Help! What kind of stomach bug is this?

chconkl

Sep 23, 2004
I just returned from Las Terrenas where I was vacationing with three others. To make a long story short, we all got some kind of evil stomach bug--some more severely than others. This involved fever and chills and aches and then cramping and extreme diarreah. We are all back in the US now, but are still experiencing some symptoms. The woman who ran our hotel told us that she also had the same thing, so it doesn't seem to be just some American intolerance to the food or water. Will this go away or should we see doctors? Any one know what this is? One of my friends is still pretty ill.

Thanks!

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Did you all eat fish? If so, you might do a search for 'ciguatera' in the search function. Maybe you will recognize the symptoms.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
It's definitely not ciguatera. You obviously need professional medical attention.

Mirador

chconkl

Sep 23, 2004
Thanks for the replies. I read the thread on ciguatera and it sounds more severe than what I have. I guess I'm just wondering if this will pass or should I see a doctor? I'm guessing see a doctor, but I hate to take more time off from my job to do this. Anyway...thanks again.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
chconkl said:
Thanks for the replies. I read the thread on ciguatera and it sounds more severe than what I have. I guess I'm just wondering if this will pass or should I see a doctor? I'm guessing see a doctor, but I hate to take more time off from my job to do this. Anyway...thanks again.

You could have Giardiasis and yes you'd see a doctor about that as it won't go away on its own.

chconkl

Sep 23, 2004
Giardiasis sounds more like it, although the symptoms showed up more quickly than the definition of the illness seems to indicate. To the Doctor I go! Thanks. We're just all kind of suffering here. Two of us also have this weird red rash on our chest and arms. could just be sun, I guess.

I should say, I had a great time. I was more than a little disturbed, however, about the extreme poverty I witnessed on the 3-hr ride from the airport. I've traveled in the 3rd World before, but this seemed extreme by my standards. It seemed a little odd to have a guard outside the hotel.

Then again...I only spent a week in the DR, so what do I know? :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That is not "extreme"

Extreme is when kids don't go to any school; when there is no food on the table; extreme is when there is dispair.

What you saw was Dominican faarmers and farm laborers, for the most part. They are not rich by any means, but they get by, you'd be surprised..

As for you illness, I would definately take stool samples with you for the lab to look at. Be sure to tell them you wee in a tropical country. You could have a form of amoebic(?) dissentary(?) -yeah, I know, but I am too lazy to pick up the dictionary...

This is what waylaid Jason Giambi, but do take precautions. Not fatal but you need attention. Normal stomach problems go away in a few days, since the body knows how to cleasne itself..

HB:D

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
chconkl said:
Giardiasis sounds more like it, although the symptoms showed up more quickly than the definition of the illness seems to indicate. To the Doctor I go! Thanks. We're just all kind of suffering here. Two of us also have this weird red rash on our chest and arms. could just be sun, I guess.

See a doctor right away. The red rash can be a symptom of Dengue fever, having had it in September I know of what I speak.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
ricktoronto said:
See a doctor right away. The red rash can be a symptom of Dengue fever, having had it in September I know of what I speak.

I absolutely agree. This sounds more like dengue than giardia but BOTH need an immediate visit to a doctor. If the rash goes in a day or two but the other symptoms remain, plus you don't really feel like eating, then it will be sounding more & more like dengue. It is really important to keep your electrolytes level up, plenty of fluids preferably of the rehydration variety. The doctor can do a test to check for dengue. Please go to him/her NOW.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you haven't already, see a doctor immediately. Tell you have been told on this message board that it could be dengue or guardia. Your doctor may not be familiar with these ailments, especially dengue, so stress you want to be referred if necessary to whereever they can check for them.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Amazed.

This really begs the question and while I am glad someone asked here for advice, just how long with the pukes, uncontrollable shi*s and a red rash all over your body would you wait , after visiting a trocpial country with dubious hygenic standards, to see a doctor without asking a dozen people's opinion first?

Is the health care system and HMO system in the US so dodgy that you would rather NOT go when you are sick?

To the OP - go to a clinic that specializes in traveller's medicine, as most family doctors know diddly-squat about either Giardisis or Dengue.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Right on, Rick. Also glad to know I need not have worried about you mellowing in your old age. ;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Actually, Rick, there are people who LIVE here on north coast, who have done so for a number of years & who still do not get medical help immediately when they have these symptoms, preferring to ask............guess who?

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Well, these nasty ailments are not resticted to the DR. I contracted Giardiasis here in T.O. from bottled water. Doc asked if I had travelled recently.....nope - ironically my trip to the DR was booked for about 2 weeks following all this. Bottom line, get thee to a practioner, cuz it will NOT go away on it's own. It's nasty, the weight loss was easy albeit not required.

Re hygiene levels: although it may appear that the hygiene is lacking, I find that not to be so bad. Most Dominicans are cleaner, have immaculately kept homes (even with dirt floors) and are more freshly groomed than half the people I work with here.

I have never had food poisoning in the DR (have on other islands and more 'developed places' such as Aruba and Costa Rica. So you never know. A doctor's visit is far more important than your office time.

HN

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
hollywood north said:
Re hygiene levels: although it may appear that the hygiene is lacking, I find that not to be so bad. Most Dominicans are cleaner, have immaculately kept homes (even with dirt floors) and are more freshly groomed than half the people I work with here.

HN

I am not as concerned about Dominicans houses as I am resorts and restaurants and fruit stands using unclean water to wash fruits and vegetables. I never eat lettuce in the DR, as my friend used to say, you can't disenfect lettuce with a blowtorch.

One restaurant in Boca Chica , at Garant used to wash lettuce leaf by leaf in bleached bottled water before serving it. The rest, I doub't anything. I even order BK burgers minus lettuce.

prismaspeck

Aug 29, 2004
chconkl said:
I just returned from Las Terrenas where I was vacationing with three others. To make a long story short, we all got some kind of evil stomach bug--some more severely than others. This involved fever and chills and aches and then cramping and extreme diarreah. We are all back in the US now, but are still experiencing some symptoms. The woman who ran our hotel told us that she also had the same thing, so it doesn't seem to be just some American intolerance to the food or water. Will this go away or should we see doctors? Any one know what this is? One of my friends is still pretty ill.

Thanks!
There is a bug going around the whole country...I've caught it too....you should go see a doctor. I had an appointent today and i have to get some blood tests and stuff just to make sure but my doc said that many many people are getting sick...It's because of the rain and such.

If you ate raw veggies you are likely to have caught it. So just be quick about so you can finally get better

PuertoRican2

Dec 20, 2004
chconkl said:

Thanks!

look im not trying to scare you but you are describing the AIDS symptoms ok i migh be sounding probabaly to dum or something but my someone used to know died of AIDS and i saw all the symptoms in that person from the day he was diagnose with the terribel dieases till the day he died. :cry: