first trip to DR and im abit scared

Brooksie

Dec 21, 2004
not scared in the usual sense of physical danger however i must admit besides seeing new places and immersing myself into an unfamiliar culture, i travel to hopefully have a romantic encounter and meet a woman of outstanding intelligence and beauty that i can share my experience with.

so when usair announced a 199 rt from hartford ct to santo domingo, i jumped at the chance without researching as i havent had a new adventure in quite some time. i usually just traveled into mexico and stay across the bay of cancun on isla mujeres where i would meet hordes of european travellers to party with and enjoy many sunsets looking for that someone special for 3 or 4 weeks.

this is where the scary part comes in. by searching for more hours than i care to admit on DR1, it appears that i might be in for a surprise when i arrive.

this is what ive learned from searching:

my competion for european women's affection will be from a sankie (that word is so funny to me),

i dont have a chance in heck will a local woman of substance because i dont speak the language very well and even tho i have a little game, they really arent going to waste there time with me. (cant really blame them)

i will be offered sex pretty much everywhere i go near the tourist areas which kinda freaks me out as im a real sucker when it comes to women and i have the scars to prove it. which might lead me to believe that she really likes me

i should stay away from massage parlors as they are about the worst thing i could do. (this one bummed me out because i really wanted a good massage)

anyways, i will arrive in the afternoon on wednesday the 12th for 3 weeks and will probably just grab a cab into boca chica and pick out one of the hotels off the beach that ricktoronto mentions and firstly work on getting a tan for a few days, then start travelling around and check out the places ive read about. the only place i really dont want to go is punta cana for some reason but im sure its beautiful.

not really sure if this post is in the right spot but im sure you will forgive my ignorance as first posts are usually pretty weak anyways.

just a quick shout out to everyone here as you have formed an incredible community that truly tries to help each other while at the same time spreading the word about the dominican republic and the realities of it all.

ive checked out the photo album and when i make it up to the north coast and go to rocky's to watch a game or something, i will hopefully run into someone i recognize and the first round is on me

have a great life everyone

michael

Dec 9, 2002
What's to be scared about??

I'm a bit confused by your post - you say you think you are in for a surprise when you arrive in DR, then you go on to list all the things you have discovered from your research on DR1 - so where will the surprise come in?

Just relax, use your common sense, and enjoy your holiday. Just bear in mind that although you will undoubtedly meet some beautiful women, you are highly unlikely to meet anyone of "outstanding intelligence" - I won't be there ;) ;) ;)

Brooksie

Dec 21, 2004
thx DB, i can see my post was a bit inconsistent which you correctly picked up on. the only thing i will say in my defense is no matter how much you read or listen, until the day arrives and your walking down the street with your personal beliefs and filters, you never really know what to expect.

im going to have a great time no matter what, i expect to do alot of people watching and take it all in.

ive also learned more important things of how to blend into the surroundings so ive dusted off my hawaiian shirts and sandals however i still need to purchase some white socks. ill also talk abit louder than normal, and act like i know everything which usually garners respect from people listening to me.

just having a little fun ;)

thx for the reply and i can see your intelligence thru your words

take care of yourself,

michael

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hola Michael welcome to DR1.
Go with an open mind and be ready for new adventures. Everyone sees things differntly. Sometimes I read the Hotel reviews and by the end I'm more confused then ever. LOL.

You make your own good times. Traveling in order to hopefully have a romantic encounter and meet a woman of outstanding intelligence and beauty that you can share your experience with sounds too much like a novel or a movie made from a novel. NOT that it couldn't happen but you're setting yourself up for disappointment if that's all you expect.

Good luck and have fun.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Brooksie said:
i dont have a chance in heck will a local woman of substance because i dont speak the language very well and even tho i have a little game, they really arent going to waste there time with me. (cant really blame them)

michael

The street behind The Jarragua Hotel is lined with places, so walk and talk to local women during the day. Some may even speak English.

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
Hola! Bienvenidos

Dont be worried bout a thing, you'll love the DR. Personally Sosua is my favourite place cos i think its fab an laid back. And about competition from sankies, if the european woman isnt stupid then she wouldnt fall for a sankie, maybe agenuine dominican guy, but you gotta be a bit blind to fall for a sankie. No worries bout it, you'll have a shock, its so laid back and its beautiful. Have a good time. Adios, Naomi

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
britishgirl said:
Hola! Bienvenidos

Dont be worried bout a thing, you'll love the DR. Personally Sosua is my favourite place cos i think its fab an laid back. And about competition from sankies, if the european woman isnt stupid then she wouldnt fall for a sankie, maybe agenuine dominican guy, but you gotta be a bit blind to fall for a sankie. No worries bout it, you'll have a shock, its so laid back and its beautiful. Have a good time. Adios, Naomi

Why would this guy compete against the sankie's? He will lose to the sankie's, because the sankie's have home court advantage and the women go there for the sankie's not the tourist guys. It's the sankie turf, he will have to take the leftovers.

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
stallion said:
Why would this guy compete against the sankie's? He will lose to the sankie's, because the sankie's have home court advantage and the women go there for the sankie's not the tourist guys. It's the sankie turf, he will have to take the leftovers.

Not all tourists go for sankies. Like I said I sympathize with the ones who dont know what they are falling into but if women go there FOR the sankies deliberately then thats just bad. I think he will love the DR. Some people dont even go outside the hotel on their first visit and middle aged women woudnt fall for a resort worker 'cos they are nearly all young. I also think that if you go on any organized trips, go with Mel's tours or something. A lot cheaper :glasses:

DRShine

Jan 3, 2005
Hola!

Welcome! Great choice coming here. I just joined up too. Hey, we're newbie brothers! But seriously, just have a blast and use common sense. Just watch out for sankies/sankettes and you'll be absolutely fine. Have fun.
By the way, DON'T DRINK THE TAP WATER! :paranoid: