Questions on Punta Cana All Inclusives

SHerzlich

Dec 17, 2004
Hi Everyone -

I'm traveling to the DR for the first time with my wife and kids in February. We're booked into the Bavarro Princess in Punta Cana. Being new to both AI's and the DR, I've got some questions.

I'm trying to learn some Spanish but will know only "un poco" by the time I get down there. Will language be a problem? Also, is there much need for a lot of extra cash, other than for tipping? I get the impression that once you're in one of the AI's that you tend not to leave.

Thanks,

Sandy

Tracy

Jan 23, 2004
SHerzlich said:
Hi Everyone -

I'm traveling to the DR for the first time with my wife and kids in February. We're booked into the Bavarro Princess in Punta Cana. Being new to both AI's and the DR, I've got some questions.

I'm trying to learn some Spanish but will know only "un poco" by the time I get down there. Will language be a problem? Also, is there much need for a lot of extra cash, other than for tipping? I get the impression that once you're in one of the AI's that you tend not to leave.

Thanks,

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Knowing just a little basic Spanish can be helpful. Even just a friendly Hola.
You may come into a situation will there can be a language barrier, but there should not be any problems. I have found that the person working in guest relations is most helpful, more so than the front desk.

I do hope that you do leave the resort, if not you can miss out on what else is out there...There are several tours that are offered from the resort if you don't want to get out on your own.

You shouldn't need a lot of extra cash, but if you do any tours they will run 50.00 - 85.00 per person.

Tracy

becky27

Jun 16, 2004
hi

once you are there you dont need to spend any cash, unless you wish to do something which is not part of the AI package. This is normally activities like water sports provided by outside agencys.

We tend to tip the workers who we get on with because they are on such low pay and work such long hours. they are always happy. for example we were tipping around ?3-5 which to us wasnt alot of money but to them it is loads. I know this can add up but when you think of the service that you get and how they dont moan, they are always happy to help no matter what time of the day or night.

Be warned that the excursions can add up in cost but it is well worth it. I must recommend the Monster Trucks. You get to see more of the island and how they live.

On my first trip i only knew a few spanish words from school, and it was european spanish. Take advantage of the free spanish lessons when you are there. You will find especially with the waiters etc that they are willing to help with spanish words because they then learn english. We had great fun trying to teach/learn the words.

But the main thing i would say is learn how to say hello and thank you. If in doubt smile.

If you want to know any more let me know. We go to Punta Cana alot and find the people both inside and outside the hotel very friendly.

SHerzlich

Dec 17, 2004
becky27 said:
hi

once you are there you dont need to spend any cash, unless you wish to do something which is not part of the AI package. This is normally activities like water sports provided by outside agencys.

We tend to tip the workers who we get on with because they are on such low pay and work such long hours. they are always happy. for example we were tipping around ?3-5 which to us wasnt alot of money but to them it is loads. I know this can add up but when you think of the service that you get and how they dont moan, they are always happy to help no matter what time of the day or night.

Be warned that the excursions can add up in cost but it is well worth it. I must recommend the Monster Trucks. You get to see more of the island and how they live.

On my first trip i only knew a few spanish words from school, and it was european spanish. Take advantage of the free spanish lessons when you are there. You will find especially with the waiters etc that they are willing to help with spanish words because they then learn english. We had great fun trying to teach/learn the words.

But the main thing i would say is learn how to say hello and thank you. If in doubt smile.

If you want to know any more let me know. We go to Punta Cana alot and find the people both inside and outside the hotel very friendly.

Becky -

Hi - thanks for the response. This is our first trip to Punta Cana so I know nothing of the area. Is there anything outside of the AI that you'd recommend as a "must do"? I'm going down with my wife and two sons (17 & 13).

Sandy