Buying at Ebay from DR???? How???

Lamia

Jul 19, 2004
Hey Peeps,

I need help! I want to purchase things on Ebay but I just don't get it...I got an International Credit Card from Banco Popular but it seems that doesn't work, I guess Ebay just doesn't except international credit cards? Is there a way to get past this? Is there ANY credit card that I can get here in the DR (a US dollar one of course) that will enable me to make online purchases on Ebay? Perhaps, setting up a paypal account with this credit card and then trying to make the purchase? Please help!

Lamia

Kimadj

Oct 23, 2003
I had the same problem, in the end I Fed-exed cheques from Banco Popular to the seller and that worked. Just make sure the seller accepts cheques first.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
I buy on Ebay on a daily basis but all my accounts are in the US, another thing the only cards that is able to open a Paypal account directly from the DR are the BANCO DEL PROGRESSO (AMERICAN EXPRESS) and CITI BANK CARDS.....

Lamia

Jul 19, 2004
Buying from Ebay

So...you're saying if I get a Banco Del Progresso American Express card set up a Paypal account with that card I should be able to buy from ebay, at least from sellers who accept paypal. Makes sense, expect for when you register they ask for a credit/debit card to confirm your identity and I'm sure that an International credit card doesn't work in this particular step. Is there a way to get around it?

Thanks!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Here's what we did:

Foreign (non US) cards aren't accepted to open a Paypal accounts (actually they are from some countries, but not the DR; and we couldn't make it work with my husband's Danish card), but we registered one of our US checking accounts in Paypal and whenever we need money we transfer it from our account to Paypal. It takes 3 business days. If you don't have a US checking account my advice is of no help.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My UK credit card worked fine to set up a Paypal account, but I had to wait till the Visa bill arrived to obtain a verification code to activate it, which put me in the doghouse with an e-Bay seller. :ermm:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Chirimoya said:
My UK credit card worked fine to set up a Paypal account, but I had to wait till the Visa bill arrived to obtain a verification code to activate it, which put me in the doghouse with an e-Bay seller. :ermm:
That's what happened to us, only that Bok's CC doesn't send him a paper statement. We never got the verification code to set up his account. We use mine, which is the one that we load from a checkign account.

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
Lamia said:
Hey Peeps,

I need help! I want to purchase things on Ebay but I just don't get it...I got an International Credit Card from Banco Popular but it seems that doesn't work, I guess Ebay just doesn't except international credit cards? Is there a way to get past this? Is there ANY credit card that I can get here in the DR (a US dollar one of course) that will enable me to make online purchases on Ebay? Perhaps, setting up a paypal account with this credit card and then trying to make the purchase? Please help!

Lamia

I buy a lot via ebay and the method I use is paypal. I openned that acc using my American Express card.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Lamia said:
So...you're saying if I get a Banco Del Progresso American Express card set up a Paypal account with that card I should be able to buy from ebay, at least from sellers who accept paypal. Makes sense, expect for when you register they ask for a credit/debit card to confirm your identity and I'm sure that an International credit card doesn't work in this particular step. Is there a way to get around it?

Thanks!

Well friend that's all the help i can provide i set up an account for a business friend and 1 years later still at work, good luck.

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
As ERICKXSON said, you should get an American Express credit card from Banco del Progreso (If you want to work with a Dominican Bank). You can use this credit card with paypal.

Also, you can get a credit card from Popular Bank in N.Y. (US Based Afilliate of Banco Popular) which will work with paypal. I have used both methods to pay with ebay/paypal account. However, I would recommend Banco del Progreso Amex Credit card as I can check the balance online.

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Cakewalk

Do it all the time. Get a Paypal account using any major credit card and a shipping address and you're good to go.

Lamia

Jul 19, 2004
Thanks for the info guys I'm trying the diff options out and I'll let you all know if it works out! :)

PCDave

Nov 11, 2004
Ebay and Shipping?

How do you ship to DR with Ebay?

I am in Bavaro and could use a reliable and inexpensive shipping method with Ebay (and for other items).

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
I've used www.bidpay.com when our paypal account was empty (and we still wanted buy more).
They accepted my Danish CC in a flash and issued/sent a moneyorder.

There's a fee though, so make sure you get a good deal when bidding....

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Pib said:
That's what happened to us, only that Bok's CC doesn't send him a paper statement. We never got the verification code to set up his account. We use mine, which is the one that we load from a checkign account.

Hate to quote myself, but I seem to have worked something out here:

We have a verified paypal account (they checked that we have a checking account in the US). I almost always use the money to buy stuff on Ebay, which I wanted to do today, only I didn't have enough and didn't want to wait the 4-day period for the bank transfer to go through.

I "emailed" myself a few dolars using my local Visa BHD credit card and it did go through (I opened a separate paypal account). A nifty way to transfer fast money into our paypal account, one which I will sendomly use anyways because paypal does charge my verified account for this transaction, which it doesn't do if I just transfer money from our checking account.

Well, my point is, you can buy stuff on Ebay with local credit cards. Funny for me it is the first time in my life I use my credit card to buy stuff on the net. I am very reluctant to use credit cards for anything. I am old-fashioned like that.

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
funny thing happens to me, like 3 weeks ago I was in NY and I bought four item on ebay when I tried to paid them with my paypal account, it was rejected, I have my paypal account set up with an amex card issued in the DR . I called paypal and amex, with amex there's no problem, but paypal told me that some verified accounts in some countries had been banned because of some "transactions" with this kind of acc. and they don't have the legal method to proceed. I think that it's not fair that we all get the same restrictions if we're outside the US because I'm an old user of ebay and never I had problem before.
I have to try to buy another item from here (DR) to see if the problem was the location..
But besides this inconvenience I'm very glad with ebay.

Pib said:
Hate to quote myself, but I seem to have worked something out here:

We have a verified paypal account (they checked that we have a checking account in the US). I almost always use the money to buy stuff on Ebay, which I wanted to do today, only I didn't have enough and didn't want to wait the 4-day period for the bank transfer to go through.

I "emailed" myself a few dolars using my local Visa BHD credit card and it did go through (I opened a separate paypal account). A nifty way to transfer fast money into our paypal account, one which I will sendomly use anyways because paypal does charge my verified account for this transaction, which it doesn't do if I just transfer money from our checking account.

Well, my point is, you can buy stuff on Ebay with local credit cards. Funny for me it is the first time in my life I use my credit card to buy stuff on the net. I am very reluctant to use credit cards for anything. I am old-fashioned like that.