1st time: next week - we want to snorkel and maybe scuba

regina-Duo

Jan 7, 2005
Hi to all, what a fascinating group of people!!

How forunate of me to have stumbled upon you... ok, is that enough sucking up for now?

My wife and I are coming down from Ca-ca-ca-canada (its been -50 lately and C or F doesn't matter at that point) on Tuesday for 7 days. Staying in near Peurto Plata (POP?) at the Victoria Resort A.I.

We have snorkled once before and would like to do so again, but the prospect of spending 6 hours on a boat to dive for 45 minutes isn't appealing. however, if thats what one has to do to dive in a good spot, then so be it. Anyone care to offer up contact info and approximate costs for me? The A.I. includes some snorkle time but I don't know if thats in the pool, shower, puddles left from the rain or if it involves a boat trip. Sand is nice to look at but only if its long enough to see it turn to glass.......

Neither of us have tried scuba before. Again, the A.I. (we are all intending this to mean all inclusive as opposed to artificial intelligence ... right? sankies not withstanding.... ) anyway, the A.I. includes one scuba lesson. Can anyone give me some advice as to where to go to for some safe newbie diving without costing me the arm or leg that would otherwise reserved for sharks? <smile>

Any other advice, tips, rants or jokes are also welcome.

oh yeah, and have I told you how terrific you look in that color....

AtDhVaAnNkCsE
B.

Last edited:

Ottawa

Jan 3, 2005
great diving, great people

we learned from a man in Sosua;who is the reason that we continued to vacation there and to eventually buy there. He is the most patient instructor, even for a loud mouth Canadian woman of Irish decent [me]
you can contact him at the dive shop on Casa Marina beach in Sosua or at www.scubavideophoto.com say hi to Mauricio from us

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
regina-Duo said:
The A.I. includes some snorkle time but I don't know if thats in the pool, shower, puddles left from the rain or if it involves a boat trip. Sand is nice to look at but only if its long enough to see it turn to glass.......

Neither of us have tried scuba before. Again, the A.I. (we are all intending this to mean all inclusive as opposed to artificial intelligence ... right? sankies not withstanding.... ) anyway, the A.I. includes one scuba lesson. Can anyone give me some advice as to where to go to for some safe newbie diving without costing me the arm or leg that would otherwise reserved for sharks?

the scuba lesson at your hotel will be for approx. one hour in the hotel pool. this is mainly to determine if scuba is for you, as some people are unable to get the hang of breathing through the regulator, while others take to it easily. If you wish to do any serious diving you will need to get your PADI certification, which is typically a 3 day program.

try these guys: http://www.northerncoastdiving.com/education2.html as they have a diving-in-one-day program that should fit your needs.

mob

regina-Duo

Jan 7, 2005
Thanks for the advice

We certainly appreciate it.

We have heard and now read so much good information about the DR that we are anxious to see the beauty for ourselves.

thanks again.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Greetings from a fellow Saskatchewanite (formerly Lampman/Estevan area). Glad you've chosen the DR as your holiday escape - my husband is Dominican, so I always love to hear of people who go and visit his beautiful country.

I agree with mobrouser, call Brad at North Coast diving, if you're going to be in the Sosua area, they are the best! I re-read your post, but don't think you specified - are you in Punta Cana or Puerto Plata?

If you are in the Puerto Plata area, I highly recommend Freestyle Catamaran - they will take you snorkelling out in the Sosua area, on a big catamaran/party boat. There used to be a live band on board, not sure if this is still true - very very good time.

Have fun!

regina-Duo

Jan 7, 2005
to POP we go.

Yes, Thanks.
I will definitely be looking them up.... if the wife's head unclogs before we have to come home.

We are staying at the victoria hotel in POP and have been scouring this forum and other websites to get a definitive comment on the water in that particular hotel. We have seen/heard that always boil everything for at least 10 minutes, some recommend buying purification tablets (that aren't for sale here), others suggest that the resort water is fine and just be careful while we are offsite. We drink a lot of coffee so are even concerned that running water through the coffee maker won't boil it enough. We are so niave that I am only guessing that getting ocean water in my mouth won't hurt, maybe it will too? Some posters here even talked about getting a machine to distill water and I would consider buying one, but would have nothing to use if for.. legally... ha ha ha... once I got back and its almost $300

Any advice you can give would be really appreciated.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi regina-Duo,

Greetings from Nova Scotia.

Do not drink the tap water.

The resort will provide you with purified water. Use that is any coffee makers.

Drink bottled water off resort - it is widely available and is inexpensive.

The ice at the resort will be made with purified water - off resort ask or pass on ice (although most places buy ice made from purified water).

Gregg