Christopher Columbus may not be in DR

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
Just to let you all know.
If you have been following up on the news this is the latest as of 10/04.
In june 03, experts exhumed what is believed to be Colon, his brother Diego, and colon's illegitimate son Hernando. They know for a fact that those are Hernando's, because he was never moved once he was buried. They used the two to compare if the third are really Colon. As of 10/04 preliminary tests show it is Colon. The Dominican gov't did not allow the exhumation of the remains in the lighthouse. They say they will allow testing in the futre when the techniques are better.
Columbus travelled in death as much as in life. He died in Spain May 6, 1506.

His will stated he wanted to be buried in Santo Domingo. At the time there was no cathedral of for a person of such gradeur, so until it was finished he was buried there in citty of Valladolid, 3yrs later he was moved to the Carthusian Monastary, finally in 1537 in Santo Domingo when the catherdral was finished. His remains were accompanied by those of his brother Diego.

When the French took over DR he was sent to Havana, and when the Spaniards were in war there he was sent to Spain. Where he remained.
But in 1877 when the catheral in Santo Domingo was having work done, some diggers found a box with the inscription: Enlightened Male Cristobal Colon. This led those in Santo Domingo to believe that Spain took the wrong remains, those of Diego.

I really hope the gov't will allow testing in the future.
What would the reaction of the Dominican Republic be if it turns out we counstructed this huge, and expensive lighthouse for Colon but we have the remains of some joeshmoe of the past.
What a shock that would be.

I have been keeping up on this news since june '03. Any more info I will let you all know.

source: Discovery News at discovery.com

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
DMAO said:
Just to let you all know.
If you have been following up on the news this is the latest as of 10/04.
In june 03, experts exhumed what is believed to be Colon, his brother Diego, and colon's illegitimate son Hernando. They know for a fact that those are Hernando's, because he was never moved once he was buried. They used the two to compare if the third are really Colon. As of 10/04 preliminary tests show it is Colon. The Dominican gov't did not allow the exhumation of the remains in the lighthouse. They say they will allow testing in the futre when the techniques are better.
Columbus travelled in death as much as in life. He died in Spain May 6, 1506.

His will stated he wanted to be buried in Santo Domingo. At the time there was no cathedral of for a person of such gradeur, so until it was finished he was buried there in citty of Valladolid, 3yrs later he was moved to the Carthusian Monastary, finally in 1537 in Santo Domingo when the catherdral was finished. His remains were accompanied by those of his brother Diego.

When the French took over DR he was sent to Havana, and when the Spaniards were in war there he was sent to Spain. Where he remained.
But in 1877 when the catheral in Santo Domingo was having work done, some diggers found a box with the inscription: Enlightened Male Cristobal Colon. This led those in Santo Domingo to believe that Spain took the wrong remains, those of Diego.

What would the reaction of the Dominican Republic be if it turns out we counstructed this huge, and expensive lighthouse for Colon but we have the remains of some joeshmoe of the past.

I have been keeping up on this news since june '03. Any more info I will let you all know.

source: Discovery News at discovery.com

I dont think that the DR built this light house for the sole purpose of having the remains there.

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
A lot of dominicans including me could care less whose remains some spaniards are fussing with AgaiN. It doesn't and it won't help any immediate problems for any one of us dominicans. I highly doubt the results of "the bones" will shock many people. I do get upset at the defacing of all our monuments by some scum bags to strip and sell whatever they can. Errr, the light house in honor of Columbus is very well received and I like the design. Besides, it makes the area look much better.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
When the French took over DR he was sent to Havana, and when the Spaniards were in war there he was sent to Spain.
This is where the story takes a twist.

What was moved to Havana, were the bones of Columbus's brother or son (can't remember which one). Those are the bones that made it to Spain and to Seville and those are the bones that were recently tested in Spain, proving those bones are not Christopher's.

I believe it was Padre Billini who discovered a chapel that was sealed in the Cathedral during a renovation in the mid 1700s. Up to that point, everybody thought Columbus was in Spain, but the chapel was opened and there laid a box with the inscriptions "El Almirante Cristobal Colon". From that point forward the dispute has arisen.

