I could rent a car and drive myself - not the usual American woman driver going to and from the mall. I've been driving for 24 years and in many foreign countries - not scared.

Any feedback on feasibility of all this? Am I being stupid or unreasonable? What would YOU do in this case?

p.d. we want to spend the week in samana/las glaeras/las terenas, the parque and the beach - nature by day, bachata by night........any suggestions?

p.d.d. I am FLUENT in Spanish, and they can just get by.........

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
ESOLteacher said:

At the beginning of week three, two friends from the states will fly into SD and join me.

My options are to hire a driver from Samana to take me to meet them at the airport and return the same day.

Or maybe try to hire someone for the whole week who can drive AND go out dancing bachata with us, as sort of a sankie-guard.

Lastly, I could rent a car and drive myself - not the usual American woman driver going to and from the mall. I've been driving for 24 years and in many foreign countries - not scared.

Any feedback on feasibility of all this? Am I being stupid or unreasonable? What would YOU do in this case?

p.d. we want to spend the week in samana/las glaeras/las terenas, the parque and the beach - nature by day, bachata by night........any suggestions?

If you are not affraid of the road conditions, then it's much cheaper to rent a car and drive your self. Also it's safer to hire the driver because you will be safe that way. Especially if all three of you are women. Your car can brake down anywhere anytime. This leaving you in a dark road all by yourselfs.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Talk with Kim Beddall in Victoria Marine/Whale Samana. The entry to her office is on the side of Camilo Restaurant facing the central park. She will line you up with a reliable driver with a reliable vehicle and help you get the best price. Feel free to tell her that I gave you her name. If you want to email her before you arrive: kim.beddall@usa.net She is not always good about quick responses, so if she doesn't answer your email, see her as soon as you get to Samana.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
ESOLteacher said:

What airport are you referring to? Puerto Plata, Santo Domingo? There are no international flights into Samana's Arroyo Barril or Portillo Airport. (There are domestic flights, though, an option for your friends.)

I would concentrate on the two weeks on the Samana, Las Galeras, Playa Rincon area, and leave Las Terrenas for when your friends come in. They can even fly into Portillo Airfield (from Punta Cana, Puerto Plata or Santo Domingo airports). There is enough to do and explore in that area (Coson-Playa Bonita-Las Terrenas-El Limon) to keep you busy for a week. And there I would suggest you rent a car and get around by yourselves.

Pick up a few guide books and maps -- there is a newspaper (lt-z) and a guide book (info tourism 2005) and rent a jeep and follow the roads to explore. There are so many options in Samana of where to stay and explore, that I think having someone to tag along may be more of a negative than a positive.

For safety would recommend that you do not bring jewelry, keep cash limited to the amount you estimate you will be spending (lots of stores in Samana will only take cash), and use travelers checks that you can cash in banks as you need money. Also, you want the freedom of being able to go in and out of beaches, and some of the beaches have lots of waves, which is not good for jewelry, as it can be washed away. Also recommend that you only travel at night in places that you have already covered. This is because street lighting is poor, signage also. Once you get to know the two or three main roads of Las Terrenas, then I see no problem in going from your hotel to restaurants or discos at night. Just use same precautions you would anywhere in the world.

Gee

Jan 5, 2005
ESOLteacher said:

Until traffic laws begin to be observed I suggest you hire a driver...much safer...

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
Renting versus taxi

I can only speak about my own driving experience in the Dominican Republic ..

Renting a car :

I used to rent a car - (with Hertz being normally a decent company ) but have had bad experiences with renting . Have been 8 times in the Dominican republic for a total of 8 months and my wife is Dominican
On one occasion I did not even arrive in Santo Domingo and I was driving from the Santo Domingo 's airport ..suddenly the car was dead .. and I had to wait for a new car more than one hour ..

On another occasion I got a problem with my rented car in Barahona .. in the south of the Republic .. no longer airconditioning , oil leaking as hell and wipers didn't work any longer .. Had to drive back to the capital to interchange the car and that wasn't pleasant ..

so my recommendation is to find a decent taxi and have your friends picked up at the SD airport ..obviously discuss the price before you do so ..

Maybe there is another solution (some agencies have small buses to bring their clients from the SD airport to the North .. but they might only be doing so if you have reserved all your stay with them -- know that Emily Tours does so ..they are in SD maybe it's worth to give them call ) ..

Locally you can rent a car although roads aren't ideal and you better learn how to change tires being in the dark ... so I would recommend to rent a taxi especially driving at night is risky ..

This is only a personal opinion ..wish you a safe trip

Last edited:

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
ESOLteacher said:

Considering the time and the expense of the options you pose, you should seriously consider having your friends fly AeroDomca [www.aerodomca.com] from the International Airport in Santo Domingo to Portillo [5 minutes west of Las Terrenas]. You can then arrange transport from there rather than driving the approximately four hours one way to SD. The flights on AeroDomca to Portillo range from $55US to $65US one way/person and charters flights can also be arranged. It's a 30 minute flight and, while a bit noisy [its a prop plane, after all], it's a safe and comfortable ride. Paranthetically, driving the roads of Samana, Lemon, and Las Terrenas are not nearly as hazardous as driving in SD, although signage is a problem. Also, the roads are not lighted so I wouldn't try it at night without having familiarized myself with the road during the day first.

ESOLteacher

Dec 14, 2004
WOW! Mil gracias a todos!

Thank you so much for the fantastic advices - I am going to look into it ALL!
Thank you - this forum is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Jet Service??

Hey Ron!

You know of any jet service from South to North? From SDQ to any part of the island, actually.

Not to over shoot your recommendation, but I've had two scarey prop plane situations in the States. And I promised the Lord if I ever got back on the ground I would never do that again. Its been atleast 10 years now.

TEHAMA

ESOLteacher

Dec 14, 2004
Dolores

Dolores said:
Keep track of your experiences and post a trip report when you get back so we know how things went.

Certainly - I absolutely will. And I am so glad that I found this forum - the travel guides were all off on Boca Chica, for one! This forum is such a valuable resource. I am in love with "Sankies 101" and trying to figure out an angle to write an article on Sankies for The New Yorker - I can feel it in my blood. All I need is a run-in with a would be sankie. Just kidding!

yep, trip report WILL be forthcoming!!!!!!!!!!

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
TEHAMA said:
Hey Ron!

You know of any jet service from South to North? From SDQ to any part of the island, actually.

Not to over shoot your recommendation, but I've had two scarey prop plane situations in the States. And I promised the Lord if I ever got back on the ground I would never do that again. Its been atleast 10 years now.

TEHAMA

Sorry Tehama. I doubt very much if there is any jet service within the country. My flight from Portillo to SD was actually in part through rainy and cloudy weather and it wasn't bad at all.

Jesse

*** Spammer! ***
Jan 9, 2005
Will be more fun if you rent a car and explore the beatifull aerea at your on pace. las galeras ,samana are fantastic,
the road condition are not so good , l suggest you to rent a jeep 4x4. try this company adventure car rental www.adventurerentcar.com
l use to rent from then and always a got good expirence.

Jesse

*** Spammer! ***
Jan 9, 2005
Rent a car and explore the beatifull aerea at your on pace

Will be more fun if you rent a car and explore the beatifull aerea at your on pace. las galeras ,samana are fantastic,
the road condition are not so good , l suggest you to rent a jeep 4x4. try this company adventure car rental www.adventurerentcar.com
l use to rent from then and always a got good expirence.