Interesting Reading

Jim Driscoll

Jan 4, 2002
I have begun to read a book titled, "The Dictator Next Door, 'The good neighbor policy and the Trujillo Regime in the Dominican Republic' 1930-1945", by Eric Paul Roorda. For those of you interested in the development of the Trujillo regime and some interesting history regarding the US policies in the Dominican Republic this is good reading.

Dominicans and those of us who visit the Dominican Republic can learn a great deal about the country's recent history and what has lead to the development of the Republic as it exists today.

El Americano

*** Sin Bin ***
Dec 10, 2004
Other Books

Hi Jim,

Would like to add to your booklist 3 items, Feast of the Goat, Why the Cock Fights, and A History of Hispanola (Amazon). I've been lurking and observing and I must tell you intellectual conversation is not as valued as colorful sex stories, gossip, or displays of classism but told "correctly" to placate sensitive ears. Did not want to reveal my plan of "knowing more to argue less" before returning to full participation but I appreciated the book tip and thought you might too. I just hope issues of race, class, and education will be tolerated once I complete my reading....I think I will post stuff in the political forum if there is such a thing.....will that be ok Anna and Chris?

Jim Driscoll said:
I have begun to read a book titled, "The Dictator Next Door, 'The good neighbor policy and the Trujillo Regime in the Dominican Republic' 1930-1945", by Eric Paul Roorda. For those of you interested in the development of the Trujillo regime and some interesting history regarding the US policies in the Dominican Republic this is good reading.

Dominicans and those of us who visit the Dominican Republic can learn a great deal about the country's recent history and what has lead to the development of the Republic as it exists today.