However, if you read book titled "The Log of Columbus" by Tavianni (forgot his first name), in the last chapter Tavianni gives a very good and accurate account of what happened and why he believes Columbus is in Santo Domingo.

In addition to all of that, the DR government refuses to let the Spaniards take bone fragments out because of fear that the Spaniards will then claim that such fragments are the one's from their own and not the Dominican one's.

However, all that the Spaniards have to do is test every single other "Columbus" out there, it will most likely end up negative to start with.

I'm convinced that Columbus is in the Faro A Colon simply because the fact points that way.

Read that book, it will really give you an insight into my general belief towards Columbus, which are generally positive.

I think Columbus was a Great man.

He was a man who lived according to his times, not like Saints.

Those are the bones of Columbus, the Spaniards better bring all the equipment to SDQ if they want to test it. Remember, once those bones leave the island, they can be lost forever! We have to protect them as much as we can.

Columbus must remain in Santo Domingo, after all, this is the only City Columbus public showed his love for and the only city named by Columbus after his own Father. You see, Santo Domingo was created in a sort of Family affair.

I just wish the World recognize that Columbus was not an intentionally bad guy. Sure, he did a few less than ideal things, but the same can be said of all great leaders of the world.

Columbus was a man of his time, who thought in the terms of his time, lived according to the norms of his times, and reacted in the way people would have reacted in his times, not like saints!

As such, the world should start to love Columbus!

Besides, if the world ends up loving Columbus again, then that means they will develop an urge to see his mortal remains and that means, a visit to Santo Domingo. The economy will surely benefit from such thing!

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
Nal0whs said:
This is where the story takes a twist.

What was moved to Havana, were the bones of Columbus's brother or son (can't remember which one). Those are the bones that made it to Spain and to Seville and those are the bones that were recently tested in Spain, proving those bones are not Christopher's.

I believe it was Padre Billini who discovered a chapel that was sealed in the Cathedral during a renovation in the mid 1700s. Up to that point, everybody thought Columbus was in Spain, but the chapel was opened and there laid a box with the inscriptions "El Almirante Cristobal Colon". From that point forward the dispute has arisen.

However, if you read book titled "The Log of Columbus" by Tavianni (forgot his first name), in the last chapter Tavianni gives a very good and accurate account of what happened and why he believes Columbus is in Santo Domingo.

In addition to all of that, the DR government refuses to let the Spaniards take bone fragments out because of fear that the Spaniards will then claim that such fragments are the one's from their own and not the Dominican one's.

However, all that the Spaniards have to do is test every single other "Columbus" out there, it will most likely end up negative to start with.

I'm convinced that Columbus is in the Faro A Colon simply because the fact points that way.

Read that book, it will really give you an insight into my general belief towards Columbus, which are generally positive.

I think Columbus was a Great man.

He was a man who lived according to his times, not like Saints.

Those are the bones of Columbus, the Spaniards better bring all the equipment to SDQ if they want to test it. Remember, once those bones leave the island, they can be lost forever! We have to protect them as much as we can.

Columbus must remain in Santo Domingo, after all, this is the only City Columbus public showed his love for and the only city named by Columbus after his own Father. You see, Santo Domingo was created in a sort of Family affair.

I just wish the World recognize that Columbus was not an intentionally bad guy. Sure, he did a few less than ideal things, but the same can be said of all great leaders of the world.

Columbus was a man of his time, who thought in the terms of his time, lived according to the norms of his times, and reacted in the way people would have reacted in his times, not like saints!

As such, the world should start to love Columbus!

Besides, if the world ends up loving Columbus again, then that means they will develop an urge to see his mortal remains and that means, a visit to Santo Domingo. The economy will surely benefit from such thing!

Thanks for your post. I was hoping many of the DR1 intelectuals like yourself would post. I hope others will. There are many here that can give me more info on Columbus.

Thanks for the book. I too think Coloumbus was a great man. He accomplished more than was was credited to him. He as any other human did many mistakes however, most of what we fault him with was actually done by those who followed him. He came with the right intentions but came with the wrong people. He deserves his place in history. He will always be nown as he wanted to be known: Almirante Cristoforos Colombo.

p.s Pls, those of you with info. post your useful knowledge.