Traveling to DR with USA phone

Jun 5, 2004
Im wondering how much does a sim card cost in the dominican republic to put on a phone? I have T mobile in the US can I just put any sim card in? What is the best Cell phone company in DR someone please answer.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
(GSM) unlocked

If you have an unlocked cell (GSM) phone purhased in the US or Canada, you can then buy a SIM card from any of the DR carriers and get a DR number. Cost is around $10USD.

The advantage to this is that you can use the phone almost any where in the world simply by changing SIM cards.
Charlie

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
chuckuindy said:
If you have an unlocked cell (GSM) phone purhased in the US or Canada, you can then buy a SIM card from any of the DR carriers and get a DR number. Cost is around $10USD.

The advantage to this is that you can use the phone almost any where in the world simply by changing SIM cards.
Charlie

Actually this is almost correct. You can interchangeably use unlocked GSM US telephones (provided they use the chip system) in the DR, because they operate on the same frequency-band. You cannot use the phone in other zones unless they support the other frequency used in this zone as well.

This is the case with so-called tri-band phones, which support all three frequencies used around the globe. Most newer models sold in Europe are tri-band, so can be used in all countries.

Quisqueyana32

Jan 8, 2005
Cell phone

apdomini100max said:
Im wondering how much does a sim card cost in the dominican republic to put on a phone? I have T mobile in the US can I just put any sim card in? What is the best Cell phone company in DR someone please answer.

It's so much better to get another sim card then to use T-mobile. I used my T-mobile last year and it cost me 1.99 a minute. Verizon in DR is also a good place to go. Verizon owns the tephone company "Codetel".

Good luck.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
apdomini100max said:

Pass by my shop and i'll get it unlocked for you........ then for 350 pesos you can get a Pre-Paid orange Chip with 100 pesos of Airtime FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Quisqueyana32 said:
It's so much better to get another sim card then to use T-mobile. I used my T-mobile last year and it cost me 1.99 a minute. Verizon in DR is also a good place to go. Verizon owns the tephone company "Codetel".

Good luck.

Actually, Verizon owns Verizon DR. The Codetel name was phased out several months ago.

MarkusL1

May 3, 2004
cost of cell phone usage in DR

Hello,

The T-mobil tip seems to be a great idea.
How much is it per minute to use a local cell phone within the DR? Do you have to pay for incoming calls, like in the US? Anything else different in compare to cell phone usage in the US? How is teh coverage?

Thanks for your input.

Markus

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
The answer I am looking for

ERICKXSON said:
Pass by my shop and i'll get it unlocked for you........ then for 350 pesos you can get a Pre-Paid orange Chip with 100 pesos of Airtime FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your answer is perfect for me Erickxson however where abouts is your shop located at, please tell me Sosua :)